Author Topic: The bench needs to be revamped. Suggestions?  (Read 13668 times)

Re: The bench needs to be revamped. Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 07:58:31 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
LOL @ "cut Nader" being the bench solution.  He never plays.

That's shortsighted, though. Cutting Nader has it's advantages, in that it creates another roster spot. This would then give us 2 available roster spots and the use of the DPE. Nader is simply unplayable and having him on the roster does nothing for our team.

The two guys that I'd like us to sign would be Gerald Green and Derrick Williams. I don't think Green is that good, but he can at least soak some minutes and he does have familiarity with our team. Williams is very intriguing. He's pretty athletic, was the #2 overall pick in the draft, and is still only 26. I'm be curious to see how Williams can develop in Stevens' hands as an athletic 4 who shot 40% from 3's for the Cavs last season.

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 08:21:35 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
The typical overreaction to a bad loss on CB is "change everything". Fire Brad! Fire Danny! Trade players! Cut players! This thread is predictable.

You know what our bench should have looked like yesterday? Marcus Morris, Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum, Terry Rozier and Daniel Theis should have been the first guys coming off of it. That seems like a pretty good bench to me and part of a 10 deep roster that rocks. Except we were missing our best two All-Stars and our first guy off the bench for last nights game. Do we think that most other teams would look very good missing their two best players and their 6th man on the same night?

It was a bad night all the way around. The starters shot 6-21 (28%) from 3 point land and 22-52 (42%) from the field. It's not all on the bench here.

Look, we all know the bench is very, very, very inexperienced. When we have a couple of pros to stabilize them (Morris, Smart, Baynes, Horford, etc.) then they can slide into their roles and generally play effectively. They'll learn. But when - like last night - there's no one on the floor with a lot of experience it's going to get ugly in a hurry. And it did. They tried to do too much. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on rather than overreacting.

It would be nice if Danny uses that cap exception to bring in a bench guy to help stabilize things but he's waiting on the right guy at the right price. And you know what? He can wait. The team is 23-6 and there's no need to rush. 
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 08:27:51 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If the bench needs to be revamped put it out to bid and hire a good reputable carpenter with the right tools, who pays prevailing wages.   The bench will be fine.

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
rushing to improve the bench this season is only a necessity if we have a legit shot at the title.  Without a  healthy Hayward, I don't see it.  ECF and possibly the finals but beating GSW without Hayward in a 7-game series is just improbable.

Solution: wait til next year for natural improvements
- starters are Kyrie, Hayward, Horford and probably Brown.  5th starter is likely to be Tatum.
- Barring trades, bench becomes Smart (likely resigned to reasonable deal since his offense is still hit or miss), Rozier, Morris (hopefully finally healthy), Theis, Semi.   That's not too bad provided there's a mix of 2 starters out there at a time. 
Deep bench: C's 1st rounder, Yabu, maybe Lakers' first rounder.

Baynes has likely played himself into a deal larger than the MLE which would be all we could offer. 
Bird and Allen may have the 2-way deals again.
Larkin and Nader are very likely gone.
C's have the MLE (if not Baynes) to pick up a decent bench guy or 2.

I'm more than ready to move on from Rozier because he's way too inconsistent and he doesn't have that knack to make big plays in close games that Smart does.  The question becomes, who could we trade him for that would consistently contribute?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:03:20 AM by slamtheking »

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Lol at this entire thread. Despite their record, this is the NBA and all teams are filled with quality players... the Bulls are no different. Not sure why you're shocked we lost when we were decimated by injuries.

Secondly our bench is amazing... keep in mind our current ideal starting line up is Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Morris and Horford.

Our actual bench is Smart, Rozier, Tatum, Baynes, Semi, Theis... mix in rotations with starters and we're more than fine. I wouldn't knee jerk and do anything except for a quick rental using DPE like Noel... but wouldn't get rid of anyone

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I agree with the theme of posts that acknowledge we had Kyrie and Morris out last night so yes, the bench was thin (as was the starting line up).  Due largely to the fact that we lost Hayward for the whole season, we are missing some scoring punch and it is manifesting itself when the bench is on the floor (if Hayward was playing, we might see Tatum out there with the bench providing scoring for example).  Obviously you expect that Kyrie will be back and I think if Morris can get himself right we will be fine.  A veteran scorer of some form would definitely help the bench or if you get a starting level SF/SG, then maybe Tatum or Brown get some minutes with the bench.

