Author Topic: Celtics (22-5) at Pistons (14-11) Game #28 12/10/17  (Read 25605 times)

Re: Celtics (22-5) at Pistons (14-11) Game #28 12/10/17
« Reply #300 on: December 10, 2017, 06:38:58 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I think brad is resting players through some games and trying to envolve everyone...he did not give the ball to irving too much today after last nights super effort.... i do not like how smart plays.. i do not like the amount of 3s horford took... i would like to see brown and tatum taking more shots through systems... played some great defence though.. and baynes was a beast.. i like ojeleje... nice defender... calm shooter... keeper.... if we found a true pg who can shoot and defend decently i would trade smart....

that was my guess as well originally. rest starters so they last. get deep bench experience. problem is it is not working. we won't be going past 4 or 5 on bench in playoffs anyway and we still have to get a DPE guy

just to be clear. sure rest is working but our deep bench SUX!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #301 on: December 10, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
All I can say to the stevens lynch mob is thank sweet baby Jesus we don't have Thibs running guys into the dust.

Not to mention we are basically a brand new team finding its identity.

I can only shudder to think the reaction if we were 19-8
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #302 on: December 10, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Hey we are 23-5..23-5!!!!! I'm happy as heck!!! If u told me in oct. we have best record on Dec 10th, I say u are crazy
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #303 on: December 10, 2017, 06:43:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Or, god forbid, ala the pistons the Celtics drop five of six games

It was a very good win on the road by a good team that did not play its best game. I like how this team is coming together and how the bench plays defense. One more scorer off the bench would he welcome though.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #304 on: December 10, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
C's have won a lot of games where they haven't played particularly well. Maybe that is just the team we have this year. Just not always pretty to look at but gets the job done.

all i am saying is these results are not sustainable especially in playoffs with these PERFORMANCES. we need to fix the little things and then we can let the results take care of themsleves

You're preaching to the choir but we are 25 games in eventually you are who you are.

If you are who you are, then the C's are a 23-5 team that manages to win ugly when they need to.  I get that these types of wins aren't sustainable, but "who they are" is the team with the 2nd best record in the NBA. 

Smart is agonizing, but a whole lot better than Tony Allen was before he left for Memphis.  TA was a nightmare with the ball and his 1:1 Assist:TO ratio tells the story reasonably well.  What it doesn't tell you is you got the same feeling when TA touched the ball as you feel when Marcus is about to shoot.  Marcus averages 5 assists a game and plays superior defense with superior energy.  He needs to stop shooting -- and he will.  He's still a very valuable player on this team.

« Reply #305 on: December 10, 2017, 06:48:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
C's have won a lot of games where they haven't played particularly well. Maybe that is just the team we have this year. Just not always pretty to look at but gets the job done.

all i am saying is these results are not sustainable especially in playoffs with these PERFORMANCES. we need to fix the little things and then we can let the results take care of themsleves

You're preaching to the choir but we are 25 games in eventually you are who you are.

If you are who you are, then the C's are a 23-5 team that manages to win ugly when they need to.  I get that these types of wins aren't sustainable, but "who they are" is the team with the 2nd best record in the NBA. 

Smart is agonizing, but a whole lot better than Tony Allen was before he left for Memphis.  TA was a nightmare with the ball and his 1:1 Assist:TO ratio tells the story reasonably well.  What it doesn't tell you is you got the same feeling when TA touched the ball as you feel when Marcus is about to shoot.  Marcus averages 5 assists a game and plays superior defense with superior energy.  He needs to stop shooting -- and he will.  He's still a very valuable player on this team.
Marcus Smart is a special defender. Tony Allen was a better one.

He just has to take and make enough shots that other teams know he is willing to shoot if left alone.

As for their 23-5 record, they have the leagues 4th best pythagorean win% (which I think is just a combo of net rating and strength of schedule or something like that).

They have played like a 19-8 team. Really good, but not as good as 23-5 suggests.

That said, when you have a coach like Brad and a closer like Irving you should always finish a bit above those types of projections.

