Author Topic: Celtics may be broken  (Read 14411 times)

Celtics may be broken
« on: December 15, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
There has been an alarming trend this year and finally this team is starting to crack.

They have major offensive deficiencies.  Stevens response is to go small which neutralizes their defense.  Whatever you want to say about Stevens as a coach (and I think he is a good one) - his small lineup  decisions are usually terrible.  They are terrible because those units get destroyed on the glass and on defense.

I will chalk these games up to the injuries but there is no doubt that I see a large second half swoon coming.

Re: Celtics may be broken
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:36:16 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Irving is controlling the ball way too much - as advertised.
This is destroying Stevens' ball movement offense. Remember the ball constantly moving with endless screens, hand-offs and passing ??????? Irving's domination of the ball takes the other guys, Brown & Tatum especially, out of the offense too much. They are reduced to standing around  watching Irving dribble.

Yeah, I know Irving has often shot a decent percentage and that his 4th quarter runs have won some games, but that is missing the point. Eventually, his 30+ point games are going to backfire and choke off the winning formula of team offense.

Sure hope Coach Stevens is tough enough to tell Irving what he wants and demand that he execute what is best for the team.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:38:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The truth of the matter is, we're a great team that prided itself on fighting the adversity. But we're still fairly very young and inexperienced, and we lost one of our best players to a severe injury. We're just inevitably outmatched most nights, but somehow manage to come back from it. I'm not so sad over nothing, I'm optimistic about our future. I think our young core definitely shows promise.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:38:49 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Slowly looking like the 2010-2011 season, where the Celtics begin to fall apart in the second half of the season.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:42:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
Slowly looking like the 2010-2011 season, where the Celtics begin to fall apart in the second half of the season.

Yeah, I am getting that kind of feeling.  Also a lot of 'playoff feels' from Stevens with throwing out small lineups hoping to stick and just making it worse.  I am a fan of just going with what gets you there and falling on our sword.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:47:24 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Smart is the one that is broken...aaaarggh.
Jacks up shot that we all know has no prayer of going in..His F as well is sub par these days and if that happens..he is practically useless.

I really wish we had Lou Williams type right now who is the complete opposite of Smart in terms of scoring....heck even Etwan Moore whom we let go can go off for 30 with this team right about now....MS is just a terrible..terrible offensive player right now.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 10:49:36 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
Smart is the one that is broken...aaaarggh.

As much as Smart sucks on offense, you can't blame him for getting doubled up on rebounds. 

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
bench loses leads every single game. we need a bench that can EXTEND leads so we can blow teams out and get garbage time. every game it seems we rely on kyrie to bail us out in the 4th. hes subhuman but not that subhuman

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:56 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
This is destroying Stevens' ball movement offense. Remember the ball constantly moving with endless screens, hand-offs and passing ??????? Irving's domination of the ball takes the other guys, Brown & Tatum especially, out of the offense too much. They are reduced to standing around  watching Irving dribble.

Yeah, I know Irving has often shot a decent percentage and that his 4th quarter runs have won some games, but that is missing the point. Eventually, his 30+ point games are going to backfire and choke off the winning formula of team offense.

Sure hope Coach Stevens is tough enough to tell Irving what he wants and demand that he execute what is best for the team.

Irving isnt the problem..the problem is there is no one else reliable enough to score consistently...there were about 10 good kick outs and free looks that were created with the motion offense but a lot of misses from JB Tatum and Rozier amd even Semi...Kyrie saved this game from being a 30 point loss.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This is a good team, but they are tired.  Rookie wall striking half the team at the moment.

My view is that, after Hayward went down, they started a marathon NBA season at a full sprint. Credit the guys for figuring out Brad’s defense early, but it’s taxing mentally and physically.

And in this marathon, its like we are at the 10 mile mark realizing that a sub-6 minute pace isn’t going to work the rest of the way. 

Hopefully Brad doesn’t crush them too hard.  Mental rest can be just as fulfilling as physical rest for the young guys.   

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 11:03:08 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The Celtics are fine.  They started out red hot at an unsustainable pace.  They're very young, still  developing both individually and as a team, and have the championship-level defense needed for a deep playoff run.  We started the season with an ECF appearance as our likely ceiling and are right on path to meet that goal.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 11:14:14 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Irving isnt the problem..the problem is there is no one else reliable enough to score consistently...there were about 10 good kick outs and free looks that were created with the motion offense but a lot of misses from JB Tatum and Rozier amd even Semi...Kyrie saved this game from being a 30 point loss.

I hope you are right - but I am not seeing the ball on the move with hand-offs, passes and multiple screening like last year.

The team is playing tired and need to find a more reasonable pace for the long season. That takes experience. Part of that is sharing the load and I don't see it right now. Irving's assist totals continue to decline.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 11:35:15 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I hope you are right - but I am not seeing the ball on the move with hand-offs, passes and multiple screening like last year.

The team is playing tired and need to find a more reasonable pace for the long season. That takes experience. Part of that is sharing the load and I don't see it right now. Irving's assist totals continue to decline.

Irving is likely the reason our pace is much slower, as well.  That's probably exacerbated by a lack of chemistry with the turnover.  H's a better passer than I thought, but increasingly less willing.  Stats don't tell the whole story too -- hockey assists are also considerably important in Bradley's system.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 12:27:29 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Don’t blame him it’s because guys aren’t making anything. It looks like Tatum is hitting the rookie wall and Horford has looked old lately. Smart, Semi, Rozier are building a brick mansion outside of Jaylen nobody reliable to score for us.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 12:38:22 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So a couple of losses and they're broken? Sigh.