We have been overachieving.  We are regressing to the norm some here.  We are still a good team, we are just not best record in the league good.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:52:59 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 09:43:25 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm more than ready to move on from Rozier because he's way too inconsistent and he doesn't have that knack to make big plays in close games that Smart does.  The question becomes, who could we trade him for that would consistently contribute?
Not sure whether all of those guys would contribute consistently from day 1, but here are some trade ideas :

- Rozier + Yabu for Jonathon Simmons

- Rozier + Yabu + Nader for JaMychal Green (in case the Grizzlies decide to blow it up - cannot be traded until January 14)

- Rozier + minor asset(if needed) for Willy Hernangomez

- Rozier + Yabu for Portis + Justin Holiday

- Rozier + Yabu for Jeremy Lamb

- Rozier + Yabu + Nader for Bogdan Bogdanovic

- Roy's idea : Rozier for Barea

Personally speaking, I'm ready to move on from Morris as well. Having said that, both Rozier and Morris are on a bargain contract till 2019, so I wouldn't mind if they stayed either.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:49:00 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Not sure whether all of those guys would contribute consistently from day 1, but here are some trade ideas :

- Rozier + Yabu for Jonathon Simmons

- Rozier + Yabu + Nader for JaMychal Green (in case the Grizzlies decide to blow it up - cannot be traded until January 14)

- Rozier + minor asset(if needed) for Willy Hernangomez

- Rozier + Yabu for Portis + Justin Holiday

- Rozier + Yabu for Jeremy Lamb

- Rozier + Yabu + Nader for Bogdan Bogdanovic

- Roy's idea : Rozier for Barea

Personally speaking, I'm ready to move on from Morris as well. Having said that, both Rozier and Morris are on a bargain contract till 2019, so I wouldn't mind if they stayed either.
I like Simmons and Green but don't see them being moved.  would also mean the next guard off the bench is Nader/Larkin and that's a step in the wrong direction.

the rest are just the same issue -- no offense or no defense or no consistency.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 10:33:14 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I like Simmons and Green but don't see them being moved.  would also mean the next guard off the bench is Nader/Larkin and that's a step in the wrong direction.
Simmons would provide cover for both the SG and the SF positions.

What you are describing is an All-Star caliber player. If you are aware of a player who can do all 3 of those things and at the same time he is potentially available for a package centered around Rozier, please let me know. :P
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:43:28 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The problem with our bench is that (with Morris injured) outside of Rozier, we really have nobody that can go off and that is scary. Last year you knew that somebody like KO or Gerald Green could have a big night if things weren't going well with the starting unit, but our deep bench is so young and/or crappy that it is pretty useless.

I agree with others who are ready to cut ties with Nader and Larkin and bring back locker room sweetheart, Gerald Green, as well as a PG who can light it up on occasion (Ellis, Crawford, Barbosa, etc). Save the DPE for a big buy-out.

It's great to have consistency from your bench guys and we do to an extent - especially defensively, but the back end of that bench needs to have a little more veteran savvy if we are truly going to be contending.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The bench is really young and going to have its issues. I believe we are currently witnessing DA's feeling out period. ( to paraphrase) He has commented before that he likes it when the young players are forced into a real role and he can see what kind of players they are. I believe I heard him say that on a podcast and he was referring to the assumption early in the big 3 days that Rondo would be replaced with a vet.

I suspect Morris's health will play a large role in what DA does leading up to the all-star break.

With the entire roster healthy (minus Hayward) BS has typically run a ten man rotation. If Morris is out the teams desperately needs to add offense to the bench. I could see the Cs signing Gerald Green back at the vet min as the 15th man. BS can then split Morris's minutes between Green and Semi. Then DA can wait till vets are bought out to make a move with the DPE. At that time he can either cut Green or looking for a Nader trade/release.   

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 11:26:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Simmons would provide cover for both the SG and the SF positions.
I see Simmons as more of a forward than a guard.

What you are describing is an All-Star caliber player. If you are aware of a player who can do all 3 of those things and at the same time he is potentially available for a package centered around Rozier, please let me know. :P
not really.  Evan Turner was fairly solid all-around and not an all-star with us by any means. 

Amir Johnson too for that matter.  could provide some offense, some D and was fairly consistent.  the problem with Amir is we needed him to start but would have been a solid guy off the bench when we had him.

those are just a couple of examples. 

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
A guard who can light it up.
Lou Williams would be my fave.
I second that.  The Clips are going nowhere so might as well tank and Lou Williams is on the last year of his deal.  They could either buy him out or we could trade for him - Nader for Williams  ;)?  LOL.

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
We need a scorer to go with Rozier off the bench. Smart provides stuff but sometimes we need scoring. We also need another big off the bench. Bogut and Lou Will would be good. It's still too early but I think Ainge will make moves. I'm ready to jettison Yabu, he adds nothing.

I think last night was an evaluation game to see where these guys are...and it was ugly.

I tell you what I'm sick of. I'm sick of not running offense through Tatum. Last night Tatum should've put up 20+ shots with 2 starters down. I don't want to see more shots go to Rozier, Smart or Brown. Tatum is better in isolation and getting to FT line.

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 11:58:01 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Two Magic players as reclamation projects ...

Hezonja is a good athlete with a scoring mentality. I'm not convinced he is good, but he wouldn't be the first Magic player that has not been developed until he got to another team.

Payton gets to his places on the court. I don't think he is going to make that much money next off-season. he is a good backup. Would you trade Smart for Payton straight up? Right now? Payton is a much better offensive player who can get into the paint -- something the second unit desperately needs. I like how crafty he is. The Magic were rumored to like Smart leading up the draft. They need a junkyard leader.

Just a thought. Both are highly unlikely. I do like Payton though.