Author Topic: Disney(ESPN)/Fox purchase - EDIT - Not so fast says Comcast  (Read 10744 times)

Disney(ESPN)/Fox purchase - EDIT - Not so fast says Comcast
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/13/media/21st-century-fox-disney-possible-deal/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-intl

So it looks like before the end of the year Disney will be buying a large portion of Fox, including the movie and television studios, the FX networks, National Geographic, the regional Fox Sports channels, and Fox's stake in Sky and Hulu (Disney would own 2/3 of Hulu after the sale). 

After the sale, Fox will basically just be the Fox, FS1, FS2, Fox News and Fox Business.  Though many speculate that the Murdoch family would merge the remaining Fox properties with NewsCorp (the Wall Street Journal, NY Post, HarperCollins, etc.), which had split off from 20th Century Fox a few years ago. 

Fox is keeping FS1 and FS2, but by selling its regional sports channels (along with Sky Sports and Star Sports) to Disney, ESPN will only take up an even larger portion of the sports viewing landscape. 

Disney will also add a significant movie portfolio to its already massive collection (all those mutants in Marvel movies could actually be called mutants since Fox owned that name with the X-Men franchise).   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:25:36 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Disney(ESPN)/Fox purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Right in time for the possible end of net neutrality too

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:15:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m excited about the movie aspect. X-men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool rejoining the Marvel universe.

I’m less enthusiastic about ESPN taking on even more prominence.

Unsure about television such as FX, or Disney having a majority share in Hulu if that happens.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:09:43 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/13/media/21st-century-fox-disney-possible-deal/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-intl

So it looks like before the end of the year Disney will be buying a large portion of Fox, including the movie and television studios, the FX networks, National Geographic, the regional Fox Sports channels, and Fox's stake in Sky and Hulu (Disney would own 2/3 of Hulu after the sale). 

After the sale, Fox will basically just be the Fox, FS1, FS2, Fox News and Fox Business.  Though many speculate that the Murdoch family would merge the remaining Fox properties with NewsCorp (the Wall Street Journal, NY Post, HarperCollins, etc.), which had split off from 20th Century Fox a few years ago. 

Fox is keeping FS1 and FS2, but by selling its regional sports channels (along with Sky Sports and Star Sports) to Disney, ESPN will only take up an even larger portion of the sports viewing landscape. 

Disney will also add a significant movie portfolio to its already massive collection (all those mutants in Marvel movies could actually be called mutants since Fox owned that name with the X-Men franchise).

This is the first time I think I have ever seen Star Sports. It looks like maybe that does Cricket?

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

This is the first time I think I have ever seen Star Sports. It looks like maybe that does Cricket?
It is an Indian channel (well actually it is a network of channels), so yeah Cricket is a big part of what they do, but they do play soccer, tennis, the Olympics, formula one, and a few other things. 

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 02:18:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
An X-Men reboot tying the characters into the current Marvel story and timeline would be awesome.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 02:24:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I thought ESPN was struggling, and those major layoffs were an indicator of that.  Was I wrong though? Or is Disney carrying most of the weight?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 02:31:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I thought ESPN was struggling, and those major layoffs were an indicator of that.  Was I wrong though? Or is Disney carrying most of the weight?

It's Disney making the deal.  The ESPN part is only one component of this deal.  It's much larger than just sports.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 02:34:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It's Disney making the deal.  The ESPN part is only one component of this deal.  It's much larger than just sports.
Yeah I think the part of this deal that is most important is the purchase of the movie collection, studio and brand rights, the FX networks and the streaming service. The couple of sports cable channels that are limited in scope, ratings and revenue are a throw in.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
ESPN isn't really struggling, they just aren't making as much money as they used to make (they are still making money though). 

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Right in time for the possible end of net neutrality too
This was my thought.

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I’m excited about the movie aspect. X-men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool rejoining the Marvel universe.

Unsure about television such as FX, or Disney having a majority share in Hulu if that happens.

Depends on what they do with Hulu. Disney wanted Fox for it's entertainment library as much to get the FF and Xmen rights back for their streaming service. They may just revamp Hulu and turn it into their streaming service since the ground work is already layed out. And that means DareDevil,Punisher,Jessica Jones,Etc will be on Hulu instead of Netflix, which really makes NetFlix a bit expendable since out side of that I really only watch Stranger Things.

But phase 4 for MArvel could be really good. Use the reality stone in Avengers Infinity War to bring in Xmen and FF, and then you can start with Secret Invasion and lead into Galactic like they did with Thanos.

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I really hope this doesn't mean The Punisher will be moving from Netflix to Hulu.  I'll be seriously irate if that happens.

I'm almost through watching season 1 and it's friggen awesome.  John Bernthal was such a perfect choice for the role of Frank Castle.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 07:23:21 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

Definitely would love to see all Marvel properties restored to Marvel Studios.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Definitely would love to see all Marvel properties restored to Marvel Studios.

wished this was done a couple years ago so at least the Xmen makes it to Civil War, while i really enjoyed Captain America Civil War, it felt more like a street fight than a "war"