Author Topic: Making a move for George  (Read 7484 times)

Re: Making a move for George
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 03:20:07 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'm not sure why this would interest the Celtics, with Brown and Tatum playing well, Hayward coming back next year, and George hitting free agency this summer. They'd be gambling big time that George would want to stick around when Hayward gets back and then if he does there would be roster problems on the wing. The alternative is George leaves in free agency and then what was the point of the deal in the first place?

Smart's gone at the end of year the rest is all junk filler. I'd be shocked if that's all it took to get even 1/3 of season for George.

Danny wasn't going to pay IT4 what makes any of us think he's going to pay Marcus?
Because Marcus is going to cost about 1/4 of what Thomas will be asking for.

That's not accurate at all. How much do you think Smart's going to be getting? Now compare that to players like Crabbe, Shumpert, Tyler Johnson, Roberson, etc.

12-14 million per year most likely... Anything more than that... Bye Smart...  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Right. So a far cry from the 1/4 price he suggested. Unless he thinks Isaiah will getting north of 45m per year.

Right, so the guy was wrong w/ his fractions. Let's say Marcus gets $16m per year and IT gets $25m. Do you want to be the team making either of these signings? I don't.

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 03:53:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm not sure why this would interest the Celtics, with Brown and Tatum playing well, Hayward coming back next year, and George hitting free agency this summer. They'd be gambling big time that George would want to stick around when Hayward gets back and then if he does there would be roster problems on the wing. The alternative is George leaves in free agency and then what was the point of the deal in the first place?

Smart's gone at the end of year the rest is all junk filler. I'd be shocked if that's all it took to get even 1/3 of season for George.

Danny wasn't going to pay IT4 what makes any of us think he's going to pay Marcus?

That's not accurate at all. How much do you think Smart's going to be getting? Now compare that to players like Crabbe, Shumpert, Tyler Johnson, Roberson, etc.
Those guys signed deals under a cap boom that will have adjusted itself by this summer. Those kinds of deals aren't going to exist this summer with fewer teams having less cap space than the last 2 years.

And Roberson is actually a perfect comparison for Smart. An all-NBA defender who can't shoot, he signed a 3 year $30 million dollar deal in a more hospitable cap space summer than Smart will enjoy. It's totally within reason that Smart could get a similar, $10 million per year deal. And when you figure that an Isaiah max contract would top out (after seasonal raises) at almost $40 mil a year, saying Marcus will cost 1/4 as much isn't very hyperbolic.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
That doesn't help OKC at all. 

If I'm OKC, I take the chance that I can re-sign George rather than accept that deal.  George isn't the problem on that team.  Westbrook, George, and Adams can win games with the right support.  The problem with the Thunder is that Melo is hurting more than helping and nobody else on that team is any good.  But it's much easier to find better roleplayers and depth than it is to find another player like George.

For our part, you're suggesting that we trade all of our junk for their second-best player.  Yabusele, Nader, and Larkin are third-string depth at best.  Smart and Morris are backups, and I feel like Smart and Roberson are redundant.  That's not an attractive package, even if you consider that George would be a rental for us.  They aren't doing that.  Maybe they start listening if you dangle that LA/SAC pick, but I'm not sure we want to give up a pretty good future asset for a half-season rental who we probably can't re-sign.

Bingo!

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 04:02:56 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
George will not be a Celtic. Danny is going for it in 19. Favors would be a better fit IMO.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
George will not be a Celtic. Danny is going for it in 19. Favors would be a better fit IMO.

Favors used to be good, but his knees are shot.

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

yeah I don't get that one.  I'd rather have Okafor than Favors.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 04:20:42 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

Those guys signed deals under a cap boom that will have adjusted itself by this summer. Those kinds of deals aren't going to exist this summer with fewer teams having less cap space than the last 2 years.

