Poll

Have you seen the movie Shane?

I am under 30 and have never seen it or heard of it before tonight.
3 (6.4%)
I am under 30 and have seen it
1 (2.1%)
I am under 30 and haven't seen it but have heard of it
3 (6.4%)
I am between 30 and 50 and haven't seen it
12 (25.5%)
I am between 30 and 50 and have seen it
12 (25.5%)
I am over 50 and have of course seen it
13 (27.7%)
I am over 50, but amazingly have not seen it
3 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Have you seen the movie Shane?  (Read 9961 times)

Re: Have you seen the movie Shane?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jack Palance as in the Skin Bracer aftershave commercial of the early 90s Jack Palance?

"Confidence is very sexy, don't you think?"  :laugh:

Never was one for 'old' movies. Shane is way before the vast majority of CBers time - maybe I should see what Jack Palance is actually known for.
His Oscar for City Slickers (as good a performance as it was) was supposedly a partial acknowledgement of his getting robbed of the supporting Oscar for his role in Shane.  he was a better heel in Shane than he was a tough-guy curmudgeon in City Slickers.

He was great, but I am not sure he was robbed. I would take his performance over Frank Sinatra's in From Here to Eternity, but Sinatra was surprisingly good in the film (and how he got the role is captured in Godfather 1 ;)). From Here to Eternity was a good film, a huge hit and, given its proximity to WW2, understandably so.

Westerns have always drawn the short straw in the Academy Awards and the kid in Shane took some votes away from Palance in the best supporting actor category (he didn't bother me, but I like kids though not 14 year old girls). The anti-Western bias is more clearly seen in none of John Ford's westerns winning or High Noon being jobbed out of Best Picture the year before Shane.

There is some inside Hollywood political controversy involved in the heavily favored High Noon's loss to the The Greatest Show on Earth, which is arguably the biggest and most perverse upset in Academy Awards history. Nobody thinks of the 1952 winner as being a good film, never mind a great one. In any case, only 3 Westerns have won Best Pictures and actors in those films like Palance suffered accordingly. Nonetheless, Jack Wilson is a great role and Palance fit it well.
good to know.

Trivia question for the day --> what were those 3 Westerns to win the Oscar for best film? 

I know only one of them -- Unforgiven.

"Cowboys & Aliens" and "Wild, Wild West".

Boom!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jack Palance as in the Skin Bracer aftershave commercial of the early 90s Jack Palance?

Never was one for 'old' movies. Shane is way before the vast majority of CBers time - maybe I should see what Jack Palance is actually known for.
His Oscar for City Slickers (as good a performance as it was) was supposedly a partial acknowledgement of his getting robbed of the supporting Oscar for his role in Shane.  he was a better heel in Shane than he was a tough-guy curmudgeon in City Slickers.

He was great, but I am not sure he was robbed. I would take his performance over Frank Sinatra's in From Here to Eternity, but Sinatra was surprisingly good in the film (and how he got the role is captured in Godfather 1 ;)). From Here to Eternity was a good film, a huge hit and, given its proximity to WW2, understandably so.

Westerns have always drawn the short straw in the Academy Awards and the kid in Shane took some votes away from Palance in the best supporting actor category (he didn't bother me, but I like kids though not 14 year old girls). The anti-Western bias is more clearly seen in none of John Ford's westerns winning or High Noon being jobbed out of Best Picture the year before Shane.

There is some inside Hollywood political controversy involved in the heavily favored High Noon's loss to the The Greatest Show on Earth, which is arguably the biggest and most perverse upset in Academy Awards history. Nobody thinks of the 1952 winner as being a good film, never mind a great one. In any case, only 3 Westerns have won Best Pictures and actors in those films like Palance suffered accordingly. Nonetheless, Jack Wilson is a great role and Palance fit it well.
good to know.

Trivia question for the day --> what were those 3 Westerns to win the Oscar for best film? 

Dances With Wolves.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

good to know.

No Country for Old Men

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

good to know.

No Country for Old Men
is that a western though?  I didn't consider it one when I saw it.

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

good to know.