With all that said, if we can continue at that projected 19-8 pace for the rest of the year we would finish at 61-21. Not too shabby!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:55:26 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #306 on: December 10, 2017, 06:51:46 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
This Pistons team would beat the C's in a playoff series imo. Hope the Pistons either get in the 3-6 range or miss the playoffs completely because I do not have faith that the C's could beat them 4 times.

it is why too many are putting too much into results. i am mainly looking at performances. now would i take ugly wins against the cavs in ECF? heck yes but IF we get performances like this we won't get by the raps or wiz or whomever. lol

Now you're exaggerating. This team have already beaten the Raptors without our best players. And the Wizards? They are pretenders. We beat them last year with a much more inferior roster. I wouldn't worry much about them.

Pistons have also lost 6 straight games.

« Reply #307 on: December 10, 2017, 06:52:03 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
13 boards for baynes

POTG
TP

Agree, he dominated the paint. It shows there is still value in those bruiser types of Centers.

It's once of those things where you don't need one till you need one. And tonight against Drummond we needed one.

« Reply #308 on: December 10, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Or, god forbid, ala the pistons the Celtics drop five of six games

It was a very good win on the road by a good team that did not play its best game. I like how this team is coming together and how the bench plays defense. One more scorer off the bench would he welcome though.

It is a pretty hopeful thought that DA has the DPE to get either a big to add even more toughness in the middle, or a sharpshooter for the bench.  I am not a fan of trading either Smart or Rozier, but of course that depends on who'd be coming back.

« Reply #309 on: December 10, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Hey we are 23-5..23-5!!!!! I'm happy as heck!!! If u told me in oct. we have best record on Dec 10th, I say u are crazy

what IF ....we had kept  IT hurt , drafted  Fult hurt and mental , no Kyrie , no Hayward ......what would the record be ?

i think .500 would been iffy.

« Reply #310 on: December 10, 2017, 06:57:54 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I think brad is resting players through some games and trying to envolve everyone...he did not give the ball to irving too much today after last nights super effort.... i do not like how smart plays.. i do not like the amount of 3s horford took... i would like to see brown and tatum taking more shots through systems... played some great defence though.. and baynes was a beast.. i like ojeleje... nice defender... calm shooter... keeper.... if we found a true pg who can shoot and defend decently i would trade smart....

that was my guess as well originally. rest starters so they last. get deep bench experience. problem is it is not working. we won't be going past 4 or 5 on bench in playoffs anyway and we still have to get a DPE guy

just to be clear. sure rest is working but our deep bench SUX!

Ah, but they have...upside!  Maybe by the playoffs they could each play a competent 5 spot minutes in an important game. That's pretty good for your 11th and 12th player.

« Reply #311 on: December 10, 2017, 07:10:36 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Only 6 points for Drummond! :o Heck of an improvement. Good win guys.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #312 on: December 10, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
All I can say to the stevens lynch mob is thank sweet baby Jesus we don't have Thibs running guys into the dust.

Not to mention we are basically a brand new team finding its identity.

I can only shudder to think the reaction if we were 19-8

what lynch mob? there is ONE POSTER who bashes everything CBS does. you figure out who it is ok?

I myself love CBS but he is not perfect and does deserve just criticisms. I am sorry if you cannot see that.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #313 on: December 10, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
This Pistons team would beat the C's in a playoff series imo. Hope the Pistons either get in the 3-6 range or miss the playoffs completely because I do not have faith that the C's could beat them 4 times.

it is why too many are putting too much into results. i am mainly looking at performances. now would i take ugly wins against the cavs in ECF? heck yes but IF we get performances like this we won't get by the raps or wiz or whomever. lol

Now you're exaggerating. This team have already beaten the Raptors without our best players. And the Wizards? They are pretenders. We beat them last year with a much more inferior roster. I wouldn't worry much about them.

Pistons have also lost 6 straight games.

right REGULAR SEASON. I am talking PLAYOFFS. 7 game playoffs NOT REGULAR SEASON. ok???  If you don't think the wiz are a threat I am not sure what else to tell you. They played us tough as nails last year. we cannot overlook anyone. Are we bettter now? sure. i agree. but the point is again...........it is obvious we can have bad performances. I agree with brad. forget that win streak. let's focus on fixing things and our inconsistent performance moving forward.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #314 on: December 10, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
13 boards for baynes

POTG
TP

Agree, he dominated the paint. It shows there is still value in those bruiser types of Centers.

It's once of those things where you don't need one till you need one. And tonight against Drummond we needed one.

yup you are correct!
LET'S GO CELTICS!