Author Topic: Celtics (22-4) at Spurs (17-8) Game #27 12/8/17  (Read 35163 times)

Re: Celtics (22-4) at Spurs (17-8) Game #27 12/8/17
« Reply #570 on: December 09, 2017, 12:35:08 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The sky is falling!!!  ::) ::) ::)

I'm going to bed ...  :) :) :) :)

« Reply #571 on: December 09, 2017, 12:39:27 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
There'll be another game. Goodnight.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #572 on: December 09, 2017, 12:44:49 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
It always amazes me how many people here criticize Brad, as if when they sat down with him, he wouldn't have great answers to the things he does wrong.

We literally have a consensus top 5 coach, really top 3, and people here act like they know things he doesn't.

Yeah, no one can stop anybody from criticizing him, but to act as if the reasons he does the things he does are wrong, and yours are right.

Come on now.

« Reply #573 on: December 09, 2017, 01:00:36 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, no one can stop anybody from criticizing him, but to act as if the reasons he does the things he does are wrong, and yours are right.
I can promise you that sometimes even Brad Stevens is wrong :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #574 on: December 09, 2017, 01:02:04 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
It always amazes me how many people here criticize Brad, as if when they sat down with him, he wouldn't have great answers to the things he does wrong.

We literally have a consensus top 5 coach, really top 3, and people here act like they know things he doesn't.

Come on now.

This logic has always been so poor and fundamentally flawed. It's literally the "appeal to authority fallacy" applied to Brad, i.e. it's not a sound argument by the very laws of deductive logic.

You can cover your eyes to Brad's (few) faults all you want, but don't chastise others for not subscribing to that fatalistic philosophy of blind agreement.

Saying that he has faults that he needs to work on is not inconsistent with also thinking he's an elite coach. He's clearly an elite coach, but he has certain flaws like every coach does. It's just that some of his flaws show up more prominently in some games more than others, like tonight.

« Reply #575 on: December 09, 2017, 01:18:12 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Aldridge made Horford look like a chump all night long, and then Al didn't do jack squat on offense.

Ginobili hits two (essentially halfcourt) heaves.

Celtics got killed on the glass like Game 7 of the 2010 Finals (complete with Pau Gasol still sticking it to us).

Great work.

Nice melt. We're 22-5.

Relax.

LOL does not make him wrong. the p;rocess was crap tonight in many ways. many positives also.

Thank you. So tired of the "there's no room for criticism" crowd.

I'm more than happy for constructive criticism. I didn't think "al got owned and played a crap game", a reference to the 2010 finals, and finishing the post with "great work" was particularly constructive at all. It sounded like a good old fashioned melt to me. This forum is rife with posts after losses that end up looking ridiculous after a deep breath.

The team is 22-5, Im not about to begin with "great work, losers" after they lose an away game to a good basketball team.

The rational part of me knows you're right. The emotional part of me thinks, "Why is it asking too much to be allowed to vent? Why is cynicism frowned upon but rampant optimism is peachy?"

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #576 on: December 09, 2017, 01:19:15 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Come on now.

This logic has always been so poor and fundamentally flawed. It's literally the "appeal to authority fallacy" applied to Brad, i.e. it's not a sound argument by the very laws of deductive logic.

You can cover your eyes to Brad's (few) faults all you want, but don't chastise others for not subscribing to that fatalistic philosophy of blind agreement.

Saying that he has faults that he needs to work on is not inconsistent with also thinking he's an elite coach. He's clearly an elite coach, but he has certain flaws like every coach does. It's just that some of his flaws show up more prominently in some games more than others, like tonight.

Again, I think it is just wild to expect perfection, so I don't get that viewpoint.

Hypothetically, if a guy does something extremely well 95 times out of 100, I don't get trying to harp on the 5 times he doesn't.

I know that's what these boards are for, but anything you say he did wrong, don't you think he has a good reason for why he did it?

Do you think, if you sat down with him and said, I think you are doing x y and z wrong, he wouldn't have great reasons for doing what he does?

« Reply #577 on: December 09, 2017, 01:21:24 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I tend not be concerned about coaching, specifically in game adjustments.  Brad probably wants to keep things consistent, but also, certain schemes often get saved for the playoffs.

My only qualms with Brad have been his regular season rotations and substitution patterns.  Our bench just loses so many leads.  I've just never understood why he doesn't stagger the starters' minutes more.

« Reply #578 on: December 09, 2017, 01:35:54 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I tend not be concerned about coaching, specifically in game adjustments.  Brad probably wants to keep things consistent, but also, certain schemes often get saved for the playoffs.

My only qualms with Brad have been his regular season rotations and substitution patterns.  Our bench just loses so many leads.  I've just never understood why he doesn't stagger the starters' minutes more.
I guess that's the price you pay for  trying to keep everyone under 33 minutes. Let's just hope there's some actual benefit from this down the road.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #579 on: December 09, 2017, 01:58:44 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The silver lining is the cavs lost tonight so it equalized our loss. They're are only threat to the #1 seed if we're honest

We can't win em all.

« Reply #580 on: December 09, 2017, 02:39:44 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Welp, I think I'm glad I missed this one.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #581 on: December 09, 2017, 06:24:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I guess that's the price you pay for  trying to keep everyone under 33 minutes. Let's just hope there's some actual benefit from this down the road.

Agree.   Sometimes it almost feels that we are playing platoon ball with the switches and our second platoom sometimes does not contribute much to the scoring.

« Reply #582 on: December 09, 2017, 06:26:15 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
I don't like to talk about officiating (soccer in Spain is ideal for that), but I have the impression that with the Spurs there are always some calls very difficult to understand.

Pop is very clever. He gave up a tech at the beginning of the game with the idea of setting up his territory and trying to infer the idea in the refs themselves of bad calls against him.

« Reply #583 on: December 09, 2017, 08:27:05 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The silver lining is the cavs lost tonight so it equalized our loss. They're are only threat to the #1 seed if we're honest

We can't win em all.

Don't look now, but the Raptors only have 7 losses. While they have only played 23 games to our 27 and are  still several wins behind us, they are quietly on a 5-game winning streak and are playing really great ball right now.

« Reply #584 on: December 09, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I was not a fan of the smaller lineup last night to end the game.