Author Topic: Josh Jackson: 38-24-55 shooting splits with a 0.57 AST/TO ratio.  (Read 4754 times)

Re: Josh Jackson: 38-24-55 shooting splits with a 0.57 AST/TO ratio.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 10:08:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We knew he was raw and he's on a terrible team and organization. It definitely makes our decision seem even smarter than it already does but let's not bury the kid yet.

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Remember when he & his agent played games with the Celtics pre draft?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Um, that's 90% of why this thread exists here. 

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 11:46:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Um, that's 90% of why this thread exists here.

I know.  It was rhetorical.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 12:15:35 PM »

Offline ZoneD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Jackson has potential. It's hard to say how a guy's career will go after their rookie year. Some guys have very underwhelming rookie seasons but get progressively better each season after that (e.g. Gordon Hayward) while others have tremendous rookie seasons then fail to get better afterwards (e.g. Tyreke Evans, Michael Carter-Williams, etc.)

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The Suns do a pathetic job of developing young players.  Jackson deserves to be there based on his predraft behavior, but he and his agent should have known that playing time shouldn't have been the highest priority on their priority list. I don't think players drafted by Phoenix are very likely to reach their potential.  They always seem to have a ton of lottery picks that don't develop.  Some, like Chriss, seem to get worse the longer they are on the team.  Like I said, Jackson deserves to be there, but hopefully he can get it together because he has the talent to be an exciting player in the league.
This is the thing that irritated me the most.  For some young guys (and some not so young), the calculation is simple:  Get PT so you can put up big enough numbers to qualify you for a bigger contract.  Jackson seems to think of himself as in the 'elite' category but like is said:  Water reaches its own level.

55% FT shooting is terrible.  I don't care how new you are to the NBA, shooting free throws is a fundamental job requirement to being a professional basketball player.  IMO, it is completely unrelated to 'game slowing down for him'. 

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 01:51:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It was bush league but if we'd actually drafted him he'd probably be in the G-League or riding the bench.

From a development perspective it was probably the best move for him. And if there was any chance whatsoever we might take him over Tatum we should probably be glad for it.

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Stuck between:
Praising the Cs for picking the only non-disappointment in the top 4 of that draft.
Criticizing fans/media for being so tough on rookies just because Tatum is outperforming expectations.

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I drafted him 4th in a fantasy league.  He started off relatively well, but has gotten progressively worse.  Seems like he may even be starting out of necessity right now w/ injuries and a horrible team.  He has a lot of weaknesses and really needs to bulk up just to impact the game with his athleticism and versatility alone.
wait, what?
is it like a 30 team league or something

Guessing there was a supplemental rookie draft.  I got Tatum with the 4th pick in the rookie draft of my keeper league!

Did Jackson go before Tatum or did someone get crazy?

Just seeing this.

It went

Ball
Fultz
Fox
Tatum
Jackson

(same guy had 2 & 3)
Yup

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 12:51:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A team with no infrastructure and no organizational culture, an interim head coach, lots of young guys fighting for spotlight, etc.  Really just a bad situation for player development. 

They need to take some drastic steps to avoid Phoenix becoming another Sacramento.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I wonder how close we were to taking Bender and Jackson. Glad we got who we did

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm always curious when I look at teams like the Suns why they don't say, OK, let's make sure that a solid 5-6 roster spots are filled with veterans who are professional, pass the ball, space the floor, and don't try to hog the spotlight.

I think a lot of the time these rebuilding teams have too many younger guys fighting for a role and not enough structure.  Especially when the coach is kind of in a weak position (e.g. interim coach) and the veterans on the team probably tend to feel that they are being underutilized and could help a better team win games.

Like, if you're the Suns, this is the core of your rebuild right now:

Booker
Jackson
Bender
Warren
Chriss
Ulis

In terms of vets, they have Chandler, Dudley, and Monroe.  They're probably hoping to flip Monroe for additional assets at the deadline.  Chandler and Dudley may be mostly untradeable given their contracts.

That's 9 roster spots.

If I were them, I'd fill the rest of the team with veteran role players on minimum type deals.  Look for Euroleague guys if you have to.  I would want the back end of my roster to be comprised of guys who know how to play professional ball and who also know they aren't going to ever be more than role players, but maybe also are looking to prove they can have a role in the NBA.

I think that's especially important when you spent a top 5 pick on a teenager from Eastern Europe who speaks little English and doesn't have the type of game that's going to demand touches from equally young and raw teammates.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain