Author Topic: Lebron tied Larry Bird at #6 on all time triple doubles list  (Read 3820 times)

Re: Lebron tied Larry Bird at #6 on all time triple doubles list
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 10:41:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
i think lebron ranked bird like #2 when someone asked him his top 5. so im sure even lebrons impressed by this accomplishment

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 11:34:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Congrats to LeBron. One of the greatest of all time.
Without a doubt.

I don't know how everyone else measures greatness but if I could pick Bird or Lebron for one game, one playoff series, or one season, and know I'd get him at his best, I'm picking Bird. Because of longevity I understand those who will say that Lebron is the greater player but I still think Bird is the "better" player.

I get that.

As Celtics fans we've SEEN Bird play and the incredible things he's done in Green.

I have no doubt that LeBron James - in Bird's place - could've done just about the same things.

I don't think he was NEARLY as good a passer as Larry but I believe BOS's ring count would've been the same....maybe more.

LeBron James was BUILT for just about ANY era of the NBA. He would've adjusted to (and probably RELISHED) the tough and rugged play of the 80's.

That 87' series vs the Lakers? We would NOT have had a Larry Bird that was starting to show signs of wear and tear.

LeBron James would've SHREDDED Michael Cooper - SHREDDED him. Too big. Too fast.

LeBron James would've been how old in 87? 28?? Lakers would've been done.

LOL won more rings with Lebron? Lebron doesn't have the mental toughness Larry had. Replace Larry with Lebron in 84 and the  Celtics weren't beating the Lakers that year. Bird came in the league at 24 and missed pretty much a whole season not to mention the last 2 years of missing multiple games with back issues. Lebron has had a pretty healthy long career and entered the league at18. He is going to break records and put up great stats because of that longevity. People will assume he was better than Bird because of that. How many games did it take Lebron to match Larry's triple doubles? How many games did Larry do it in? The only thing Lebron has over Bird IMO is defense and longevity. I would put Bird's years from 84-87 over any 4 year span of Lebron.

Mental Toughness? Or lack thereof?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VzBeOrdAg

See game 6 ECF vs none other than the Boston Celtics.

MIA was down 3-2 to us and had to go back to BOS. LeBron James put MIA on his back and then proceeded to run roughshod over us to the tune of 45 points.

He was like a Bull in a China shop, and his China Shop was located in Boston.

Look, I love Larry (and Boston) as much as ANYONE here but we've GOT to stop sipping the kool-aid for a min.......

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 12:34:45 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Bird was better. Gotta remember he had better teams to compete against. There were two dynasties existing at the same time throughout Larry's entire career. If not for Magic, Kareem and the Lakers, Larry might have 7-8 rings.
Duncan and the Spurs won 3 titles during Lebron's career including 2 Finals wins over James' teams.  The Warriors have put together the 3 best consecutive regular seasons in history.  The Lakers and Celtics both had great 3 season runs. Let's not pretend only the 80's had great teams
Let's also not pretend that the talent isn't a lot more watered down now after expansion and the advent of tanking in the lottery era. Let's also not pretend that the rules of contact are the same and that superstar calls existed back in the day.

Back in the 80's you needed 3 HOFers on your team and another 2 or 3 All-Star level players to win a championship. That hadn't been the case in Lebron's era. Its basically 2-3 HOFers on a team and maybe one other All-Star level player gets you a title. The 2008 Celtics set up that model.

Yes, there are great teams now, but in Lebron's absolute prime in Miami, he had no equal. He simply choked against Dallas and was overwhelmed by the exceptional passing offense of San Antonio.

The worst era was the 90's as far as a diluted league due to expansion. Jordan was the beneficiary.  Relative to other greats, MJ should have an asterisk next to his. There just weren't many teams with more than one or two really good players.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 12:46:15 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Without a doubt.

I don't know how everyone else measures greatness but if I could pick Bird or Lebron for one game, one playoff series, or one season, and know I'd get him at his best, I'm picking Bird. Because of longevity I understand those who will say that Lebron is the greater player but I still think Bird is the "better" player.

I get that.

As Celtics fans we've SEEN Bird play and the incredible things he's done in Green.

I have no doubt that LeBron James - in Bird's place - could've done just about the same things.

I don't think he was NEARLY as good a passer as Larry but I believe BOS's ring count would've been the same....maybe more.

LeBron James was BUILT for just about ANY era of the NBA. He would've adjusted to (and probably RELISHED) the tough and rugged play of the 80's.

That 87' series vs the Lakers? We would NOT have had a Larry Bird that was starting to show signs of wear and tear.

LeBron James would've SHREDDED Michael Cooper - SHREDDED him. Too big. Too fast.

LOL won more rings with Lebron? Lebron doesn't have the mental toughness Larry had. Replace Larry with Lebron in 84 and the  Celtics weren't beating the Lakers that year. Bird came in the league at 24 and missed pretty much a whole season not to mention the last 2 years of missing multiple games with back issues. Lebron has had a pretty healthy long career and entered the league at18. He is going to break records and put up great stats because of that longevity. People will assume he was better than Bird because of that. How many games did it take Lebron to match Larry's triple doubles? How many games did Larry do it in? The only thing Lebron has over Bird IMO is defense and longevity. I would put Bird's years from 84-87 over any 4 year span of Lebron.

MIA was down 3-2 to us and had to go back to BOS. LeBron James put MIA on his back and then proceeded to run roughshod over us to the tune of 45 points.

