Author Topic: The bench needs to be revamped. Suggestions?  (Read 13629 times)

Re: The bench needs to be revamped. Suggestions?
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2017, 06:51:11 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Dirk is a Dallas legend.  Cuban isn't trading him for a late 1st and a Boston spare part.  He wants to see Dirk play out his career in Dallas.

I'd much rather go after "One Punch-man" Portis from Chicago who is 'listening' to offers.

Same, I've always liked Portis.  Everyone continues to think he'll regress to the mean, but he continues to improve.  He was also just quoted as saying he prefers the 6th man role.

While we're on the topic, what about Jonny One Punch's receiver Mirotic?
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I see things differently. C's aren't winning a title this year. They also aren't likely to be resigning most their FA/RFAs to be. So go hard on a starter upgrade and make due with an even worse bench for the sake of the future.

Smart, Baynes, Morris, Yab and Nader for Cousins.

Resign Cousins and go into next season as the heavy favorites to win the EC.

Irving, Brown, Hayward, Horford, Cousins.
Rozier, Tatum, Semi, Theis.

You also might have two first to select guys to help the bench. And you can sign title chasers.

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The Celtics passed on Cousins when he was available last year.

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2017, 09:00:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
LeBron would be a perfect 6th man....

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2017, 09:12:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
LeBron would be a perfect 6th man....
Swiss Army Knife off the bench!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2017, 09:17:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
NBA Metrics have us as having the 6th best bench in the league... guess we can stop knee-jerking to a single loss

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748208-nba-metrics-101-ranking-top-10-benches-in-the-nba

This article is based only on defense and is clearly just an opinion.   Our offense is not so hot off the bench.

Our bench is ranked 17th overall. 

We are much lower in a lot of the offensive areas with our bench stats.

3oth in FG percentage
29th in 3P percentage
23rd in points

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/18/7/fga/1-1

You can also see opponents stats vs. our bench

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/opponentstats/18/7/diffeff/1-1

Pretty clear we have some offensive woes that your little article neglects.   The great thing about the internet is you can look up a stat to defend an argument but somewhere out there is some more information that someone can look up and present against.   I recommend your home work a little more.

I am not here to defend Nader, but he is a rookie.

Wasn't he a rookie last year.     

2016, Boston Celtics
Round: 2 / Pick: 58

The guy is dead weight and can't defend at all.   I think he has guts and can make a shot here and there.   But he has a roster slot that would be better served with a veteran presence.   NBA defense is not a skillset he possesses.   That being said, he is not the main reason our bench struggles.  It is we lack skilled offensive bench players but we are full of hustler types that are scrappy and good on defense.

I agree.  I dislike Nader more then i've disliked any Celtics player in a long time.  I actually dislike him more than Fab Melo - at least he could block shots and was big.

For somebody who isn't very skilled, Nader is a major ball hog who plays the game with a the greatest degree of selfishness I've seen from a Celtics player in a very long time.  He practically refuses to pass to ball or play defense. 

I would absolutely love to see him gone.  The only thing I'd love more then to see him gone, is to seem him go and somehow find his way on the Cavs.

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Not necessarily. Divac said he had a better offer but ownership wanted Buddy deal

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2017, 09:34:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
NBA Metrics have us as having the 6th best bench in the league... guess we can stop knee-jerking to a single loss

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748208-nba-metrics-101-ranking-top-10-benches-in-the-nba

This article is based only on defense and is clearly just an opinion.   Our offense is not so hot off the bench.

Our bench is ranked 17th overall. 

We are much lower in a lot of the offensive areas with our bench stats.

3oth in FG percentage
29th in 3P percentage
23rd in points

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/18/7/fga/1-1

You can also see opponents stats vs. our bench

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/opponentstats/18/7/diffeff/1-1

Pretty clear we have some offensive woes that your little article neglects.   The great thing about the internet is you can look up a stat to defend an argument but somewhere out there is some more information that someone can look up and present against.   I recommend your home work a little more.

I am not here to defend Nader, but he is a rookie.

Wasn't he a rookie last year.     

2016, Boston Celtics
Round: 2 / Pick: 58

The guy is dead weight and can't defend at all.   I think he has guts and can make a shot here and there.   But he has a roster slot that would be better served with a veteran presence.   NBA defense is not a skillset he possesses.   That being said, he is not the main reason our bench struggles.  It is we lack skilled offensive bench players but we are full of hustler types that are scrappy and good on defense.

I agree.  I dislike Nader more then i've disliked any Celtics player in a long time.  I actually dislike him more than Fab Melo - at least he could block shots and was big.

For somebody who isn't very skilled, Nader is a major ball hog who plays the game with a the greatest degree of selfishness I've seen from a Celtics player in a very long time.  He practically refuses to pass to ball or play defense. 

I would absolutely love to see him gone.  The only thing I'd love more then to see him gone, is to seem him go and somehow find his way on the Cavs.
TP ;D Glad to see someone who dislike's Nader as much as me.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2017, 11:07:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Not necessarily. Divac said he had a better offer but ownership wanted Buddy deal
link? Its hard for me to be believe that a gm would publically say they were offered a better player then buddy but took buddy instead.

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2017, 06:50:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  The point is that by Net rating (Offensive-Defensive) we're sixth overall.  That's mainly because we're first defensively, and average (17th as you point out) offensively.  So really we have an above average bench.

Our bench is very poor in shooting.   Net Rating is kind of a composite score, looking at the individual stats one can see that we have trouble with making shots on the bench.  We are 30th in TS% for our bench.   One can see the need by knowing that stats, whereas your total composite score obfuscates the isssue and sugarcoats it.

Did you not see Tatum playing a lot more with them last night to help out with the scoring.

Nader was not on the 15 man roster last year, he signed a D-league deal and played for like $40K.  He is a rookie, just like Ben Simmons is.

Which means he is not a rookie.   They both sat had an extra year outside college.   I know the league kind of does this for injured guys but D/G leaguers?

It does not change the fact, that he can't play D.  He does not even give an effort.

I am with you Crimson, TP.

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
A guard who can light it up.
Lou Williams would be my fave. Bellineli would be a good option too, more of a shooter than scorer though.

I miss Evan Turner

I agree with all this also I believe we can get Lou with our money we get from the injury to Hayward along with a pick.

But I'd take Turner back too, we need play making and shot making.

Third get rid of Smart this kid flat out sucks!!!

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2017, 08:59:20 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
link? Its hard for me to be believe that a gm would publically say they were offered a better player then buddy but took buddy instead.

I remember Vlade saying something like this too, I interpreted it to mean that NO had previously offered a better deal then the one he took.  Maybe C84 remembers it better then I do.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Yabu and Nader + 2nd if needed for Dedmon
Sign a Barnes type to a vet min
Use DPE during buy out period

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2017, 09:42:02 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

I remember Vlade saying something like this too, I interpreted it to mean that NO had previously offered a better deal then the one he took.  Maybe C84 remembers it better then I do.

What I've seen in the media (it's obv speculation but not unsubstantiated) is that Divac hurried up to close the deal  bcs he was afraid Ranadive would change his mind. The key factor was reportedly that their owner was really into Hield.

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yabu and Nader + 2nd if needed for Dedmon
Sign a Barnes type to a vet min
Use DPE during buy out period
  ;D ;D ;D

This idea is just comical.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."