Author Topic: The bench needs to be revamped. Suggestions?  (Read 13628 times)

Re: The bench needs to be revamped. Suggestions?
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2017, 10:21:35 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm sick of watching Tatum NOT get the touches he deserves. Offense should be run through him more than it is. He should be getting at least 15 shots a game...no less. He's leading the league in 3pt % and shooting 50\50\80.

My suggestion move Tatum to the bench and let him get off on the 2nd unit. This bench just has no offense. Start Semi and let Tatum wreck havoc off the bench and then let him finish the games with the starters.

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm sick of watching Tatum NOT get the touches he deserves. Offense should be run through him more than it is. He should be getting at least 15 shots a game...no less. He's leading the league in 3pt % and shooting 50\50\80.

My suggestion move Tatum to the bench and let him get off on the 2nd unit. This bench just has no offense. Start Semi and let Tatum wreck havoc off the bench and then let him finish the games with the starters.
You don't have to start Semi and have Tatum come off the bench. Stevens can simply change his rotations to leave Tatum and someone like Horford in with 3 bench players and run the offense through them rather than have 5 bench players in and run the offense through Smart and Rozier.

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2017, 11:31:09 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Going through this thread, one would think that Nader was playing significant minutes and stinking up the joint. Kind of sad really. Nader is not the problem. He's a developmental player who barely gets any playing time.

To me, the C's bench issues are 2 fold: injury to Morris and poor guard play.

The bench unit seemed to play better when Morris was on that unit and the go to scorer. It seemed to put everything else into place as far as roles on that unit. With the injury, bench has no go to guy so CBS has been juggling lineups to find the right combo.

The guards have also been huge issue. The Smart/Rozier combo is inconsistent and as we all know, offensively challenged. At some point, something has to give with those two. They can survive with one of them but not both.

Ultimately, I think the DPE goes towards a player that can help score/facilitate offense. A true 6th man type and i think someone like Tyreke Evans would be a great fit. Can handle the ball, can score, has good size and I do not think will cost a while lot to get considering his contract status and Memphis' position in the standings.

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Yabu and Nader + 2nd if needed for Dedmon
Sign a Barnes type to a vet min
Use DPE during buy out period
  ;D ;D ;D

This idea is just comical.

I would be interested to know why you say that
Do we need another big...yup
Do we need another vet off the bench...yup
So what is so comical?

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2017, 11:42:51 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

I was thinking along the same lines except start Smart, move Brown to SF. Let Larkin and Rozier run the second unit, and then Tatum can get more touches with the second unit.

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2017, 03:06:01 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

You don't have to start Semi and have Tatum come off the bench. Stevens can simply change his rotations to leave Tatum and someone like Horford in with 3 bench players and run the offense through them rather than have 5 bench players in and run the offense through Smart and Rozier.

Good points, that would also work.

« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would like them to try to grab Marco Belinelli from Atlanta if he gets bought out.  I would really like his shooting and ability to score in some other ways coming off the bench.  That solid veteran scoring would really help. 

Open to something better, but that is one that jumps out that I think is pretty possible with the DPE.

Tatum hasn't shown enough off the dribble and remotely enough passing to run any sort of offense consistnetly, even for a bench unit.  He did show more off the dribble last night than he has this season so that was encouraging.  Tatum could make plays right now and every game if he wanted to but he isn't there yet.  This narrative like he isn't getting any chance to handle the ball is silly.  I don't mean to sound down on him remotely (I love him) but he is doing so well and excelling playing efficiently and often taking open shots other players get him.  He has been great for his rookie year.

Now maybe he will progress quickly or as we go along slowly and take that over even this season.  I won't rule it out because he has been so impressive.  However, it hasn't been there yet.  But so far his efficiency is great at basically everything scoring wise so I am very happy.

Also: Morris is tailor made for this role.  I think he is upset about it perhaps but I think it is clearly the best move and I hope he settles into it and gets healthy.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
To me, its pretty obvious that Larkin should be given the backup point guard job. I think Ainge and Stevens still believes in Rozier and doesn't want to bury him, but the minutes need to come from somewhere and Larkin is getting it done fairly consistently. He's also proven he's a plus defender.

Smart and Rozier are both horrendous when they are relied on to break down the defense. Both guys can be quite valuable when they are the 4th or 5th option on the floor. Unfortunately, if Larkin is taking all of the backup primary ball handler minutes, one of them loses their spot in the rotation. That probably means Rozier loses out.

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2017, 04:20:21 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Boris Diaw....I don't care if he is 35 and fat.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2017, 05:44:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I agree. Rotations could be tweaked to improve things.

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The Celtics passed on Cousins when he was available last year.
Not necessarily. Divac said he had a better offer but ownership wanted Buddy deal
link? Its hard for me to be believe that a gm would publically say they were offered a better player then buddy but took buddy instead.

I remember Vlade saying something like this too, I interpreted it to mean that NO had previously offered a better deal then the one he took.  Maybe C84 remembers it better then I do.

What I've seen in the media (it's obv speculation but not unsubstantiated) is that Divac hurried up to close the deal  bcs he was afraid Ranadive would change his mind. The key factor was reportedly that their owner was really into Hield.
Divac was asked about it and he said they had a better deal earlier. Don't need a link it was during post trade interview

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

It has been rare that Brad has had five bench players in the game together.

(It looks like you're including Smart as a bench player in this scenario, despite the fact that he's currently fourth in minutes per game.)

None of Boston's top 20 lineups (by minutes played) has had all "bench" players - and that's true whether or not you call Smart or Morris bench players. The 20th, by the way, has played a total of 17.6 minutes this season.

The discussion in this thread suffers from being unclear about what players we're actually talking about.

Tatum is ready to play at this level; that's really remarkable - but he is not ready to have the offense run through him.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:16:00 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Losing Morris has been underrated as an issue for this team...
Don't know how to fix it or how bad his problem is.

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Stagger Kyrie and Horford. Right now Smart is the safety valve in the second unit, taking all the late-shot clock shots. He probably shoots 10% in those situations, and Rozier isn't much better. I like the look of the second unit with Horford in--the Smart-Horford pick-and-roll/pop is so much better than the Smart-Baynes or Smart-Theiss pick and roll, and late-clock Horford post ups are so much more efficient than late-clock Smart floaters.

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I agree

Yabusele, Semi, Nadel  so far don't look like NBA players. 

Who knows what you will get out of Larkin, Rozier, Smart game in and out

Theis is strickly a garbage man

Would like the Celts to somehow acquire Barton or Tyreke Evans without giving up a 1st