Poll

Is Stevens playing Baynes enough?

Yes
19 (54.3%)
No
16 (45.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Stevens' usage of Baynes  (Read 8151 times)

Re: Stevens' usage of Baynes
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Rebounding and defense are clearly better with Baynes, but the Celtics are +8.2 per 100 possessions on offense with him off the floor. I think Stevens is more match-up orientated on offense than defense. That is, he seems to adjust his lineups more to create scoring mismatches than to rectify defensive ones.

He didn't double Drummond or Aldridge despite them both destroying Horford and he didn't want to play another big man next to him. Maybe he felt like they could compensate for it on the other end. This is obviously dependent on two things: Horford actually playing well on offense (which he didn't against both Aldridge and Drummond) and the Celtics rebounding. I just think it's hard to say one way or the other what the right call is.

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 12:50:02 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Once again, people question CBS who is a great coach, and people think they could do better.   These threads are hysterical.

This. Several things make CBS a better coach than us.

1. Experience as a coach. I coached 1 year of high school basketball and was a student assistant at a d3 college. Others of you may have more experience, but I'm guessing few if any have experience at the D1 level or NBA level.
2. Intelligence. He's smarter than I am. I'm guessing he's smarter than you.
3. The amount of time he is able to put into to research and gameplan. I know we might look at a lot of stats and watch a lot of games, but I'm sure few of us are even close to CBS.
4. The support staff's scouting. 6-10 people also reviewing tape, stats, tendencies, plays, systems. This leads to less blind spots and a greater degree of understanding of the game.
5. In person. Arm-chair or forum-coaching is great and all, but maybe Stevens saw something in person we didn't.

Some of this is true, some of it is just conjecture.

It's absolutely possible, and most likely probable, there are some people who are more intelligent than Brad, even if all we are talking about is 'basketball intelligence'. Just because one person is a NBA coach and another person is just a fan, doesn't inherently make the coach a more intelligent person.

Also, while you say maybe Brad saw something we didn't, it is absolute possible someone here saw something Brad didn't. Likely, maybe not, but absolutely within the realm of possibility.

I am going to say it is extremely unlikely anyone here has more basketball intelligence than Brad, and the fact you find it probable confuses me.

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 01:25:46 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Baynes is playing a career high 17.4 MPG right now. Career highs in BPG RPG and Turnovers. He's playing more than he ever has.

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Aldridge killed us last night in 4th. Baynes could have done better to hold position than Al. Stronger base.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 01:43:08 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The debate comes down to how Stevens perceives Bayne's impact on the game and how this element can help the team. "Horford's getting beat buy Drummond/Aldridge or whomever" is not information/data that Stevens is missing/not reacting to or unable to stop.

Assuming what Pop is going to get from Aldridge is Steven's job. Knowing that he is playing a top 5 NBA team on their homecourt is also his job and how to use his players strengths to attack the opponent's weaknesses is why Stevens is so highly regarded.

Irving, one on the NBA's best shooters/ball handler's/ice men, had the ball last night with a second and a clear shot at a three to tie the game just like in Cleveland in the Celtic's first of 5 losses this season. The possibility exists that the Spurs were the better team last night by the inch or two Irving missed by.   

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 01:43:21 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So who are we taking out so Baynes can play more?

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Once again, people question CBS who is a great coach, and people think they could do better.   These threads are hysterical.

This. Several things make CBS a better coach than us.

1. Experience as a coach. I coached 1 year of high school basketball and was a student assistant at a d3 college. Others of you may have more experience, but I'm guessing few if any have experience at the D1 level or NBA level.
2. Intelligence. He's smarter than I am. I'm guessing he's smarter than you.
3. The amount of time he is able to put into to research and gameplan. I know we might look at a lot of stats and watch a lot of games, but I'm sure few of us are even close to CBS.
4. The support staff's scouting. 6-10 people also reviewing tape, stats, tendencies, plays, systems. This leads to less blind spots and a greater degree of understanding of the game.
5. In person. Arm-chair or forum-coaching is great and all, but maybe Stevens saw something in person we didn't.

Some of this is true, some of it is just conjecture.

It's absolutely possible, and most likely probable, there are some people who are more intelligent than Brad, even if all we are talking about is 'basketball intelligence'. Just because one person is a NBA coach and another person is just a fan, doesn't inherently make the coach a more intelligent person.

Also, while you say maybe Brad saw something we didn't, it is absolute possible someone here saw something Brad didn't. Likely, maybe not, but absolutely within the realm of possibility.

I am going to say it is extremely unlikely anyone here has more basketball intelligence than Brad, and the fact you find it probable confuses me.

