Author Topic: Tatum on pace to have the highest true shooting % of any rookie in NBA history  (Read 6895 times)

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
He needs to shoot more.

TP. This is exactly the case. Tatum is taking open looks and what the defense gives him. Don't get me wrong, he's doing great for making those shots. He's making shots in crunch time and that's huge for a rookie. But I'd like to see him force the issue a bit more. Step up and be a creator.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He needs to shoot more.

I love Tatum, but one of the reasons he's shooting such a high percentage is that he is only taking good shots, often created from great ball movement and the defensive focus on Kyrie and Horford.

Right on the money---remember Summer League ? He took an awful lot of contested "bad" shots--Brad figured it out

Great ball-movement creates great shot opportunities and the Brad Stevens effect is certainly in full-force, but it's not like all of Tatum's jump shots are catch-and-shoot. One of my favorite Tatum moves is catching the ball, pausing, letting the defender fly by, dribbling once to the side and creating a perfectly open 3 that he almost always drains.

He is still leaning on his ability to create off the dribble and it is totally working, but just wait until he learns to consistently come off picks or masters the AB handoff. His shot making and shot creating ability is just incredible so far.

Yeah, that’s my favorite Tatum move also.  He looks just as smooth with that shot as he does when he’s wide open off a catch-and-shoot.

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
50+ games to go plus he will eventually shoot much more as the team is actually really starting to gel... Even with that 16 win streak as Brad said "we werent as good as our record"

I still see him as 50% fg and 45% 3fg by years end..

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He needs to shoot more.

I love Tatum, but one of the reasons he's shooting such a high percentage is that he is only taking good shots, often created from great ball movement and the defensive focus on Kyrie and Horford.

Right on the money---remember Summer League ? He took an awful lot of contested "bad" shots--Brad figured it out

Great ball-movement creates great shot opportunities and the Brad Stevens effect is certainly in full-force, but it's not like all of Tatum's jump shots are catch-and-shoot. One of my favorite Tatum moves is catching the ball, pausing, letting the defender fly by, dribbling once to the side and creating a perfectly open 3 that he almost always drains.

He is still leaning on his ability to create off the dribble and it is totally working, but just wait until he learns to consistently come off picks or masters the AB handoff. His shot making and shot creating ability is just incredible so far.
Yep, he's been excellent at getting to the rim (and finishing) off the dribble. I imagine next season we'll see him actually run some pick-and-rolls and then we'll get a sense of what kind of a playmaker he can be for others. He just hasn't been asked to play that role yet.

All things in due time.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
He needs to shoot more.

Yep, he's been excellent at getting to the rim (and finishing) off the dribble. I imagine next season we'll see him actually run some pick-and-rolls and then we'll get a sense of what kind of a playmaker he can be for others. He just hasn't been asked to play that role yet.

All things in due time.

Did you see when the rim denied Tatum last night? It made me lol a little, but it reminded me that despite Tatum's underrated altheticism, that he is god-willingly only 19...

Amazing...

I mean I remember when I saw Tatum, and Brown on Ballislife highlights, I was always in love with their games, but you cannot believe how surprised I was to find out we drafted both lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I always check the box scores as soon as the game is over, see what everyone's final stat line was for the game.

For the last several games now, the very first thing I go to is Tatum's 3-point makes and attempts.

7 games in a row, 50% or better, as well as 9 of the last 10!  Sure, he's going to come back to earth eventually, but I feel kind of like I did during the winning streak, wondering/fantasizing about how long this can go on for and enjoying the ride along the way.

Funny thing was, when I looked at the box score after the San Antonio game, I noticed Tatum only went 2-4 and thought, man he brought his 3 point % down.  ;D

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:29:34 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm to the point now where I'm surprised when he misses.

And that pull-up 3 off the pick-and-roll last night was confident and smooth.

I can't wait to see what a summer in the weight room will do for his athleticism and strength.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I refuse to discuss this topic for the same reason I don't talk to or about a picther during a no hitter

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Check out weaknesses lol

lolol that just makes his grin seem super sarcastic.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'm to the point now where I'm surprised when he misses.

And that pull-up 3 off the pick-and-roll last night was confident and smooth.

I can't wait to see what a summer in the weight room will do for his athleticism and strength.
The pick and pull up three ball dare I say it looked KD-ish
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
He needs to shoot more.

TP. This is exactly the case. Tatum is taking open looks and what the defense gives him. Don't get me wrong, he's doing great for making those shots. He's making shots in crunch time and that's huge for a rookie. But I'd like to see him force the issue a bit more. Step up and be a creator.
Given his age, I think his discipline is really impressive, and I'd rather see him expand his game as a high efficiency player. You could argue he is the best shooting prospect in the league under 25. Devin Booker and perhaps Bradley Beal are really the only high usage competition he has among that group.

What I think he can do next while staying with high percentage opportunities is really focus more on shooting 3's off picks. He really seems to understand the footwork of how to execute those actions already. He just doesn't do it often enough yet.

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Another way to look at this whole thing... The Celtics have played 28 games thus far and he's shot 52.3% from 3. If he were to have the same number of attempts per game over the final 54, he could shoot his college average (34%) and still end the season with a percentage of 40.2%.

It's not just the shooting that should pump people up. It's that he projects as a potential elite defender in the modern NBA that prioritizes smarts, teamwork, length, and later footwork.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
He needs to shoot more.

Given his age, I think his discipline is really impressive, and I'd rather see him expand his game as a high efficiency player. You could argue he is the best shooting prospect in the league under 25. Devin Booker and perhaps Bradley Beal are really the only high usage competition he has among that group.

What I think he can do next while staying with high percentage opportunities is really focus more on shooting 3's off picks. He really seems to understand the footwork of how to execute those actions already. He just doesn't do it often enough yet.

I think that'll come in time. I don't really see where he needs to rush into increasing his usage rate, given that we don't need him to fill that role any time soon. The fact that he's so willing to let his offense come to him is probably the best thing that we could hope for.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
What a steal.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think you can see an evolution even over the short season in how he's getting his offense.

Here's a game from October:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PPzlXE61pE

And some more recent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys1QZZp4QWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS8OdUQqNNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V8uXCwj0mQ

He just looks a lot more aggressive and confident with the ball in his hands, to me. And it also looks like more of the plays are run for him, as opposed to him getting offense at option #3.

Wouldn't be surprised if his usage soon goes up, since he's still shooting just as efficiently even when he's the focus of the play.