Author Topic: Lebron to Houston talk heating up  (Read 7384 times)

Lebron to Houston talk heating up
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Considering we had a lengthy thread on Lebron somehow going to Philly, figured a front page article from the ringer may warrant some actual discussion.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/12/11/16760590/lebron-james-houston-rockets-free-agency

Sam Amick also floated the idea in USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/columnist/sam-amick/2017/12/09/houston-rockets-lebron-james-free-agency/937335001/

I still think the Lakers are most likely because I think it is the best place for him to go to build an empire. From a basketball standpoint he could definitely set up the banana boat team there (Carmelo is playing himself towards the bi-annual exception right now).

Re: Lebron to Houston talk heating up
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Wouldn't shock me to see Labron and Wade head to Houston together to team with Paul and Harden. Morey will have to pull off some magic to get a team to take Anderson's contract but like the article says a team like the Kings may be willing in the off-season.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:20:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I just don't see how they financially do it (while keeping Paul, Capela, etc.), but yeah Houston would be an interesting team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Wouldn't shock me to see Labron and Wade head to Houston together to team with Paul and Harden. Morey will have to pull off some magic to get a team to take Anderson's contract but like the article says a team like the Kings may be willing in the off-season.

I think the assumption here is that once LeBron goes into full-on ring chaser mode, that he will take less money to join "his buddies."

Houston makes way more sense than LA/PHI

It would be amazing if CLE lost LeBrom, IT and traded the Brooklyn pick for DeAndre. That team would collapse in on itself like a dying star ;)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Yea.. if the players make it clear they want something to happen it will happen. If Lebron did go to Houston it would be very bad for the league I think. It would force the realignment of the conferences pretty much immediately...

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
LeBron always wanted to play with his buddies, with Wade on a decline, if LeBron flees to Houston to play with CP3, Wade might go along with him

If LeBron does choose to go to Houston, I wonder what pieces they are going to shed in order just to sign him

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I just don't see how they financially do it (while keeping Paul, Capela, etc.), but yeah Houston would be an interesting team.
Pay-cuts?
https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/HOU.html
Sell picks to get out of Ryan's contract.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Good. Get the eff out the East already.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I could also see Bosh coming out of retirement to join that team. Still, Harden is the only guy in his prime in that group, Lebron is aging and Wade is already cooked. That would still be a formidable team, but not a super team, considering they would lose some of their current depth and youth to shed salaries

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 03:09:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Pay-cuts?
https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/HOU.html
Sell picks to get out of Ryan's contract.
Even if James and Paul took pay cuts and they would have to be massive (like splitting 40 million between them kind of massive), they aren't keeping Capela, Ariza, Black, and Mbah a Moute.  They would obviously lose Anderson, so they would basically just be James, Paul, Harden, Gordon, Tucker, Onuaku, and Nene, plus whatever vets or rooks they could sign for the minimum.  They would lose their depth, especially down low, eliminating much of the advantage they would have.  It would definitely be an interesting team, but even dumping Anderson you would be asking both James and Paul to give up a ton of salary.  And I'm really not as confident as the author that the fit makes all that much sense.  All 3 of those guys are ball dominant offensive players and we only have 10 games of Paul and Harden together so it is really early to declare them an outright success (and adding James and what he brings isn't easy either).

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 03:40:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope it happens somehow. I want Lebron out of the East.

Would Harden defer to LBJ? Where does CP3 fit into a “take turns” offense? Would two key members of the NBAPA take huge pay cuts to team up?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Would Harden defer to LBJ? Where does CP3 fit into a “take turns” offense? Would two key members of the NBAPA take huge pay cuts to team up?
that is why I just don't see it.  I just can't see Paul or James being at the stage where they would give up massive sums of money

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 08:56:18 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I could also see Bosh coming out of retirement to join that team. Still, Harden is the only guy in his prime in that group, Lebron is aging and Wade is already cooked. That would still be a formidable team, but not a super team, considering they would lose some of their current depth and youth to shed salaries
Lebron is aging but he’s not only still in his prime, he’s still improving and is better than he’s ever been.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 08:59:03 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Nah. Bosh have development some of displeasure on playing alongside Lebron.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 10:51:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Good call on the possible ramifications of the two most powerful members of the NBAPA setting an example of taking a huge salary cut to play together. Makes it look bad for the union's positions.