Poll

Would you guys do any of these trades?

Harkless + Portland 2018 first round pick for Smart + filler(s)
7 (36.8%)
Aminu + 2019 second rounder from Minny or L.A. Lakers (more favorable) for Smart
3 (15.8%)
Both trades suck
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Idea : Smart to the Blazers might be a possibility?  (Read 2743 times)

Idea : Smart to the Blazers might be a possibility?
« on: February 03, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm reading the Blazers may be interested in Smart.

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/03/report-marcus-smart-available-for-first-round-pick/

Quote from: http://celticswire.usatoday.com
One hypothetical destination that comes to mind is the Portland Trail Blazers, who the Celtics host on Sunday. Whether they’d be willing to give up a first round pick is debatable, but Smart would add some extra defensive prowess to the duo of CJ McCollum and Damian Lillard. Smart has shown no problems playing up a position and also has a knack for guarding bigger players.

Maurice Harkless, a 6-9 forward, has not played much for the Blazers this season and is under contract for two more seasons after this one. He fits the type of switchability the Celtics are aiming to have across the board.

But it remains to be seen whether his contract, two more years at $10.3 million and $11 million, is what the Celtics are looking for. But if a pick is on the table, the Celtics would at least listen to deals for Smart.

So basically the idea is Harkless + (let's say) #21 for Smart + filler(s). Personally speaking, I wouldn't do it. Harkless is on a terrible contract till 2019/20.

What about Aminu + 2019 second rounder from Minny or L.A. Lakers (more favorable) for Smart? Do you guys think the Blazers would be interested in such a deal? Aminu is on a bargain contract till 2019. He would be a nice fit for us next to Horford.

- great help defender
- can stretch the floor
- grabs 7 boards per 30 mins this season

Kyrie
Brown
Tatum
Aminu
Horford
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:18:17 PM by Jvalin »

Re: Idea : Smart to the Blazers might be a possibility?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 06:44:48 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I don't think Danny is settling for 2nd rounders. If Woj's report are true, Portland have to include a 1st rounder to make the deal work.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm reading the Blazers may be interested in Smart.

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/03/report-marcus-smart-available-for-first-round-pick/

Quote from: http://celticswire.usatoday.com
One hypothetical destination that comes to mind is the Portland Trail Blazers, who the Celtics host on Sunday. Whether they’d be willing to give up a first round pick is debatable, but Smart would add some extra defensive prowess to the duo of CJ McCollum and Damian Lillard. Smart has shown no problems playing up a position and also has a knack for guarding bigger players.

Maurice Harkless, a 6-9 forward, has not played much for the Blazers this season and is under contract for two more seasons after this one. He fits the type of switchability the Celtics are aiming to have across the board.

But it remains to be seen whether his contract, two more years at $10.3 million and $11 million, is what the Celtics are looking for. But if a pick is on the table, the Celtics would at least listen to deals for Smart.

So basically the idea is Harkless + (let's say) #21 for Smart + filler(s). Personally speaking, I wouldn't do that. Harkless is on a terrible contract till 2019/20.

What about Aminu + 2019 second rounder from Minny or L.A. Lakers (more favorable) for Smart? Do you guys think the Blazers would be interested in such a deal? Aminu is on a bargain contract till 2019. He would be a nice fit for us next to Horford.

- great help defender
- can stretch the floor
- grabs 7 boards per 30 mins this season

Kyrie
Brown
Tatum
Aminu
Horford

Harkless and Aminu are signed on for 3 years.  We might as well resign Smart anyways.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:53:36 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Part of moving Smart for a first rounder is to open up a roster spot to make a move for Evans. So trading for an other player/s would be pointless. So you'd need to do a two for one to make it work out the way DA seems to be heading.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Harkless and Aminu are signed on for 3 years.  We might as well resign Smart anyways.
Aminu's contract expires in 2019.

2017/18  $7,319,035
2018/19  $6,957,105

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Aminu's contract expires in 2019.

2017/18  $7,319,035
2018/19  $6,957,105

Don't know how you can justify Smart for Aminu and maybe a late first rounder. But then again Ainge doesn't care what anyone thinks.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Part of moving Smart for a first rounder is to open up a roster spot to make a move for Evans. So trading for an other player/s would be pointless. So you'd need to do a two for one to make it work out the way DA seems to be heading.

Then why not trade Smart for Evans straight up?

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 10:02:51 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Then why not trade Smart for Evans straight up?

I'd do that, but for what ever reason the Griz are rumored in wanting a first rounder for Evans. Might be to start their rebuild, and yes Smart would be a good piece for a rebuild, but they must want to cut payroll for a few years and just have cheap rookie contracts.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 10:23:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I’m trying to remember the last time there was a rumor along the lines of “player X on the Celtics is available for Y.”

It’s an honest question. It just doesn’t seem like Danny tips his hand on stuff like that. Maybe my memory is bad.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 11:00:09 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Initially voted no to both, but actually the Aminu deal isn't bad. Sort of like the Bradley trade. Definite no to Harkless though with his contract.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Kind of out of the blue, but if the C's keep Smart rest of this season and Blazers decide to start a bit of a rebuild this summer, would you consider Smart (via S & T), Morris, other salary, Lakers/Kings Pick, and some future picks for CJ McCollum? Kyrie-McCollum going forward with Rozier and Brown off the bench. Thoughts? Or horrible idea?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Kind of out of the blue, but if the C's keep Smart rest of this season and Blazers decide to start a bit of a rebuild this summer, would you consider Smart (via S & T), Morris, other salary, Lakers/Kings Pick, and some future picks for CJ McCollum? Kyrie-McCollum going forward with Rozier and Brown off the bench. Thoughts? Or horrible idea?

I'd rather save our assets for a Davis trade, even if we have to wait a year.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 01:13:07 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

I'm not a fan for the same reason I'm not a Lou Williams fan, I just think two smaller scoring guards who are below average defenders isn't a good recipe for winning.  Having Brown's size, defense and improving offense is a better fit with Irving, imo.