Author Topic: Celtics may be broken  (Read 14367 times)

Re: Celtics may be broken
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2017, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Our Boston Celtics could win just HALF of their remaining games and STILL finish with nearly 50 wins.

That 16 game winning streak was SIGNIFICANT.

We're in a tough stretch right now but we'll be OK.

We need the #1 seed to have a chance in the playoffs. We’re too young

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2017, 04:27:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Our Boston Celtics could win just HALF of their remaining games and STILL finish with nearly 50 wins.

That 16 game winning streak was SIGNIFICANT.

We're in a tough stretch right now but we'll be OK.

We need the #1 seed to have a chance in the playoffs. We’re too young

True but I think the key here is to take what we can get.

I don't think many of us even thought about getting ANY seeding once Hayward went down.

What we've accomplished so far has been HUGE. Kyrie's been a Star - even SUPER at times - and the team has grown some.

I'd be happy with this team just extending this season as long as possible - regardless of seeding - and keeping the window OPEN for THIS guy to possibly return - even in a bench role

Getting Gordon "The Haymaker" Hayward back - even off the bench - would provide a spark to this team and rejuvenate us.

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

This team does have offensive depth problems but the biggest change from earlier in the year is the defense and rebounding haven't been great the in the recent stretch when they were elite early.

Irving is controlling the ball way too much - as advertised.
This is destroying Stevens' ball movement offense.

Man this is clueless.  Kyrie plays so within the system and plays off ball often and well.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

This team does have offensive depth problems but the biggest change from earlier in the year is the defense and rebounding haven't been great the in the recent stretch when they were elite early.

Irving is controlling the ball way too much - as advertised.
This is destroying Stevens' ball movement offense.

Man this is clueless.  Kyrie plays so within the system and plays off ball often and well.

Yeah, I don't think Kyrie is the problem. If anything, sometimes I think he passes too much.

The problem with this team - offensively anyway - is that we have a great #1 option in Kyrie, but no one's stepped up enough to be considered a reliable 2nd option. Al has been solid, but he's a 3rd option in the vein of Chris Bosh at best. Jaylen can do it in flashes, but he's still maddeningly inconsistent. Jayson might be the guy from a skillset stand point, but he's too passive at this point.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
This is a typical sky is falling thread. But say for example it's not. the stuff that went right during the 16 game streak isn't happening consistently.

Kyrie is playing hero ball and not backing it up, especially on the defensive end. It's nice that he scored 33 in the last game. But Rubio scored 22 (10 over his season average) and was +15. Meanwhile Kyrie was -10. Look, it doesn't help to get bunches of points when you (1) stagnate the offense and (2) give it all up on the other end by letting them execute their offense. Kyrie hasn't had a 10 assist game since opening night. That's unacceptable for a PG. 

Without Morris there's no scoring off the bench. Rozier and Smart are far too inconsistent to rely on for consistent bench scoring. With the original expected lineup we'd have Tatum and Morris first off the bench. That would work fine. But without Hayward and Morris we're missing two guys who can put up buckets and the deep bench is too inexperienced to step up right now.

If we don't get good rebounding performances from Tatum and Brown we get killed on the glass. Baynes is effective some nights but not others which is to be expected from a guy in his role. Horford is what he is, an 8 board a night guy. This isn't an unexpected problem.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2017, 10:06:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

The problem with this team - offensively anyway - is that we have a great #1 option in Kyrie, but no one's stepped up enough to be considered a reliable 2nd option. Al has been solid, but he's a 3rd option in the vein of Chris Bosh at best. Jaylen can do it in flashes, but he's still maddeningly inconsistent. Jayson might be the guy from a skillset stand point, but he's too passive at this point.

Yeah, and that man was Hayward.  25 ppg or so missing from the rotation.  I think they would have pulled him earlier in the rotation too and let him really run things more as a point forward with the bench.

I have been really happy with this year and I'm very high on the team in the long run but without Hayward I expect the Celtics will be quite similar to last year in the Playoffs.  Jaylen needs to figure things out and show consistency and I think Tatum is a star in the making but will need a season or two to be a consistent 20 ppg type.  I really like Horford but he will never consistently be your second scorer, and at the end of the day you need to score.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This is a typical sky is falling thread. But say for example it's not. the stuff that went right during the 16 game streak isn't happening consistently.

Again, there is no 'sky is falling' statement here.  I said their offense may be broken and it is showing dangerous signs.  Once again, that happened last night in Memphis where they completely tanked on offense in the 2nd quarter.

They were able to overcome this during their streak with stellar defense and a little luck.  The defense has slid, but the offense from the second unit continues to be awful. 

I stand by my original point that if this continues I can see difficult second half of the season.

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
This thread sounds like what the Red Sox are up against at ESPN and MLB network. Run by a bunch of New Yorkers. A steady diet of the Yankees. Hey, who won the division last year?

Not so with the Celtics. The NY networks have been quieted by the Knicks and Nets. The Celtics main flak these days usually comes from LA LA land, and a few haters in Philly.

Didn't they win last night? Memphis is a tough place to win--defensive team.

I see Marc Gasol had a big night--which points to a persistent Celtics weakness: they still lack a big to defend another good big. Baynes isn't long enough, and Horford doesn't live near the basket. That's a flag for the playoffs. There will be guys they can't defend against well because they don't have the size up front. That should be on the menu for Danny. Get another big veteran who is defense oriented. Tyson Chandler, for example. The Suns would love for somebody to take him off their hands. I'm sure they would help. Remember PJ Brown?

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2017, 12:30:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I see Marc Gasol had a big night--which points to a persistent Celtics weakness: they still lack a big to defend another good big. Baynes isn't long enough, and Horford doesn't live near the basket. That's a flag for the playoffs. There will be guys they can't defend against well because they don't have the size up front.

Sounds like you didn't watch the game. Gasol hit 4 3's, 5 long 2's, and didn't have a basket in the paint.

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celtics will be fine

I'm predicting Hayward will be back early March.  Help from the bench

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2017, 12:53:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I see Marc Gasol had a big night--which points to a persistent Celtics weakness: they still lack a big to defend another good big. Baynes isn't long enough, and Horford doesn't live near the basket. That's a flag for the playoffs. There will be guys they can't defend against well because they don't have the size up front.

Sounds like you didn't watch the game. Gasol hit 4 3's, 5 long 2's, and didn't have a basket in the paint.
He simply couldnt miss in that third quarter.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2017, 12:56:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
So a couple of losses and they're broken? Sigh.
agree...TP

sky is falling

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
This is funny because about 2 days ago I complained we were too much of a 1 man show and 10 posters basically told me I was over-reacting.

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This is funny because about 2 days ago I complained we were too much of a 1 man show and 10 posters basically told me I was over-reacting.
Not sure why this is funny.

Like 80% of this thread is posters telling people not to overreact.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

Again, there is no 'sky is falling' statement here.  I said their offense may be broken and it is showing dangerous signs. Once again, that happened last night in Memphis where they completely tanked on offense in the 2nd quarter.

They were able to overcome this during their streak with stellar defense and a little luck.  The defense has slid, but the offense from the second unit continues to be awful. 

I stand by my original point that if this continues I can see difficult second half of the season.

Is it? The C's are 11th in ORtg this season and that ranking has been getting better as the season has been moving along.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008