Author Topic: What Makes A Player a "Scorer"? (Debate among co-workers).  (Read 663 times)

Re: What Makes A Player a "Scorer"? (Debate among co-workers).
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 335
They're both scorers.

I think a scorer is anybody whose skills allow them to score consistently, at a reasonable volume, and in a variety of ways, without needing to expend a great deal of effort.  A scorer is not necessarily hyper efficient, but a scorer should be able to regularly create offense out of bad situations.
I think that's the key. Someone who can regularly create a decent shot out of nothing.

I don't even think scoring versatility is important. I think Shaq was a great scorer but he really only did it one way: out the of post.

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »

Online triboy16f

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 464
Needs to be a little selfish

Knows the angles/tricks to get shot off

Knows how to get to the line

Likes 80 percent of shots to take

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 551
I always saw a scorer as a guy who could manipulate his defender to force a foul or get off a clean shot on a consistent basis against 70% of his competition.

Shooters I look at as guys who take shots only when plays are designed for them or they are open. They want clean looks.

Scorers usually look for contact while shooters shy away from it.
My Top 5
Trade targets.      Draft.                     FAs
1. Davis              1.Fultz              1. Griffin*
2. Cousins          2. Tatum          2. Hayward
3. Butler              3. Jackson       3. Millsap
4. George            4. Ball               4. Lowry
5. Favors             5. Isaac            5. Gali

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 58
They're both scorers.

I think a scorer is anybody whose skills allow them to score consistently, at a reasonable volume, and in a variety of ways, without needing to expend a great deal of effort.  A scorer is not necessarily hyper efficient, but a scorer should be able to regularly create offense out of bad situations.
I think that's the key. Someone who can regularly create a decent shot out of nothing.

I don't even think scoring versatility is important. I think Shaq was a great scorer but he really only did it one way: out the of post.

So would you consider Rondo a Great Scorer, This is his MO right.. Creating great offense out of nothing.

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »

Online tarheelsxxiii

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1282
I always considered the "scorer' label to be a mutually exclusive one. So a scorer is somewhat limited-- strictly a shot creator (for himself) that can go off at any given time.  For example, Jamal Crawford, Lou Williams, Carmelo, etc. I'd like to sneak Swaggy P in there because "Swaggy P."

Other guys can be elite offensive talents, but if they do a lot more than that, I'd add to that title.  For example, I'd consider Westbrook a 'score first PG, and LeBron a 'beast.'

That said, I think you should quit goofing around at work, pal.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:15:42 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

"You see how organizations treat players. Isaiah took his team to the ECF, and they traded him. It makes you wonder: Does this organization really have my back?"
-Anthony Davis

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 829
Scorer almost has a negative connotation in my mind.  Like it is the only thing you can do.
Ohio State 2014/15 National Champions.

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »

Online tarheelsxxiii

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1282
Scorer almost has a negative connotation in my mind.  Like it is the only thing you can do.

Same. You said it more efficiently than I.
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

"You see how organizations treat players. Isaiah took his team to the ECF, and they traded him. It makes you wonder: Does this organization really have my back?"
-Anthony Davis

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 10:18:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• NCE
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1955
Kobe gene

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 335
They're both scorers.

So would you consider Rondo a Great Scorer, This is his MO right.. Creating great offense out of nothing.
Rondo is amazing at creating for others but not much for himself. He's occasionally able to make terrific shots but he doesn't do it regularly and never did.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 08:15:57 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 201
Needs to be a little selfish
Knows the angles/tricks to get shot off
Knows how to get to the line
Likes 80 percent of shots to take
TP. I like this short explanation.
It can be implemented to soccer, handball, waterpolo etc.
"Knows how to get to the line" would just be;
How to get fouled (for a free kick/9m/earn oponents 2 min suspension) or
How to get a penalty kick/shot (11m/7m/4m).
The rest can remain universaly unchained.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."