Author Topic: Lebron to Houston talk heating up  (Read 7424 times)

Re: Lebron to Houston talk heating up
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Dumb question: I'm LeBron and I want to go to Houston. Other than the pride issue, how much does my salary mean to me? In other words, am I making so much in endorsements that I don't really care?

Mike

As the great Patrick Ewing once said, "We might make a lot of money, but we also spend a lot of money".

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 03:21:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Considering we had a lengthy thread on Lebron somehow going to Philly, figured a front page article from the ringer may warrant some actual discussion.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/12/11/16760590/lebron-james-houston-rockets-free-agency

Sam Amick also floated the idea in USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/columnist/sam-amick/2017/12/09/houston-rockets-lebron-james-free-agency/937335001/

I still think the Lakers are most likely because I think it is the best place for him to go to build an empire. From a basketball standpoint he could definitely set up the banana boat team there (Carmelo is playing himself towards the bi-annual exception right now).

how can it heat up when nothing will be done mid season?

Will lebron declare mid season he is joining the Rockets next season?

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 03:30:05 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Dumb question: I'm LeBron and I want to go to Houston. Other than the pride issue, how much does my salary mean to me? In other words, am I making so much in endorsements that I don't really care?

Mike

I thought about this. What's that salary $ to Lebron? His net worth is around 400M... But maybe he hopes to purchase a team down the line. He's still pretty far from Ownership money.

It's also the principle, especially as a businessman.

Just throwing out hypotheticals, but what happens to Houston if LeBron goes there?

Team value goes up 20%-30% maybe?  That's a $440 to $660 million increase based on the recent $2.2b sale (granted ownership doesn't actually get this unless they agree to sell).  But there's also team revenue which might go up maybe $100m annually?  Operating Income goes up $25m annually maybe?

That's all money that goes to ownership.  Why should LeBron take a discount so ownership can reap all the rewards?

(Just pulling these SWAGs off of what I see from the Warriors here, here, and here, sure it's more complicated then this, especially considering some of these past numbers may have been impacted by the NBA's new tv deal, remember just hypotheticals)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 05:01:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Mike

I thought about this. What's that salary $ to Lebron? His net worth is around 400M... But maybe he hopes to purchase a team down the line. He's still pretty far from Ownership money.

Just throwing out hypotheticals, but what happens to Houston if LeBron goes there?

Team value goes up 20%-30% maybe?  That's a $440 to $660 million increase based on the recent $2.2b sale (granted ownership doesn't actually get this unless they agree to sell).  But there's also team revenue which might go up maybe $100m annually?  Operating Income goes up $25m annually maybe?

That's all money that goes to ownership.  Why should LeBron take a discount so ownership can reap all the rewards?

(Just pulling these SWAGs off of what I see from the Warriors here, here, and here, sure it's more complicated then this, especially considering some of these past numbers may have been impacted by the NBA's new tv deal, remember just hypotheticals)

Do players make more money themselves if their team wins the champs? Or is that not going to be significant for a player like Lebron?

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 05:03:30 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Wouldn't shock me to see Labron and Wade head to Houston together to team with Paul and Harden. Morey will have to pull off some magic to get a team to take Anderson's contract but like the article says a team like the Kings may be willing in the off-season.

I think the assumption here is that once LeBron goes into full-on ring chaser mode, that he will take less money to join "his buddies."

Houston makes way more sense than LA/PHI

It would be amazing if CLE lost LeBrom, IT and traded the Brooklyn pick for DeAndre. That team would collapse in on itself like a dying star ;)

analogies like this give me faith in humanity

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 05:12:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Good. Get the eff out the East already.

amen and outmofmthe NBA

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 11:16:23 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Mike

Do players make more money themselves if their team wins the champs? Or is that not going to be significant for a player like Lebron?

I don't think it's significant for most players, unless winning the championship just happens to correspond with your emergence into the national spotlight (a la Steph Curry).

I think the impact of endorsements as well as potential endorsement dollars tends to be extremely overestimated by fans.

Outside the top 2-3 NBA players, you make more from your NBA team than you do endorsements.  And outside the top 10-15 best and most marketable players you're making peanuts (by pro athlete standards), lucky to crack $2 million in annual endorsements.  Throwing some examples out here,  Jimmy Bulter made $900k in endorsements in one of the biggest markets in Chicago last year.  DeAndre Jordan made $800k in 2016 in LA.  Brook Lopez made $500k in NYC.  Then you have guys you'd might be really raking in the big bucks, guys like Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, and Carmelo Anthony, huge names, in tons of commercials, playing at their peak in the NBA's biggest markets, and they've never earned over $9m a year in endorsements.

But anyway, back to LeBron.  He's been the NBA's top endorser for the last like 10 years.  Maybe he has incentives in his Nike contract (the main source of his endorsement money) to win a championship (or MVP), but I'd guess it's relatively minor (for LeBron, like say $1m bonus), it's not going to surpass the multi-million dollars he'd leave on the table by taking less than a max deal.  At this point, I really don't think there's anything LeBron could do to significantly increase his marketability value.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:07:02 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 01:38:34 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Lebron, Paul and Harden all on the same team.

Three guys who's games are all pretty much 100% dependant on them having the ball in their hands all the time.

I can't really fathom how that could possible work, from a chemistry standpoint.  They have to be so [dang] good that their sheer individual dominance can overshadow the complete lack of chemistry.  Which they potentially could be, but darn it would be ugly to see. 

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 05:05:06 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I was reading somewhere recently that LeBron hasn’t changed his stance since he was a free agent in 2014. No discounts, he wants to be paid more than anybody. Because that’s exactly what he’s worth, more than any other player. Still.

There was also a tidbit that he would be doing a disservice to the union he is Vice President of by purposely taking less than he could.

We will see what happens. He guy is definitely an egomaniac so anything is possible. You know he’s already a god in Cleveland. He probably going to have his number retired in Miami (they retired Jordan’s ffs). Maybe 5 seasons of 20-25ppg, 5-8rpg, 4-7apg with great defense and a couple rings get him another jersey ceremony. Has anyone had their number retired by three different teams?
CELTICS 2024