Poll

Have you seen the movie Shane?

I am under 30 and have never seen it or heard of it before tonight.
3 (6.4%)
I am under 30 and have seen it
1 (2.1%)
I am under 30 and haven't seen it but have heard of it
3 (6.4%)
I am between 30 and 50 and haven't seen it
12 (25.5%)
I am between 30 and 50 and have seen it
12 (25.5%)
I am over 50 and have of course seen it
13 (27.7%)
I am over 50, but amazingly have not seen it
3 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Have you seen the movie Shane?  (Read 10004 times)

Re: Have you seen the movie Shane?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 07:13:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I thought Jack Palance steals the show with his performance as the villain.  The kid is beyond annoying though.

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 07:17:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I thought Jack Palance steals the show with his performance as the villain.  The kid is beyond annoying though.

Good summary . Watched it once ...that was enough.

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 07:56:29 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I don't know that I've ever watched the entire movie or if I'm confusing it with several other movies of that genre/era. 

Oddly, the first thing that comes to mind when I hear about "Shane" is multiple references in Roger Waters' "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" album.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 08:20:24 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Good summary . Watched it once ...that was enough.
same here.

saw it once about 10 years ago.  thought it was overrated but still ok.  Palance was really good and the kid was beyond annoying --> like young Anakin and JarJar Binks in Phantom Menace annoying.

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 08:21:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
#45 on the top 100 movies of all time according to the American Film Institute. #3 western behind The Searchers and High Noon.

Great film noted for it's cinematography which was unusual for the time. Jack Palance made a memorable villain in particular.
haven't seen the Searchers but High Noon was definitely a top classic.  quite possibly my favorite western that doesn't have John Wayne or Clint Eastwood.

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
#45 on the top 100 movies of all time according to the American Film Institute. #3 western behind The Searchers and High Noon.

Great film noted for it's cinematography which was unusual for the time. Jack Palance made a memorable villain in particular.
haven't seen the Searchers but High Noon was definitely a top classic.  quite possibly my favorite western that doesn't have John Wayne or Clint Eastwood.

I don’t really love The Searchers.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence. Now that’s a great movie.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Jack Palance as in the Skin Bracer aftershave commercial of the early 90s Jack Palance?

"Confidence is very sexy, don't you think?"  :laugh:

Never was one for 'old' movies. Shane is way before the vast majority of CBers time - maybe I should see what Jack Palance is actually known for.

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 09:08:16 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

that's another movie I haven't seen but should

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Jack Palance as in the Skin Bracer aftershave commercial of the early 90s Jack Palance?

Never was one for 'old' movies. Shane is way before the vast majority of CBers time - maybe I should see what Jack Palance is actually known for.
His Oscar for City Slickers (as good a performance as it was) was supposedly a partial acknowledgement of his getting robbed of the supporting Oscar for his role in Shane.  he was a better heel in Shane than he was a tough-guy curmudgeon in City Slickers.

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 10:23:40 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

It is and deserves greater consideration than it gets. However, I'd pick The Searchers before it. John Ford has always had a great visual sense of the West which is on display in The Searchers and I also think it's Wayne's best movie and he's very dark in it (though he's very good in your film too as well as Red River).

High Noon is my top western though for a number of reasons. John Wayne hated it for ideological reasons though Gary Cooper was very conservative too, though far less a knee-jerk one.

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Btw 30-50 and never seen it. 

That was a pretty funny exchange last night. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 10:29:56 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I believe Jack Palance holds the record for most years between Academy Award wins

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 11:31:37 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I believe Jack Palance holds the record for most years between Academy Award wins

I don't think so. He only won once and there was 39 years between his first nomination (1952) and his win for City Slickers (1991) but Katherine Hepburn won her first in 1933 and her last in 1981 (48 years). Maybe Palance holds the record for most years between a first nomination and an eventual win?

I guess I'm the only poster under 30 who has seen Shane (or at least the only one who voted). I started laughing pretty hard when Gorman called Larkin Alan Ladd last night. No one knows who Alan Ladd is anymore.

Shane is terrific. Anyone watching it today has to know that movies moved at a slower pace back then and this one certainly takes it time. You also have to be OK with a guy built like Alan Ladd playing someone as tough as Shane. And yeah, the kid is annoying as heck. But Ladd and Palance are great and Emile Meyer has a really great monologue in the middle of the movie that complicates the films morality in an era that was not known for indulging in moral ambiguity.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

His Oscar for City Slickers (as good a performance as it was) was supposedly a partial acknowledgement of his getting robbed of the supporting Oscar for his role in Shane.  he was a better heel in Shane than he was a tough-guy curmudgeon in City Slickers.

He was great, but I am not sure he was robbed. I would take his performance over Frank Sinatra's in From Here to Eternity, but Sinatra was surprisingly good in the film (and how he got the role is captured in Godfather 1 ;)). From Here to Eternity was a good film, a huge hit and, given its proximity to WW2, understandably so.

Westerns have always drawn the short straw in the Academy Awards and the kid in Shane took some votes away from Palance in the best supporting actor category (he didn't bother me, but I like kids though not 14 year old girls). The anti-Western bias is more clearly seen in none of John Ford's westerns winning or High Noon being jobbed out of Best Picture the year before Shane.

There is some inside Hollywood political controversy involved in the heavily favored High Noon's loss to the The Greatest Show on Earth, which is arguably the biggest and most perverse upset in Academy Awards history. Nobody thinks of the 1952 winner as being a good film, never mind a great one. In any case, only 3 Westerns have won Best Pictures and actors in those films like Palance suffered accordingly. Nonetheless, Jack Wilson is a great role and Palance fit it well.

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He was great, but I am not sure he was robbed. I would take his performance over Frank Sinatra's in From Here to Eternity, but Sinatra was surprisingly good in the film (and how he got the role is captured in Godfather 1 ;)). From Here to Eternity was a good film, a huge hit and, given its proximity to WW2, understandably so.

Westerns have always drawn the short straw in the Academy Awards and the kid in Shane took some votes away from Palance in the best supporting actor category (he didn't bother me, but I like kids though not 14 year old girls). The anti-Western bias is more clearly seen in none of John Ford's westerns winning or High Noon being jobbed out of Best Picture the year before Shane.

There is some inside Hollywood political controversy involved in the heavily favored High Noon's loss to the The Greatest Show on Earth, which is arguably the biggest and most perverse upset in Academy Awards history. Nobody thinks of the 1952 winner as being a good film, never mind a great one. In any case, only 3 Westerns have won Best Pictures and actors in those films like Palance suffered accordingly. Nonetheless, Jack Wilson is a great role and Palance fit it well.
good to know.

Trivia question for the day --> what were those 3 Westerns to win the Oscar for best film? 

I know only one of them -- Unforgiven.