Maybe you're just easily confused? ;)

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Baynes left in third quarter and never returned-As bad a Horford was getting beat there wasn't any option to play Baynes so how could anyone put this loss on Brad for usage of Baynes in 4th quarter.

Aldridge was great but he had a turnover in last minutes, Tatum either got his hand in or threatened enough for Aldridge to lose control..We lost because of a long bounce offensive rebound  by Ginobili and then he hits a clutch three.Also  Ginobili earlier drew the 6th foul on Smart.

The VETS won this one for the Spurs.
Marcus Morris had a very poor shooting game and scored only 5 points.

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I would like to see more of Baynes in the fourth quarter.
We could of used him last night, if he was not injured.

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Baynes left in third quarter and never returned-As bad a Horford was getting beat there wasn't any option to play Baynes so how could anyone put this loss on Brad for usage of Baynes in 4th quarter.

Reading comprehension is seriously lacking.

I never said anything about the 4Q. I'm talking about his overall use of Baynes over the last 6 games, especially vs bigs like Drummond and Aldridge that have had their way with Horford. Playing Baynes 27 total minutes vs Drummond and Aldridge's combined 96 minutes seems like a bad idea and a misuse of player personnel.

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 04:38:11 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I was FURIOUS with Stevens and his rotations last night!!!  Last night, Al was being used like a rag doll by Aldridge.  Arguably one of Al Horford's WORST games in his professional career!!!!  HORRIBLE!!!!

So, SINCE Al was being brutalized by Lemarcus, why did Baynes only play 14 minutes and he only had two fouls????????

Also, why the heck did Brad play Marcus Morris 25 minutes in last night's game???  I know, someone is going to say he averages 24.2 minutes per this year, so that is about his average.  BUT, did you watch the game?  Morris was horrible on offense and defense!!!

And this might have been discussed in the game thread, but was anyone else SHOCKED that Smart, reknowned as a GREAT defensive play, did NOT get the call at the end of the first half when Forbes literally PUSHED him out of bounds?  Did anyone else notice that Marcus was shoved by the screener (I think it was Aldridge) into the cutter for his sixth foul??  I replayed it and he was clearly pushed into the cutter.  Ridiculous.

That being said, we lost the game with our horrendous rotations (thanks Brad) and by NOT getting Tatum MORE stinking shots and relying almost entirely on Irving's offense.  Dang, Brown was shooting well and deserved MORE shots as well!!!

Brad is a genius in calling plays out of timeouts and preparing teams, but he sort of sucks with his rotations and taking out the hot player.  (Kyrie had freaking 17 points in the first quarter and sat for about the first 6 minutes of the second quarter.)  This is infuriating!!!  Brad, go back and watch the Chuck Daly coached Pistons and watched how he would ALWAYS milk the hot hand until it went dry.

Smitty77

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I understand the matchup idea that Brad is going with.  I however LOVE Baynes as a starter for defense and boxing out.  I want him to start every game for that alone.  Yes Morris will match up better in certain games.  Baynes seals off his man (tommy lingo) so even if he doesn't get the rebound you'll see Tatum or brown get it.  Noticeable difference in their rebounding numbers last group of games when baynes isn't getting his minutes.

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
"I blame a large part of yesterdays loss on Stevens and his misuse of Baynes"-i think that says it all and you said it
 but the celts record says different
How did he misuse Baynes yesterday-
The offense rolls through Horford and he spreads the floor opening up for Kyrie and Tatum.

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
"I blame a large part of yesterdays loss on Stevens and his misuse of Baynes"-i think that says it all and you said it
The offense rolls through Horford and he spreads the floor opening up for Kyrie and Tatum.

The GAME that I am talking about Rollie IS last night's game and we are 0-1 in that game DUE to Brad.

You seriously did not have a problem with HOW we were guarding Aldridge and who we were putting on him??

You didn't mind playing an AWFUL Marcus Morris 25 utterly WORTHLESS minutes last night?

You did not have a problem with Morris and Brown not getting MORE shots?

I have immense respect for your b-ball knowledge Rollie, but I simply don't see HOW you can defend the rotations and minutes LAST night!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

The GAME that I am talking about Rollie IS last night's game and we are 0-1 in that game DUE to Brad.

You seriously did not have a problem with HOW we were guarding Aldridge and who we were putting on him??

You didn't mind playing an AWFUL Marcus Morris 25 utterly WORTHLESS minutes last night?

You did not have a problem with Morris and Brown not getting MORE shots?

I have immense respect for your b-ball knowledge Rollie, but I simply don't see HOW you can defend the rotations and minutes LAST night!!!

Smitty77

If you sat down with Brad, and asked him why he did the things you think he did wrong, do you think you would have better reasoning than he does?