Author Topic: A different way to look at Smart vs Rozier ...Are they doing their jobs?  (Read 696 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
And what are their jobs?

Not that it's a competition or that we have to divide into camps per se, but it's somewhat natural given the position they play and the time they were drafted etc.

To me Smart's job is 6th man extraordinaire, major threat on both sides of the ball, top notch combo guard, and decent distributer.  I don't really think he's doing that.

Rozier's job to me is good rotational player, good combo guard, capable of filling in as a starter for a handful of games if needed.

To me Rozier is doing Rozier's job.....however.....Smart is also doing Rozier's job at a similar clip as Rozier and he seems to have a little more potential.

So it's a tough decision if you could only keep one.

One is sorta an underachiever with great potential and the other is an achiever with a little less potential, but hasn't been around as long.

And this is why it comes down to money for me.

I just don't think you can overpay for an underachiever.

Re: A different way to look at Smart vs Rozier ...Are they doing their jobs?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 03:44:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yes; both players are tasked with doing some playmaking, hitting "pressure valve" shots (i.e. taking and occasionally making shots when the offense can't generate something better), making hustle plays for rebounds / steals etc, and defending multiple positions with tenacity.

I think that's the best way to look at them.  Their numbers are often not pretty, but they fill a key role on the team right now and are often part of the team's most successful lineups, even in crunch time.

I would also point out that both Rozier and Smart have shown the ability to get hot and perform quite well offensively for a game or three at a time.  They've also shown a knack taking and making big shots in crunch time.  This sets them apart from your run of the mill bad offensive players (e.g. Andre Roberson).

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: A different way to look at Smart vs Rozier ...Are they doing their jobs?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Andre Roberson is a really good comparison.

I was hoping they'd be a lot more like healthy Patrick Beverly by now. I think they're closer to PBev than Andre. Generally