Author Topic: Celtics may be broken  (Read 14404 times)

Re: Celtics may be broken
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I see Marc Gasol had a big night--which points to a persistent Celtics weakness: they still lack a big to defend another good big. Baynes isn't long enough, and Horford doesn't live near the basket. That's a flag for the playoffs. There will be guys they can't defend against well because they don't have the size up front.

Sounds like you didn't watch the game. Gasol hit 4 3's, 5 long 2's, and didn't have a basket in the paint.
He simply couldnt miss in that third quarter.

He was special and his release is so quick.

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2017, 08:23:40 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Best record in the east with one of the lowest minutes weighted average ages in the league and were broken.

Sigh. The melts continue.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2017, 08:34:11 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
This thread sounds like what the Red Sox are up against at ESPN and MLB network. Run by a bunch of New Yorkers. A steady diet of the Yankees. Hey, who won the division last year?

Not so with the Celtics. The NY networks have been quieted by the Knicks and Nets. The Celtics main flak these days usually comes from LA LA land, and a few haters in Philly.

Didn't they win last night? Memphis is a tough place to win--defensive team.

I see Marc Gasol had a big night--which points to a persistent Celtics weakness: they still lack a big to defend another good big. Baynes isn't long enough, and Horford doesn't live near the basket. That's a flag for the playoffs. There will be guys they can't defend against well because they don't have the size up front. That should be on the menu for Danny. Get another big veteran who is defense oriented. Tyson Chandler, for example. The Suns would love for somebody to take him off their hands. I'm sure they would help. Remember PJ Brown?
didnt many of gasol's points come from three point shots? i thought the biggest problem on defense for the celtics last game was perimeter defense.

EDIT: ooops, eddie already made this point. tp to him!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2017, 09:37:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm confused as to what people thought this team would be,  especially after Hayward went down, if not exactly what it is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'm confused as to what people thought this team would be,  especially after Hayward went down, if not exactly what it is.

It is not about what you think they would be, but what they are. Right now, that is .500 team for the last 15 games.

Edit:  That above state is wrong and they are a .600 team
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:29:05 PM by mctyson »

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2017, 09:38:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I love when a pessimist corrects his pessimism.

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2017, 09:30:55 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

It is not about what you think they would be, but what they are. Right now, that is .500 team for the last 15 games.

Still not right. They have a 66.7% winning percentage in their last 15. Closer to 70% than 60%.

FYI:

65% winning percentage is the equivalent of about a 53 win team.
70% winning percentage is the equivalent of about a 57 win team.

So this team has been playing at the rate of a 53-57 win team over the last 15 games during their drop off. Also consider the fact that they have had the most front loaded schedule in the league and are probably pretty tired right now and have been lacking in practice time.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:39:49 AM by DarkAzcura »

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
practice is overrated at this point in the season. 

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2017, 11:58:11 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

Definitely shows how little it matters when the Celtics have consistently improved their record in the second half of the season every year of Stevens' coaching tenure.

A lot of it is improved rotations but practice and especially rest due to having off days for practice are tremendously important when it comes to a Stevens' led team.

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Definitely shows how little it matters when the Celtics have consistently improved their record in the second half of the season every year of Stevens' coaching tenure.

A lot of it is improved rotations but practice and especially rest due to having off days for practice are tremendously important when it comes to a Stevens' led team.
The Cavs don't practice at all and have won 19 of 20 games.  Practice is great in the off season and to get you ready for the season, but it really isn't all that useful to a team during the season (it is also why you often see videos of guys coming back from injury playing 4 on 4, but those 8 often include staff, deep bench players, etc.).  Film study is far more useful, which is why teams do that.

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Believe Celtics have played the most games of any team in the league so far this season. That stuff matters. I don't have any deeper stats - like, for example, how many games on the road, how many miles traveled, how many back-to-backs - but playing a tighter schedule early in the year could pay off later on, after the All-Star break.

Encouraging to see a W on night 2 of a B2B over Memphis. Tight schedule this week too.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The Cavs don't practice at all and have won 19 of 20 games.  Practice is great in the off season and to get you ready for the season, but it really isn't all that useful to a team during the season (it is also why you often see videos of guys coming back from injury playing 4 on 4, but those 8 often include staff, deep bench players, etc.).  Film study is far more useful, which is why teams do that.
Cleveland is a very veteran team. Those type of teams need days off more than they need practice. Remember that was the way Doc handle the last 3 years of the Big 3 era.

These Celtics are ridiculously young and will need the practice to reinforce fundamentals on the offensive sets and defensive rotations. With the amount of days off between games in the second half of the season, I see Stevens practicing the team a lot

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Still not right. They have a 66.7% winning percentage in their last 15. Closer to 70% than 60%.

FYI:

So this team has been playing at the rate of a 53-57 win team over the last 15 games during their drop off. Also consider the fact that they have had the most front loaded schedule in the league and are probably pretty tired right now and have been lacking in practice time.

I posted that before they came back last night, so I was assuming a loss and rounding.

Also, if they play like a 53-win team for the rest of the season then yes I will be disappointed because that's the same result as last year, and that did not end well in my view.

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

FYI:

I posted that before they came back last night, so I was assuming a loss and rounding.

Also, if they play like a 53-win team for the rest of the season then yes I will be disappointed because that's the same result as last year, and that did not end well in my view.
:o

After losing Hayward in the first game, you'd be disappointed in a 53 win season? That's preposterous.

BTW, if they play at a 53-win pace for the remainder of the year, they'll finish 57-25.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think they are playing way too many games these few weeks (to make up for that London game?) and are definitely feeling it.

They are dealing with some injuries too, which is especially hurting the bench.

And yes, even if we continue to play at a .667 pace the rest of the way, that’s incredible considering we lost Hayward less than 6 minutes into the season. Nobody could have asked for more than that on October 18th. So we have 49 games remaining and @ a 67% winning percentage, that’s another 33 wins, putting us at 59 wins. That’s a superb season considering the overhaul and injury to Hayward. If we go on another run, we can definitely win over 60.
CELTICS 2024