Dances With Wolves.
forgot about that one.  good catch

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
For some crossover recognition, in the movie Logan (the Wolverine one) the Western that the little girl is watching in the hotel is Shane.

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Cimarron in 1931 is the third Best Picture winning western. Recognized as the first Best Picture winner and a weak one in a weak year for movies. Its Oklahoma land rush scene with 5,000 extras is what's best known about the flick and it was a very expensive movie made at the depth of the Depression. It hasn't aged well, has a 50% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes FWIW, and more a melodrama than a western too. The most memorable movies that year (M, The Public Enemy, Little Caesar, City Lights, The Blue Angel, Dracula, and Frankenstein) were not nominated.

The first real western to win was Dances with Wolves in 1990. Kind of a shame really given how popular the genre was.

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
For some crossover recognition, in the movie Logan (the Wolverine one) the Western that the little girl is watching in the hotel is Shane.

Shane's relation to Logan goes deeper than that:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/logan-movie-shane-reference-classic-western-film

Pale Rider, however, is the closest approximation/homage/ripoff of Shane. No villain near as great as Palance's Jack Wilson though. Great villains make a lot of films and the Bond franchise is a good example (excluding Roger Moore films). Just look at Daniel Craig's first and third entries vs his second and fourth ones.

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

good to know.

"Cowboys & Aliens" and "Wild, Wild West".

Boom!

Wild, Wild West doesn’t get enough credit for bringing Steampunk to a big-budget Hollywood film about half a decade before the style really took off.  There’s a lot to deservedly criticize, but stylistically it’s a pretty decent example of American West steampunk, and an early one at that.

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2017, 03:20:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

good to know.

No Country for Old Men
Cowboy hats. Guns. Bad guy. Takes place in the southwest. I think it checks a lot of the boxes.

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2017, 05:35:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

good to know.

No Country for Old Men
Cowboy hats. Guns. Bad guy. Takes place in the southwest. I think it checks a lot of the boxes.
I also think the the march of progress and society overtaking the wilderness is a big part of what makes a Western and No Country definitely deals with those tropes.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2017, 06:18:29 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
#45 on the top 100 movies of all time according to the American Film Institute. #3 western behind The Searchers and High Noon.

Great film noted for it's cinematography which was unusual for the time. Jack Palance made a memorable villain in particular.
haven't seen the Searchers but High Noon was definitely a top classic.  quite possibly my favorite western that doesn't have John Wayne or Clint Eastwood.

I don’t really love The Searchers.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence. Now that’s a great movie.
High Noon is another classic western not in my top 100.  The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence definitely are.   

Once Upon a Time in the West, True Grit (original) and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly are a few at the top of my list. 

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Cimarron in 1931 is the third Best Picture winning western. Recognized as the first Best Picture winner and a weak one in a weak year for movies. Its Oklahoma land rush scene with 5,000 extras is what's best known about the flick and it was a very expensive movie made at the depth of the Depression. It hasn't aged well, has a 50% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes FWIW, and more a melodrama than a western too. The most memorable movies that year (M, The Public Enemy, Little Caesar, City Lights, The Blue Angel, Dracula, and Frankenstein) were not nominated.

I am over 50 and of course have seen Shane.

As for the movies colin mentions above -- you've got to see "M" if you've not seen it.  I haven't seen it in many years, but I can remember Peter Lorre's whistling as clear as day - chilling.  Fantastic film -- I think it was a German film if memory serves.  Not sure it holds up, but I bet it does.

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2017, 08:09:51 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I don't know that I've ever watched the entire movie or if I'm confusing it with several other movies of that genre/era. 

Oddly, the first thing that comes to mind when I hear about "Shane" is multiple references in Roger Waters' "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" album.
Wow pros and cons
My old roommate would smile at that reference.  Sooo long ago

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Ok
Read everything.  So I'm just about 50 to which i say OF COURSE I've seen Shane.  It's good.  I do believe that without any doubt in my mind Unforgiven is the best western ever made.  Side note from here to eternity was a deserving movie, great great book.  Thanks to mike and tommy for making me feel old compared to scal