Look, I love Larry (and Boston) as much as ANYONE here but we've GOT to stop sipping the kool-aid for a min.......

Tbh, Celtics looked toasted at that point. None of the Big 3 could hit shots. Rondo was single-handedly carrying that game because nobody could really score.

Bird Celtics had to deal with a Lakers, Sixers, Pistons all in their prime. Lebron could barely beat an aging Celtics and Spurs and was nowhere to be found during Kobe and Tim's prime. He had a chance to face the Lakers in 2009 but blew it against Dwight led Magic.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 01:08:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Bird was better. Gotta remember he had better teams to compete against. There were two dynasties existing at the same time throughout Larry's entire career. If not for Magic, Kareem and the Lakers, Larry might have 7-8 rings.
Duncan and the Spurs won 3 titles during Lebron's career including 2 Finals wins over James' teams.  The Warriors have put together the 3 best consecutive regular seasons in history.  The Lakers and Celtics both had great 3 season runs. Let's not pretend only the 80's had great teams
Let's also not pretend that the talent isn't a lot more watered down now after expansion and the advent of tanking in the lottery era. Let's also not pretend that the rules of contact are the same and that superstar calls existed back in the day.

Back in the 80's you needed 3 HOFers on your team and another 2 or 3 All-Star level players to win a championship. That hadn't been the case in Lebron's era. Its basically 2-3 HOFers on a team and maybe one other All-Star level player gets you a title. The 2008 Celtics set up that model.

Yes, there are great teams now, but in Lebron's absolute prime in Miami, he had no equal. He simply choked against Dallas and was overwhelmed by the exceptional passing offense of San Antonio.
Yeah, that's basically all there is to it. Larry comfortably over LeBron
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 02:38:38 AM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Without a doubt.

I get that.

Tbh, Celtics looked toasted at that point. None of the Big 3 could hit shots. Rondo was single-handedly carrying that game because nobody could really score.

And Bosh played full starter minutes in the 6th and 7th games. Ray Allen is playing on one ankle and clanging free throws. Pierce is playing on a sprained MCL. They're never up 3-2 if Bosh didn't miss games in the series.
Bird Celtics had to deal with a Lakers, Sixers, Pistons all in their prime. Lebron could barely beat an aging Celtics and Spurs and was nowhere to be found during Kobe and Tim's prime. He had a chance to face the Lakers in 2009 but blew it against Dwight led Magic.

Indeed.

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 02:42:48 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Let's also not pretend that the talent isn't a lot more watered down now after expansion and the advent of tanking in the lottery era.

Didn't the term tanking originate from Houston deliberately trying to blow games to land Olajuwon in 84?

Also, I think the massive expansion of the non-American talent pool and the increasing longevity of players has more than offset expansion at this point.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 03:11:50 AM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Without a doubt.

The biggest difference in the 87' series was that 1st team All NBA defender Kevin McHcale was playing on a broken foot. Magic Johnson doesn't get around him to make his junior sky hook if he is healthy (not that the Lakers would have been close enough in that game for it to matter).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:23:14 AM by alley oop »

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 05:14:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yawn.  I bet our closet LeBron fans are very happy. 

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 05:32:42 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Without a doubt.

The biggest difference in the 87' series was that 1st team All NBA defender Kevin McHcale was playing on a broken foot. Magic Johnson doesn't get around him to make his junior sky hook if he is healthy (not that the Lakers would have been close enough in that game for it to matter).
Looked like very good defense to me, but a better shot.  Magic never got around him.

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 05:25:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

the 83 Sixers weren't stacked like that and just out of curiosity which recent title winning team didn't have multiple HOFers on it?

This board significantly overrates the quality of 80's basketball.  Sure the Lakers and Celtics were great teams and the Sixers and rockets in the early 80's were good as were the Pistons in the late 80's but the rest of the teams just weren't very good.  I mean the Bucks were the second beat team in the East a lot without a HOFer to be found.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Without a doubt.

McHale played on his broken foot in 87? Basketball reference has him playing in 77 games that year.

TOUGH JUICE, McHale was.

But Magic was PRIME Magic..27 years old in 87..McHale was 29 and seemingly on the decline...I still give this matchup to Magic.

That accursed HOOK SHOT was embedded in my 16 YO (at the time) brain..another gut punch right after Bias passed....

That is why a part of me wants the Lakers to forever toil in Lotteryville.

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Without a doubt.

McHale played on his broken foot in 87? Basketball reference has him playing in 77 games that year.

TOUGH JUICE, McHale was.

But Magic was PRIME Magic..27 years old in 87..McHale was 29 and seemingly on the decline...I still give this matchup to Magic.

That accursed HOOK SHOT was embedded in my 16 YO (at the time) brain..another gut punch right after Bias passed....

Yes, McHale broke his foot during the Finals and played anyway. That's why he walks with a limp to this day. Surprised you forgot that.

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 05:57:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Without a doubt.

TOUGH JUICE, McHale was.

Yes, McHale broke his foot during the Finals and played anyway. That's why he walks with a limp to this day. Surprised you forgot that.

Yes.

It's only been 30 years.

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 06:27:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Without a doubt.

TOUGH JUICE, McHale was.

Also, McHale was still in his prime in 87, even had his best year that year with 26 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 bpg and leading the league in FG% at 60.4%.

McHale's decline can be directly traced to playing on that broken foot and it not healing properly. He went downhill from that 87 season on.