Author Topic: Trade for Dedmon  (Read 4819 times)

Re: Trade for Dedmon
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 02:27:16 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think the best is to trade for a service able player around the full 8.4 DAE soon and then turn around and trade that same player for a player making up to 13 million.....  Opens up the inventory....

Or even better idea is

We wait and sign a stud that gets bought out.   This player to be named will move the needle much more than Deadman.....  IMO
Diggles

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think the best is to trade for a service able player around the full 8.4 DAE soon and then turn around and trade that same player for a player making up to 13 million.....  Opens up the inventory....

Or even better idea is

We wait and sign a stud that gets bought out.   This player to be named will move the needle much more than Deadman.....  IMO

I believe that last Friday was the deadline to sign a player for the DPE and subsequently trade that player at the trade deadline. It is now too late to use that player in a trade and this player that we sign is one we will use and not trade.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 07:44:37 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21

Or even better idea is

I believe that last Friday was the deadline to sign a player for the DPE and subsequently trade that player at the trade deadline. It is now too late to use that player in a trade and this player that we sign is one we will use and not trade.

Yeah the deadline was Dec 8th. But can’t we make it a 3 team trade to serve the same purpose? ...

I.e: 

To ATL: Vince Carter (buyout), Yabusele, conditional 2nd rd pick
To SAC: DPE ($8M) + 2nd rd pick
To BOS: Dedmon

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 01:37:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mark Deeks: GiveMeSport has learned that the Atlanta Hawks are trying to trade Dewayne Dedmon. While it appears to not have been reported prior, it nonetheless will (or should) come as no surprise to Hawks fans to know that. After all, why wouldn’t they be trying to trade him? 5 days ago – via Give Me Sport

Celtics should make an offer to obtain Dedmon

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 09:29:22 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13

Or even better idea is

That deadline is associated with adding players to the trade since you have the recently traded player "timer" (something like 60 days / its 90 for signed players unless i'm mistaken). But players can immediately be traded again by themselves. If for instance you sent a second round pick for Sacramento's Vince Carter who fits into the DPE (you don't trade a DPE / you use it as space) you could immediately flip him alone for a player making up to 5 mil more. And that player can have multiple years on their deal.

The deadline was talked about as a the timer to acquire somebody making more than the DPE + 5 Mil as you'd have to add players to make it work.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
If he waived his player option and we traded say our late first rounder and the DPE for him, would we have Bird Rights to re-sign him???????

Smitty77

No, unfortunately

Bird rights are gained when a player is on a team (or really a contract, since rights can go in a trade) for 3 years. This most recent contract started this year in Atlanta.

See here (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/dewayne-dedmon-13536/)

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett

Or even better idea is

Yeah the deadline was Dec 8th. But can’t we make it a 3 team trade to serve the same purpose? ...

I.e: 

To ATL: Vince Carter (buyout), Yabusele, conditional 2nd rd pick
To SAC: DPE ($8M) + 2nd rd pick
To BOS: Dedmon

The DPE is not a trade-able asset, its cap space that players can be traded into.

If you're willing to trade players for Dedmon, Yabusele and Nader work (with those conditional second rounders probably).

Or those conditional picks straight up for Dedmon, who would fit into the DPE if he waived his player option.

The only way to use the DPE in a three team scenario at this point would be to acquire a player with it (likely for a cheap pick), and then flip that player by himself as soon as you'd like (likely plus another pick) for your desired player making up to 5 Mil more. That involves two teams & two trades.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Dedmon's Player Option is what's making this hard for us.

If he didn't have the choice to be a free agent next year, a 1st round pick (ours) would be easier to let go to trade for him.

I don't think we should when he can opt out of his deal. With that said, I don't think I mind giving ATL multiple seconds and a player for Dedmon. The question is, will they budge?

Man, I would love Dedmon here. He would just fit in perfectly.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Dedmon's Player Option is what's making this hard for us.

If he didn't have the choice to be a free agent next year, a 1st round pick (ours) would be easier to let go to trade for him.

I don't think we should when he can opt out of his deal. With that said, I don't think I mind giving ATL multiple seconds and a player for Dedmon. The question is, will they budge?

Man, I would love Dedmon here. He would just fit in perfectly.
I wonder whether NBA contracts allow language such as "giving you a 1st that converts into a 2nd if the player opts out of their deal".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."