Author Topic: "The Last Jedi" (Not Spoiler-Free)  (Read 17161 times)

"The Last Jedi" (Not Spoiler-Free)
« on: December 15, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Figured I'd start a thread about it.   Taking a half day today and seeing a 1:30 showing.  Can't wait.  Big expectations for this film based both on having Rian Johnson as a director & the early reviews.  Was not a big "Force Awakens" fan so really hoping this movie lives up to its hype. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: "The Last Jedi" (Not Spoiler-Free)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:30:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m in the theater now. Scheduled to start in one minute.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Enjoy!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:35:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Enjoy!!!

Thanks! It’s packed for a 10:30 showing, and apparently all 9 shows here sold out last night.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I dont get the hate that some so called die hard fans are throwing out there...they hated TFA because it just basically mimicked ANH. Now that Last Jedi tried to be bold and did some things never before done in the Star Wars universe and people still hate it.

I personally feel ok with the film...but there are still questions left that needs to be addressed hopefully by episode 9.

Like do we really haveto believe Rey is really a nobody...yet she uses the Force like no other force user can...heck she could even be better than Vader.

And I really have no idea how they are gonna kill off Leia in the next film..and will Luke still be in it?...force ghost perhaps.

Wouldn't it be fitting to see all the force ghost of every single Jedi that have graced the franchise in the next film...would be cool to see Quigon with Obiwan and Luke in it as well.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 01:21:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Things I didn’t like:

Adam Driver was simply miscast.  He’s not convincing to me, and his battles seem stiff. He was better here than in TFA, but not by much. Too much angst, not enough badass.

Rey’s grasp of the force seems to dwarf every other user’s, including Vader, Luke, Yoda, etc.  She’s basically a super hero who has a full grasp on her powers as soon as she realizes she has them.

Too many characters seem to have one-movie arcs.

Things I liked:

Just about everything else. Even the cutesy kids stuff was fun.

Overall, this was my favorite movie outside of the original trilogy.  A lot will depend on how they wrap things up in Episode 9, but as a stand-alone moviethis was really entertaining and doesn’t diminish the franchise in any sense.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:16:55 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
ok I am a major star wars nerd, and ended up at a 12:45am imax 3d showing last night. 

I had high expectations of the film based on all the spoiler free reviews that I saw prior to seeing it.  I don't think it quite lived up to everyone's hype, for me at least.  It was stunning and mysterious at times, but it was also a bit disjointed.  The interactions between Rey / Kylo / Luke were the highlight of the film to me.  the whole sub plot of finn and rose seemed a bit of a waste.

there was such build up and subterfuge around the Rey parents reveal which to me was a complete let down.  the film did succeed in being unpredictable but major plot points in the force awakens were basically thrown to the side or not even addressed.  I know there is still ep9 to tie this back together....

I still enjoyed it a lot, but how they handled the fates of Snoke & Luke, and the cohesiveness with the force awakens has me a bit disappointed.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Also, Luke Skywalker and Frank Gallagher (William H. Macy from Shameless), separated at birth?

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm a big Star Wars fan. Saw it last night and was really disappointed. Didn't like the story all that much and found it full of WAY too many dumb jokes. Can't really talk about it too much without giving things away but I won't be seeing it again or buying it.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 06:25:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
A lot to chew & digest here.  My initial thoughts.

- Better than The Force Awakens

- Not thrilled with how much of a curmudgeon they made Luke. C’mon, that’s Luke Skywalker we’re talking about!  It was tough to see him so beaten down.

- Disappointed with how they handled Snoke.  Thought they could’ve done much better with his character.

- The Leia in space thing was pretty wacky but, overall, was fine with how they handled her character. Glad you got to see some her of power (Force & non-Force).

- The Canto Bight stuff seemed rushed which is a shame because it seemed like an awesome world to
explore.

- I did like the end with Luke but would’ve liked to see more badassery out of him. See where his training post Return of the Jedi got him.

- Glad they didn’t rehash Empire. It had some elements but much different middle film.

- No idea about Episode IX and where it goes.

- Loved all the new aliens and stuff they created.  Good job with the special effects there.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I definitely originally thought it would just be a redo of Empire. It definitely wasn't.

Loved what they did with it. Liked the implication that there would always be evil and always be good to oppose it no matter what.

Mildly disappointed with the Snoke character scenario.

Liked what they did with the Force.

Liked the vision Disney seemed to show and the answers they seemed to give. Kinda like "We don't need a perfect reason for everything and we don't have to always answer every one of your questions. Learn to let go of these attachments of what you think or thought Star Wars was and should be."

I rank the movie in probably the top 4 or 5 of the 9.

For my own personal entertainment value...idk

Clone Wars
ROTS
ESB
ROTJ
Rogue One
Last Jedi
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:40:28 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Enjoy!!!

Thanks! It’s packed for a 10:30 showing, and apparently all 9 shows here sold out last night.

when you got a movie at 1, but bleeding green is life :)

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
It would have been a decent movie but some scenes were just blatantly awful:

- Leia recovers from being launched into space, spends like 30 sec there ( -276 degrees) and wakes up and "uses the force" to get back. Any other movie, i'm walking out
- someone already mentioned, Snoke dies instantly
-they just can't kill the black fella. The excecution takes forever, than the explosion, than he tries to sacrafice, the girl saves him(Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.) he lands in front of the whole army and manages to drag her body a mile back without anyone shooting at him.

just overally speaking the whole series so far  have been a huge disappointment. it turns out that after episode VI when they defeat the Empire, 20 years after that, they are even in a bigger trouble, out of nowhere. where was that snoke before, he looks ancient.
I expected more but i guess the series is ment for the new generations.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not a fan at all. I'm a pretty big Star Wars lore guy, and this just p****d me off so much in some bits
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 04:22:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Not a fan at all. I'm a pretty big Star Wars lore guy, and this just p****d me off so much in some bits
When you say lore do you mean the EU or something?