And Roberson is actually a perfect comparison for Smart. An all-NBA defender who can't shoot, he signed a 3 year $30 million dollar deal in a more hospitable cap space summer than Smart will enjoy. It's totally within reason that Smart could get a similar, $10 million per year deal. And when you figure that an Isaiah max contract would top out (after seasonal raises) at almost $40 mil a year, saying Marcus will cost 1/4 as much isn't very hyperbolic.

we already offered smart more than that

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
It's pretty clear that things aren't working out in OKC and that George will be bolting during the summer. However, what if the thought is to try to salvage him leaving by gaining some value now?

Something along the lines of Smart, Morris, Yabusele, Larkin (eligible to be moved in a couple of days), and Nader work under the cap.

As for OKC, they're able to get Smart, who having played for Oklahoma State, would likely welcome signing there long-term. They also get a good contract in Morris and a prospect in Yabusele. Not the best of deals for George, but beats the alternative in receiving nothing for him. Besides, how many teams have the ability to beat that offer, have the confidence George re-signs, and are in position to win now? Larkin and Nader are salary filler and would likely be waived.

As for us, why not? Smart is looking to get paid and I'm wondering how much he'll command vs how much we're actually willing to pay. I'm confident that the allure of playing for Stevens and alongside Irving, Horford, and Hayward, he apparently is friends with the latter, would be enough to have him strongly consider re-signing in Boston.

lol at this...
as a former okc resident, i can tell you that the city is mostly OU and absolutely hated Smart's years in the state.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 04:46:05 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I never saw any numbers for what the C's offered Smart. Do you have a link?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
It's pretty clear that things aren't working out in OKC and that George will be bolting during the summer. However, what if the thought is to try to salvage him leaving by gaining some value now?

Something along the lines of Smart, Morris, Yabusele, Larkin (eligible to be moved in a couple of days), and Nader work under the cap.

As for OKC, they're able to get Smart, who having played for Oklahoma State, would likely welcome signing there long-term. They also get a good contract in Morris and a prospect in Yabusele. Not the best of deals for George, but beats the alternative in receiving nothing for him. Besides, how many teams have the ability to beat that offer, have the confidence George re-signs, and are in position to win now? Larkin and Nader are salary filler and would likely be waived.

As for us, why not? Smart is looking to get paid and I'm wondering how much he'll command vs how much we're actually willing to pay. I'm confident that the allure of playing for Stevens and alongside Irving, Horford, and Hayward, he apparently is friends with the latter, would be enough to have him strongly consider re-signing in Boston.

lol at this...
as a former okc resident, i can tell you that the city is mostly OU and absolutely hated Smart's years in the state.

So does that mean Smart wouldn't be open to re-signing there?

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 04:55:55 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

lol at this...

I would say that he wouldnt factor "college home" as a re-signing factor.. If anything, the biggest factor here would be playing alongside or next to Russ.
Why move just to be a bench player or a non-featured starter?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 05:17:05 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

lol at this...

I would say that he wouldnt factor "college home" as a re-signing factor.. If anything, the biggest factor here would be playing alongside or next to Russ.
Why move just to be a bench player or a non-featured starter?

He wouldn't "move", he would be traded and then re-signing to a role similar to the one here. In fact, he'll probably start as he's better than Roberson.

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
George is still a great player, but honestly I feel he's sort of regressed in the past 1.5 seasons.

He doesn't strike me as "superstar" like he was believed to be a few years ago.

Idk, but he leaves the Pacers and they are actually doing fine w/o him, and many Pacers fans complained about him "not being a leader" and how at times he didn't seem to care at all.

I think the biggest problem in OKC is Carmelo Anthony, BUT George has also been really inconsistent and bad at times.

Honestly makes me feel a bit better since it's virtually a given at this point that he's joining LAL next year on a max-deal.   
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

yeah I don't get that one.  I'd rather have Okafor than Favors.
Favors is for a year rental for the the DPE, not long term. Speculation is that Utah wants to trade him. 
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

I never saw any numbers for what the C's offered Smart. Do you have a link?

no I'm sorry it hasn't been reported, but I do know this to be the case