Poll

When all is said and done, who is gonna be considered the better player?

Brown
19 (54.3%)
Mitchell
11 (31.4%)
Undecided, way too early to tell.
5 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Brown vs. Mitchell  (Read 2430 times)

Brown vs. Mitchell
« on: December 15, 2017, 10:09:12 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I think it's fair to say that Mitchell is the real deal. Both Brown and Mitchell play the SG position this season. When all is said and done, who is gonna be considered the better player?

Re: Brown vs. Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:17:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Mitchell has been an absolute stud.  I've thought about this recently, here's my take:

Mitchell is the more versatile player at this early stage.   In Utah, he has a much larger role than Brown has in Boston, and he's made the most of it.  I think he's the more talented of the two, has the physical profile to be a great two-way guy, and is just natural born leader.  Talent-wise, his ball-handling and playmaking ability allows him to control the game in a way that Jaylen can't.

If roles were reversed, I think Brown would also be successful but probably less so in a lead role.  He's also very talented and still developing, but probably couldn't carry an offense like Mitchell is right now.  That said, I'm sure he'd have success anywhere because he's an elite athlete, competitor, smart player, and has made the most of his situation thus far.  Perhaps most important, think Brown is the better fit for Boston in his ability to adapt to a more supportive role for now, while also putting up points when needed.  He's also the perfect fit for Boston's defensive system built around length and versatility.

Difficult to predict who will be the better player.  I can imagine Mitchell will put up better numbers, but Jaylen is also asked to play a much different role and will probably win a lot more in Boston.  Anywho, really happy with Jaylen and pleasantly surprised by his trajectory thus far.  And enjoy watching Mitchell play.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:37:37 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:26:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
mitchell is older so it isnt fair.

jk

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Brown is a better defender and has 2 a-dogs in front of him... he is better...

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 04:10:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I went with Brown because he is 'ours' and has always been considered to have more potential. Mitchell is tearing it up and I am happy for him and Utah fans (although in reading Jazz forums, they REALLY hate Hayward and us...like uncomfortably so).

As tarheels mentioned, they are being asked to play different roles. I think given a more prominent role, Brown could easily be averaging more points and be considered (by people outside of Boston) a rising superstar. Just a few weeks ago we were talking about him as a possible All-Star THIS season - that is a crazy jump from where he was last year.

It really all comes down to winning in this league; Mitchell is obviously going to continue to play well and put up big numbers, but he won't be considered a star unless he can elevate his team to the next level. Brown will be given more time to develop and ease his way into stardom; however, with Irving, Hayward, Horford, and possibly Tatum ahead of him as scorers, his scoring line may never be as impressive.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown

but Mitchell is good....   better than about 4-5 players picked ahead of him

Good for the Jazz.... makeup for the loss of Hayward

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Ha! At first I thought this thread was about a Supreme Court case. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Mitchell is the better player right now.  I am a diehard Celtic Fan but I have to go with Mitchell as of now he is the one proving it.   That being said I hope Brown catches him.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I love Brown, he's had a great season so far, made significant progress from last year and his shot looks better. Still, unless his ball handling improves, Mitchell is the better player. Mitchell is a 2-way stud who can create offense and lead a team. Steal of the draft easily, possibly steal of the last two drafts.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 07:09:51 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Not surprised by the poll results so far but it's Mitchell.  Put simply, he is more skilled than Brown a a similar athlete (and they're virtually the same age).

Brown is not trending to be a lead dog because he has too many holes in his game.