Author Topic: Smart is similar to prime Dennis Johnson according to FiveThirtyEight Carmelo  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
So I guess most in this thread never saw DJ play in Seattle and don't realize just how different their style of play is. Early DJ was an athletic freak, slasher, high flying dunker. He scored in much different ways than Smart and was more efficient. Also, DJ didn't even defend like Smart in those younger days. Smart uses his strength to bulldog people. DJ used his speed and lateral quickness to bother the defender up in his face, kinda like Avery Bradley.

Young DJ was just not close to being a good comparison for Marcus Smart.

What if late-prime DJ is the apt comparison? Celtics-era DJ.
So you want to compare Smart to a much older, slower, less athletic, less good defensively but better offensively player?

I'm confused now. Who's older and slower than who? Older DJ versus Younger DJ? Or older DJ vs. Smart? If the former, then yes. I ask if Smart is comparable to the very good Celtics-era DJ.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
If Smart can ever become an average shooter (seriously, just average) he can be a Draymond Green style all star.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If Smart can ever become an average shooter (seriously, just average) he can be a Draymond Green style all star.
I have adjusted hopes to as little as managing to shoot .400 on a regular basis.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Even then, what makes Dray great is that he is a PF/C who can defend three positions, stretch the floor, rebound well, and be a top-10 assist guy. I’m not sure what the equivalent for a guard would be.

Marcus is closer to Eric Snow than Dray, DJ, or any other recent All-Star.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Even then, what makes Dray great is that he is a PF/C who can defend three positions, stretch the floor, rebound well, and be a top-10 assist guy. I’m not sure what the equivalent for a guard would be.

I would say Smart's ability to guard 3-4 positions, lead the team in assists from the bench, box out almost anyone in the league effectively, raise his game in the clutch and be a leader means that adding a consistently average shooting touch would put his value in the Draymond range.

It would, for me, at least.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Tp and this.  Marcus currently is a very solid player with intangibles which is why we'll see him at end of games.  At this point in his young career though he needs to step up his offensive scoring to be ANYWHERE near DJ.  The main comparison is DJ wasn't a good/great shooter until crunch time, played great defense and could pass and rebound.  MS is a bad shooter until crunch time then he improves , plays great defense can pass and rebound.  I'm worried the last 4/5 games that Marcus looks to have lost his confidence in his own shot.  He is looking like he might end up an Eric Snow or Alvin Robertson quality guard.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I wonder if "Carmelo" ever saw DJ play?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsde01.html

One can easily see that Dennis was a better shooter and scorer.  DJ was a career 45% FG shooter and 14 PPG average.  I seen DJ live and Smart live and I think Smart is a better defender than DJ but DJ was a more complete player.
I wish to echo this post. I have seen both play and the above is a good description.

Plus, on the article, it says smart is similar to Gus Williams,whom I also watch play. Ha! Gus was a poor defense very good offense type of guard. Not like smart much at all.

Totally agree.  The Wizard was an offensive fire spark more akin to Isaiah Thomas than to Marcus Smart.  I grew up watching those Sonics teams and I'm sorry, I just don't see all that much resemblance between Smart and either DJ or Gus.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
So I guess most in this thread never saw DJ play in Seattle and don't realize just how different their style of play is. Early DJ was an athletic freak, slasher, high flying dunker. He scored in much different ways than Smart and was more efficient. Also, DJ didn't even defend like Smart in those younger days. Smart uses his strength to bulldog people. DJ used his speed and lateral quickness to bother the defender up in his face, kinda like Avery Bradley.

Young DJ was just not close to being a good comparison for Marcus Smart.

I totally agree. Young DJ was freakishly explosive.  He elevated like he was defying gravity.  He could turn and explode to the hoop the moment the defense showed the slightest look at the rim.  He was constantly getting to the FT line because defenders couldn't deal with his speed.  As a freaking rookie -- rookie -- he lead the entire NBA playoffs in free throw attempts.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
how about Ben Wallace? very gifted defensive player but below average offensive player? can defend multiple positions

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Wow, what an insult to DJ.