Author Topic: Lebron's Equality shoes and throwing shade at Trump  (Read 1494 times)

Lebron's Equality shoes and throwing shade at Trump
« on: December 17, 2017, 11:48:08 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5502
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21798098/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-dons-black-white-equality-sneakers-washington-dc

"We all know where we are right now, and we know who is at the helm here," James said when asked about his choice of footwear after the Cavaliers' 106-99 win. "Us as Americans, no matter the skin color, no matter the race, no matter who you are, I think we all have to understand that having equal rights and being able to stand for something and speak for something and keeping the conversation going [is important].

"Obviously, I've been very outspoken and well-spoken about the situation that's going on at the helm here, and we're not going to let one person dictate us, us as Americans, how beautiful and how powerful we are as a people. Equality is all about understanding our rights, understanding what we stand for and how powerful we are as men and women, black or white or Hispanic. It doesn't matter your race, whatever the case may be, this is a beautiful country, and we're never going to let one person dictate how beautiful and how powerful we are."

Proud of Lebron for this stance or is he wrong to make an equality statement and then say, without saying it, that Trump isn't pushing an "equality" agenda.

Re: Lebron's Equality shoes and throwing shade at Trump
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:27:50 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 24
I think it's hilarious that LeBron toots his own horn about how "well-spoken" he is. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 12:34:07 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1244
Seems fine if he's well-intentioned and authentic with the comment.  No issue here with athletes using their platform to raise attention to a political issue.  But in general, I think these comments (and recent actions) would carry more weight if they were specific to a current issue.

Also noted the "well-spoken" comment.  I'm out of touch with what's cool, but maybe displaying some arrogance is the new thing.

"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 04:17:31 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 429
Seems fine if he's well-intentioned and authentic with the comment.  No issue here with athletes using their platform to raise attention to a political issue.  But in general, I think these comments (and recent actions) would carry more weight if they were specific to a current issue.

Also noted the "well-spoken" comment.  I'm out of touch with what's cool, but maybe displaying some arrogance is the new thing.

I think LeBron was probably trying to say something along the lines of "politely spoken" - in order to contrast his rhetoric with Trump's which is invariably vitriolic, bombastic, exaggerated, and unnecessarily mean, i.e not polite - and just used the wrong(ish) word. Dictionary says that it can be construed as speaking in a "refined manner". LeBron's commentary on social issues has been nuanced and refined over the years.

He also alludes to keeping the "conversation going" which tracks Trump's willingness to engage in truly childish and destructive rhetoric . Can you imagine if Obama had repeatedly tagged Fox as "fake news" - just because it was routinely critical of him. Republicans would be (rightly) furious.

This slightly awkward use of language happens all the time with ballers who are rarely pompous English lit. grads. I don't think much should be read into it.

P.S Kudos to LeBron. Once again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:22:34 AM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 06:37:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1060
It is a stunt, to soften the blow and gain support. for when he leaves CLE this summer.

Maybe someone can enlighten but what exactly has Pres. Trump done to Afro-Americans?

I later found that this is a campaign by NIKE.

https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/go/equality

LeBron is paid to support stuff to sell it.   Comments or no, this had to do with money as well on some level.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:28:09 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 10:15:46 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1184
Hilarious

He litterally campaigned for Hillary who called black men super predators.

LeBron is a fool, you'd think he'd have some big brains in that giant roid head, guess not....

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 10:26:50 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Maybe someone can enlighten but what exactly has Pres. Trump done to Afro-Americans?

Besides working hard on a tax cut that would doom most of them?  He's working on other methods to keep them down too.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 10:53:36 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 132
  • Forever LIT

Hey mods, can I answer this question? I don't want to accidentally derail the thread, so I want to ask permission first.

If I can't that's cool.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm sorry, is that a real question?!
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 58

No one can give  specifics on how Trump has held down the Afro-Americans? Because he hasn't done anything or said anything to hold them down.  It's just left wing rhetoric because they hate Trump so much. They won't tell you how this tax plan is going to boost the economy so everyone benefits.  They won't tell you that GDP for the fourth quarter of 2017 is close to 4%, something Obama didn't even get close to.  They won't tell you that the labor participation rate is getting better under Trump and was worse under Obama/Bush..

