Author Topic: Tatum on pace to have the highest true shooting % of any rookie in NBA history  (Read 6896 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-power-rankings-donovan-mitchell-takes-top-spot-from-ben-simmons/

According to CBS: "Last week I said that Tatum was in a bit of a mini-slump. Yeah, that's not happening anymore. Tatum had a scorching hot week in which he shot 78 percent (not a typo) on 3-pointers, and he now leads the entire NBA at an absurd 51.9 percent from deep. Largely thanks to his incredible 3-point proficiency, he's on pace to have the highest true shooting percentage of any rookie in NBA history who's taken nine or more shots per game. His marksmanship has been particularly surprising given the fact that he shot only 34 percent in his one season at Duke last year, from a considerably shorter 3-point line. He had arguably the lowest floor of any player in the 2017 draft class, but if he can continue to shoot like this, Tatum might have the highest ceiling as well."
^ I think they meant to say highest floor at the end not lowest floor

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
He needs to shoot more.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He needs to shoot more.

I love Tatum, but one of the reasons he's shooting such a high percentage is that he is only taking good shots, often created from great ball movement and the defensive focus on Kyrie and Horford.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
He needs to shoot more.

I love Tatum, but one of the reasons he's shooting such a high percentage is that he is only taking good shots, often created from great ball movement and the defensive focus on Kyrie and Horford.
he's the perfect 4th option for us when hayward comes back. Highly efficient floor spacing 4 that can switch on D

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
He was rated to have a low floor, because low shooting numbers, basically 0 assists, and a game that came out of 2002. He also had a high ceiling because Carmelo/Pierce/Drexler
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Check out weaknesses lol

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
He needs to shoot more.

Right on the money---remember Summer League ? He took an awful lot of contested "bad" shots--Brad figured it out
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
He needs to shoot more.

Just so he can plateau out, go back to something reasonable - around 45%. And then we can stop anointing him as the shooting messiah

It would be nice to see the first 50 50 90 season in history though..

Needs to improve his FT%
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:48:33 AM by trickybilly »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
He needs to shoot more.

Just so he can plateau out, go back to something reasonable - around 45%. And then we can stop anointing him as the shooting messiah
ray allens best season was 45%.

Tatum is so good, prime ray allen is now a "regression to something reasonable."

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
He needs to shoot more.

ray allens best season was 45%.

Tatum is so good, prime ray allen is now a "regression to something reasonable."

Oh don''t get me wrong... Tatum's floor is Ray Allen...  ;D

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
He needs to shoot more.

I think you're minimizing what Tatum is doing right now a tad too much. Yes, all those are factors that do help him, but that case can be made for countless others in the league who just don't measure up.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:48:45 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He needs to shoot more.

And Draymond Green doesnt benefit from the fact teams are focusing on stopping curry, durant, and thompson?

And Smart doesnt get the same wide open looks thanks to horford and kyrie?

But who knocks em down better?

Tatum has both an excellent shot accuracy, off ball movement, and good shot selection.  You rarely see him force up a bad shot.  And his stroke has such a high release its hard to bother his shot in the first place.

Give credit where its due.  Tatum is leading the entire nba in 3pt% as a rookie.  I dont think ive seen anything quite like it.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's amazing that the only real complaint anyone has about him is that he's not aggressive enough. He's been incredible.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It's amazing that the only real complaint anyone has about him is that he's not aggressive enough. He's been incredible.
Yea :D, like saying that a pretty, good-natured, smart girlfriend knows how to bake just 6 types of cakes.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:08:33 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
He needs to shoot more.

Right on the money---remember Summer League ? He took an awful lot of contested "bad" shots--Brad figured it out

Great ball-movement creates great shot opportunities and the Brad Stevens effect is certainly in full-force, but it's not like all of Tatum's jump shots are catch-and-shoot. One of my favorite Tatum moves is catching the ball, pausing, letting the defender fly by, dribbling once to the side and creating a perfectly open 3 that he almost always drains.

He is still leaning on his ability to create off the dribble and it is totally working, but just wait until he learns to consistently come off picks or masters the AB handoff. His shot making and shot creating ability is just incredible so far.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:04:26 AM by jambr380 »