Author Topic: 2018 draft: Jaren Jackson Jr moves into top 5 of many mock drafts  (Read 3958 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
www.nbadraft.net and other mock draft sites have this guy on their top 5, so time to get to know him

NBA Position: Power Forward
Class: Freshman
Ht: 6-11
Wt: 240
Hometown: Indianapolis, IN
NBA Comparison: Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Strengths: 6’10 athletic big man with great length (7’4 wingspan and 9’1 standing reach) ... Good athleticism, energy, and activity ... Mobile, well-coordinated, and fluid ... Good hands and touch around the basket ... Can finish with either hand, doesn’t hesitate to shoot with his left hand ... Good rebounder on both ends ... Keeps the ball high after rebounds, not letting smaller defenders get a hand on it ... Great defensive potential ... Good timing as a shot blocker and gets off the ground quickly ... Rotates and moves his feet well ... Has ability to shoot from outside and has a quick release ... Shows potential as a stretch big man ... Can play the pick and pop ... Good free throw stroke ... Draws several fouls per game ... Solid court vision, passing ability, and understanding of the game ... Spaces the floor well offensively ... Shoots the quick three at times but knows his role as a big man ... Doesn’t try to do too much ... Can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket when given a straight-line attack opportunity from inside the arc ... Willing screener ... Fits the mold for ideal big man in today’s NBA ... Young for his class, won’t turn 18 until the middle of September of his freshman year ...

Weaknesses: Low release on his shot, could use more arc ... Sometimes rushes it and pushes it from his chest without getting it into the shooting pocket ... Shoots quick at times from three and looks off balanced ... Tends to lean forward on free throws ... Post game is raw. Lacks technique around the basket ... Doesn’t handle double teams well .

Highlights:
https://youtu.be/AipnrqPO22A
https://youtu.be/L1gvN1o7kpk
Offense:
https://youtu.be/xfd09SDPypg
https://youtu.be/QZmMp5diJoU

Defense: https://youtu.be/Gm2jxjkHJng
https://youtu.be/Z-XoG9zF7Pc
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:15:03 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: 2018 draft: Jaren Jackson Jr moves into top 5 of many mock drafts
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 11:52:45 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Not Surprised I've had Jackson as the 6th best prospect due to the length and shooting ability but then there was the topic not too long ago about how his defense has been better than expected. I would have no issue with us taking him at 5 if the Lakers pick conveys.

Think he'd have an easier time sliding in next to Horford than Ayton or Bamba. Ayton has a way higher ceiling but he's going to command much more of a commitment from the team that drafts him and I'm not sure that we want to be the team that hands him the keys.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 12:01:57 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Lakers pick looks like it'll be too low to convey......Kings pick in '19 more likely

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
www.nbadraft.net and other mock draft sites have this guy on their top 5, so time to get to know him

I agree.

Watched him in MSU's game vs Rutgers on Tuesday, and while he didn't have great numbers because he got into foul trouble, he blocked 8 shots and had a monster put-back slam and ran the floor real well.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I agree.

Watched him in MSU's game vs Rutgers on Tuesday, and while he didn't have great numbers because he got into foul trouble, he blocked 8 shots and had a monster put-back slam and ran the floor real well.
this is a Brad Stevens type of player

Especially the defensive abilities he has. The fact that he can space the floor must have brad salivating 

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Lakers pick looks like it'll be too low to convey......Kings pick in '19 more likely

I've tried to remain optimistic, but December was supposed to be the month the Lakers went winless and they just won their last two. It's still early and injuries could still wreak havoc on them (we could also get lucky with the lottery draw), but their young players seem to be playing better and their veteran players aren't total duds. After the two GSW games, and the games against CLE and HOU, I will probably change my mind again. Let's just hope NYK can take care of business!!  :D

But, hey, at least BKN is also doing well!

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »

Offline kgwannabe

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think any reasonable chance at the 2018 Lakers pick coming to us next year is low. Not only are they winning, but they look strong even when they don't.  Rather, I think the thing to do is hope for the Lakers to do great (minimizing the value of the pick for Philly), for Sacramento to continue to suck and to hope that "one and done" is eliminated for the 2019 draft. If that occurs, the 2019 draft will have the best talent from two different draft years  together and the Celts will have a shot at an elite big. This is, in my opinion, the best chance going forward barring a couple injuries to the Lakers.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think any reasonable chance at the 2018 Lakers pick coming to us next year is low. Not only are they winning, but they look strong even when they don't.  Rather, I think the thing to do is hope for the Lakers to do great (minimizing the value of the pick for Philly), for Sacramento to continue to suck and to hope that "one and done" is eliminated for the 2019 draft. If that occurs, the 2019 draft will have the best talent from two different draft years  together and the Celts will have a shot at an elite big. This is, in my opinion, the best chance going forward barring a couple injuries to the Lakers.
If they change the rule it will not affect this draft, it will take effect in 2019 and ruin any value the SAC pick would have.  We need LAL to lose now.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 04:55:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If they change the rule it will not affect this draft, it will take effect in 2019 and ruin any value the SAC pick would have.  We need LAL to lose now.

You’ve got it backwards.  If they change the one-and-done to allow players to jump straight from high school in 2019, as is rumored, that makes the 2019 class better.  This is because you have essentially two years worth of first-time eligible players — next year’s college freshmen as well as next year’s high school seniors. 

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Someone did some digging with the Abdur-Rahim comparison.  Haven't seen that name thrown out there for years.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 05:12:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Someone did some digging with the Abdur-Rahim comparison.  Haven't seen that name thrown out there for years.

I think he’s starting to become in vogue again.  I saw someone throw it at Tatum last year.

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think he’s starting to become in vogue again.  I saw someone throw it at Tatum last year.

Just like everything else from the '90s apparently.  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 05:28:34 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

I agree.

this is a Brad Stevens type of player

Especially the defensive abilities he has. The fact that he can space the floor must have brad salivating

Enough about defensive abilities. After Tatum, I only want to know about how much he can score and if he has the body to become a good defender. This is the new draft process. No more Smarts, Biyombos, etc.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 05:43:55 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

Agreed. Welcome to CB and enjoy your first TP.

As it stands now, and with the clear understanding that the top of the draft in 2019 could look very different, there are not a lot of bigs available. Bol Bol at 7'2 and a couple of PF/C at 6'9.

I'd love the Lakers pick to convert, but I think we're gonna need some help from the ping pong balls.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 08:49:15 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

You’ve got it backwards.  If they change the one-and-done to allow players to jump straight from high school in 2019, as is rumored, that makes the 2019 class better.  This is because you have essentially two years worth of first-time eligible players — next year’s college freshmen as well as next year’s high school seniors.

I'm under the impression that they want to change the rule to keep kids in school longer.