The reality is the left (Dems) don't want  Black people to do well because they are afraid they would lose their vote. Look at every major city that has the highest poverty rate for Black people ( Detroit, Chicago, etc) they have all been run by democrats for multiple decades. But no one blames them.  It doesn't fit the narrative.
The left won't tell you these things or give specifics on how Trump is holding black people down, because there are no specifics and they don't have an intelligent answer.

Btw..if your going to mention Charlottesville, you better mention ANTIFA too.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 05:55:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1060
I'm sorry, is that a real question?!

Yes, please enlighten me.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2434
Hilarious

He litterally campaigned for Hillary who called black men super predators.

LeBron is a fool, you'd think he'd have some big brains in that giant roid head, guess not....

Would you care to post links to stuff you state here?

You seem to hit the "post" button without giving much thought OR preparing to back up your statements with credible sources.

And once again - making references to LeBron's "alleged" steroid use makes this Blog look small.

You're better than this - or at least I hope.
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 537

No one can give  specifics on how Trump has held down the Afro-Americans? Because he hasn't done anything or said anything to hold them down.  It's just left wing rhetoric because they hate Trump so much. They won't tell you how this tax plan is going to boost the economy so everyone benefits.  They won't tell you that GDP for the fourth quarter of 2017 is close to 4%, something Obama didn't even get close to.  They won't tell you that the labor participation rate is getting better under Trump and was worse under Obama/Bush..

The reality is the left (Dems) don't want  Black people to do well because they are afraid they would lose their vote. Look at every major city that has the highest poverty rate for Black people ( Detroit, Chicago, etc) they have all been run by democrats for multiple decades. But no one blames them.  It doesn't fit the narrative.
The left won't tell you these things or give specifics on how Trump is holding black people down, because there are no specifics and they don't have an intelligent answer.

Housing discrimination. Probably pretty devastating knowing you can't get decent housing due to your skin color.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/us/politics/donald-trump-housing-race.html?_r=0

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 92

Housing discrimination. Probably pretty devastating knowing you can't get decent housing due to your skin color.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/us/politics/donald-trump-housing-race.html?_r=0
The one example is of something legal, despite its immorality, from the 70's

Hardly relevant to his presidency, but that doesn't stop those on the left ::)

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 07:38:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2434

I won't get into "Left vs Right" politics because we'll be going back and forth here FOREVER.

Where "I" am from - we focused on the MISSION - regardless of race, creed, sex or religion - to get the job DONE.

That was the U.S. Navy. God I miss it. Too bad much of politics (and this country) nowadays don't get it.

Now? We had President Trump calling NFL players "Sons of Bs" - because they chose to kneel for the anthem - a God-given RIGHT that MY SERVICE in the Navy GIVES them.....

He has chastised Steph Curry for his refusal to go to the White House. On Twitter.

And YES - from "MY" point of view I "WILL" mention Charlottesville because it is only 4-5 hours from where I live - right here in Virginia.

To have an invading army descend on my state like that in August and take Mrs. Heyer's life

..is something that was shocking, sad and terrifying to me.

This same "Base" that Pres. Trump inadvertantly (I pray) touts was EMBOLDENED to go to Charlottesville over the discussion surrounding the removal of a Robert E Lee Confederate statue. They came to Charlottesville with torches and TBH to "ME" as a Black man it looked terrifying.

You know, just a couple of years ago ANOTHER misguided young man took NINE lives in a Bible study in South Carolina.

He touted the Confederate Flag. He has horrific views as well.

President Obama bore the burden of attending that funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9IGyidtfGI

I'd challenge you to WATCH that 37 min video because it's powerful and full of HOPE - even in the midst of tragedy such as this.

I won't "bore" you (or anyone else here) by my rambling but I'll leave you with this.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/15/us/charlottesville-klansman-black-man-meeting/index.html

It's too bad that it's almost 2018, we've had a Black President, ALMOST had our 1st Woman President and IMO we are STILL miles apart as far as how we view things in this country. But at LEAST the two gentleman above in the picture seem to be at least TRYING to get it.

This is why I applaud LeBron James for what he does.
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens