Poll

Is Stevens playing Baynes enough?

Yes
19 (54.3%)
No
16 (45.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Stevens' usage of Baynes  (Read 8224 times)

Stevens' usage of Baynes
« on: December 09, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm not sure why Baynes continues to receive the Zeller treatment, which is a token start followed by limited minutes, but it's extremely frustrating. Over the last 6 games he has only played the following minutes: 14, 10, 15, 18, 14, and 13. Furthermore, he was not in foul trouble in any of those games with the highest foul count over that stretch at 3.

2 games are really baffling over that span. The Pistons game where Drummond played 40 minutes and posted 26 points and 20 rebounds, while Baynes only played 13 minutes. The other was last night when Aldridge was clearly abusing Horford inside. Aldridge's play against Horford clearly had an impact on Horford's game on both ends and as a result he struggled badly, shooting 1 for 6 and only scoring 2 points in 35 minutes. At least we were able to prevail vs Detroit, but I blame a large part of yesterday's loss on Stevens and his misuse of Baynes.

OVERALL

Record with Baynes playing over 20 minutes
10-0

Record with Baynes playing under 20 minutes
12-5

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:31:08 AM by Eddie20 »

Re: Stevens' usage of Baynes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »

Offline jackpercussion

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
I agree.  Theis as well. Someone pointed out stats that when both players receive 40 minutes plus, the teams' overall numbers are better.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:11:50 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Baynes got hurt last night, so that’s part of the reason he didn’t play as much as you’d have liked.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Baynes got hurt last night, so that’s part of the reason he didn’t play as much as you’d have liked.

This isn't really accurate. Baynes was injured with 23 seconds left in the 3Q and judging by Stevens' track record Baynes doesn't play much, if at all, in the 4Q as he prefers going small.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Baynes and Theis are both going to be on the bench in the last 5 minutes of the 4th.  Get used to it. 

Stevens will go small with either Horford/Morris/Tatum/Smart/Kyrie or Horford/Tatum/Brown/Smart/Kyrie.  That's they way he wants to defend and against most teams that will work.  Not against the LMAs of the world.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Added to OP

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 09:32:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

This isn't really accurate. Baynes was injured with 23 seconds left in the 3Q and judging by Stevens' track record Baynes doesn't play much, if at all, in the 4Q as he prefers going small.

It is accurate to say it was part of the reason.  He probably would have started the 4th, and may have come in after Smart fouled out.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 09:39:20 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He has a good mid-range jumpshot, but a pretty meh feel for swinging the ball side-to-side.

Plus, he gets a lot of fouls, which hurt us in other ways.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 09:42:53 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

It is accurate to say it was part of the reason.  He probably would have started the 4th, and may have come in after Smart fouled out.

Highly doubtful especially when you look at Stevens' track record of playing Baynes in the 4Q. Smart fouled out with 3 minutes left and I can't recall one instance when Baynes has played the last 5 minutes of a closely contested game. This isn't really debatable.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 10:41:55 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Depends on the matchups. Baynes brings some toughness and D up front when they need it. What he doesn't bring is length--and they are overmatched inside against the Aldridges, Drummonds and Kounmpos. This could be their Achilles heel in the playoffs. Ainge would be wise to pick up a veteran rim protector like Tyson Chandler for the stretch run.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Once again, people question CBS who is a great coach, and people think they could do better.   These threads are hysterical.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Once again, people question CBS who is a great coach, and people think they could do better.   These threads are hysterical.

What an odd statement. How is being critical of Stevens in his rotations a direct correlation to suggest one can do better than him? I'm sure you've been critical of some of Ainge's decisions does that mean you can do better? Or if you haven't  enjoyed a certain song or movie would that automatically suggest that you feel you can be a better musician or director?

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

And yet those types of comments add more value to the forum than comments like yours, which add zero value.

Nobody on this planet is above reproach or criticism, except for me, I'm perfect.

But seriously, constructive criticism is the backbone of a healthy dialogue and vital towards progress. And while I doubt Danny, Brad, or anyone else on the Celtics is reading this forum, there's no reason as fans we can't discuss things just because that discussion might very well lead nowhere.

If you prefer to be nothing more than a cheerleader, that's fine. If others rather engage in substantive discussion, that's fine too.

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 12:12:38 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

This. Several things make CBS a better coach than us.

1. Experience as a coach. I coached 1 year of high school basketball and was a student assistant at a d3 college. Others of you may have more experience, but I'm guessing few if any have experience at the D1 level or NBA level.
2. Intelligence. He's smarter than I am. I'm guessing he's smarter than you.
3. The amount of time he is able to put into to research and gameplan. I know we might look at a lot of stats and watch a lot of games, but I'm sure few of us are even close to CBS.
4. The support staff's scouting. 6-10 people also reviewing tape, stats, tendencies, plays, systems. This leads to less blind spots and a greater degree of understanding of the game.
5. In person. Arm-chair or forum-coaching is great and all, but maybe Stevens saw something in person we didn't.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 12:44:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This. Several things make CBS a better coach than us.

1. Experience as a coach. I coached 1 year of high school basketball and was a student assistant at a d3 college. Others of you may have more experience, but I'm guessing few if any have experience at the D1 level or NBA level.
2. Intelligence. He's smarter than I am. I'm guessing he's smarter than you.
3. The amount of time he is able to put into to research and gameplan. I know we might look at a lot of stats and watch a lot of games, but I'm sure few of us are even close to CBS.
4. The support staff's scouting. 6-10 people also reviewing tape, stats, tendencies, plays, systems. This leads to less blind spots and a greater degree of understanding of the game.
5. In person. Arm-chair or forum-coaching is great and all, but maybe Stevens saw something in person we didn't.

Some of this is true, some of it is just conjecture.

It's absolutely possible, and most likely probable, there are some people who are more intelligent than Brad, even if all we are talking about is 'basketball intelligence'. Just because one person is a NBA coach and another person is just a fan, doesn't inherently make the coach a more intelligent person.

Also, while you say maybe Brad saw something we didn't, it is absolute possible someone here saw something Brad didn't. Likely, maybe not, but absolutely within the realm of possibility.