Author Topic: Celtics (22-4) at Spurs (17-8) Game #27 12/8/17  (Read 35541 times)

Re: Celtics (22-4) at Spurs (17-8) Game #27 12/8/17
« Reply #540 on: December 09, 2017, 12:05:51 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
A lot of moral victories to be had here...but a dub would've been great.

Bench shot 2-20 from 3, Horford got sonned on both ends of the floor, refs were dogging Marcus Smart all game long, Manu still got clutch genes, etc.

« Reply #541 on: December 09, 2017, 12:06:32 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Against the bigger, talented centers Horford isn't big enough. Baynes not coming back hurt too.

did they ever say what happened to Baynes?  At first I thought he got kicked in the groin-man-area, but during the replay it didn't look like that.

Took a shot to the stomach accoring to the sideline report.

« Reply #542 on: December 09, 2017, 12:07:03 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Against the bigger, talented centers Horford isn't big enough. Baynes not coming back hurt too.
The sad part? He's not even all that big, or even really a center.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #543 on: December 09, 2017, 12:07:47 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
CBS decision to allow Kyrie to do his thing looks better when Kyrie makes shots.

CBS decision to keep the post one on one kept the Spurs from making 3s and going on runs.

I know it defies the conventional logic of 90s basketball, but the stats bear out that many times, good players are better against unset defenses. The stats also bear out that a tough fall-away 2 is a worse shot than an open 3, even if the guy is hot.

« Reply #544 on: December 09, 2017, 12:08:16 AM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78

did they ever say what happened to Baynes?  At first I thought he got kicked in the groin-man-area, but during the replay it didn't look like that.

Baynes is no longer built like all of Australia.  Now he's now more New Zealand size.  ;)

« Reply #545 on: December 09, 2017, 12:08:30 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Once again, practice proves that when Brad's preconceived gameplan falls apart, he really has no idea how to actually coach during the game. It's extremely frustrating to watch.
jesus christ koz, do you ever shut up on this single point? "no idea how to actually coach?" this is the sort of statement that undermines so much of what you say about stevens. you really do let your personal agenda interfere with you otherwise good basketball analyses.

just give it a rest.
So you think that when your big man is getting killed in isolation, and your star PG is jacking long contested threes, the correct coaching approach is to do nothing and keep your fingers crossed that they'll snap out of it? Well, congratulations, it didn't really work.

I'd be happy to give it a rest, but unfortunately he just keeps doing it.

Hate to agree with the super negative version of Koz here, but he's spot on with this. This has been one of Stevens' few flaws during his entire tenure in Boston. He simply struggles to make certain in-game adjustments with his rotation, gameplan, and play-calling.

Tonight was just yet another example of this unfolding. It certainly wasn't the only reason we lost, but it definitely played a part.

« Reply #546 on: December 09, 2017, 12:09:23 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Aldridge made Horford look like a chump all night long, and then Al didn't do jack squat on offense.

Ginobili hits two (essentially halfcourt) heaves.

Celtics got killed on the glass like Game 7 of the 2010 Finals (complete with Pau Gasol still sticking it to us).

Great work.

Nice melt. We're 22-5.

Relax.

There's always someone who has to say something like this. Like, it's wrong for me to be upset? I don't care if they'd been 26-0 coming into this game; they had a really good chance to beat a very good team on the road, and they screwed it up.

But I guess I can't be upset about a loss unless it's an elimination game in the playoffs, according to some people.

take away our 17 game win streak and we are 5-5!

we need to be winning 3 outta every 4 moving forward and stay out losing streaks. now we did win what? 4 straight before this one? ok time for another streak.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #547 on: December 09, 2017, 12:10:07 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Aldridge made Horford look like a chump all night long, and then Al didn't do jack squat on offense.

Celtics got killed on the glass like Game 7 of the 2010 Finals (complete with Pau Gasol still sticking it to us).

Great work.

Nice melt. We're 22-5.

Relax.

LOL does not make him wrong. the p;rocess was crap tonight in many ways. many positives also.

Thank you. So tired of the "there's no room for criticism" crowd.

I'm more than happy for constructive criticism. I didn't think "al got owned and played a crap game", a reference to the 2010 finals, and finishing the post with "great work" was particularly constructive at all. It sounded like a good old fashioned melt to me. This forum is rife with posts after losses that end up looking ridiculous after a deep breath.

The team is 22-5, Im not about to begin with "great work, losers" after they lose an away game to a good basketball team.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #548 on: December 09, 2017, 12:11:42 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm gonna trust one of the most brilliant minds at coaching basketball, the 100s of hours of scouting his staff does, and the in-person decision-making of the coach of the year before I side with forum lurkers.

No offense to us, but seriously, forum coach much?

CBS made the right decisions tonight, but those decisions look wrong when guys miss shots, or when the ball doesn't bounce our way.

« Reply #549 on: December 09, 2017, 12:12:03 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Great work.

Nice melt. We're 22-5.

Relax.

There's always someone who has to say something like this. Like, it's wrong for me to be upset? I don't care if they'd been 26-0 coming into this game; they had a really good chance to beat a very good team on the road, and they screwed it up.

But I guess I can't be upset about a loss unless it's an elimination game in the playoffs, according to some people.

take away our 17 game win streak and we are 5-5!

we need to be winning 3 outta every 4 moving forward and stay out losing streaks. now we did win what? 4 straight before this one? ok time for another streak.
yeah, but if you take out the losses the celtics are undefeated!!!!!!!!!!!  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #550 on: December 09, 2017, 12:12:58 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Once again, practice proves that when Brad's preconceived gameplan falls apart, he really has no idea how to actually coach during the game. It's extremely frustrating to watch.
jesus christ koz, do you ever shut up on this single point? "no idea how to actually coach?" this is the sort of statement that undermines so much of what you say about stevens. you really do let your personal agenda interfere with you otherwise good basketball analyses.

just give it a rest.
So you think that when your big man is getting killed in isolation, and your star PG is jacking long contested threes, the correct coaching approach is to do nothing and keep your fingers crossed that they'll snap out of it? Well, congratulations, it didn't really work.

Hate to agree with the super negative version of Koz here, but he's spot on with this. This has been one of Stevens' few flaws during his entire tenure in Boston. He simply struggles to make certain in-game adjustments with his rotation, gameplan, and play-calling.

Tonight was just yet another example of this unfolding. It certainly wasn't the only reason we lost, but it definitely played a part.
That's just the negative version. The super negative will come when I start complaining about leaving Rozier in too long at the start of the 4th. :P

Stevens has been doing a lot of things right (you just have to when you're winning so many games), but sometimes he just doesn't look like he has an idea how to adjust in-game.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #551 on: December 09, 2017, 12:13:44 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
We didn't make open shots, and we didn't rebound the basketball, therefore we didnt deserve to win this one.

Simple as that. Onto the next.

They have to be ready to box their man out if a shooting big man is dragging our center out of the key, or Brad needs to be ready to play another big.

That manu 3 doesn't exist if we just grab the rebound.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #552 on: December 09, 2017, 12:13:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

just give it a rest.

That's just the negative version. The super negative will come when I start complaining about leaving Rozier in too long at the start of the 4th. :P

Stevens has been doing a lot of things right (you just have to when you're winning so many games), but sometimes he just doesn't look like he has an idea how to adjust in-game.
reasonable post koz, thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #553 on: December 09, 2017, 12:13:57 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Why not let Tatum be the man sometimes?

He just keeps making big shots but cbs doesnt let him finish the game

Tatum hits the big three... Go back to him cbs/kyrie
He will be - sooner rather than later - but no need for him to do that just yet.

Why not?? Tell me a good reason
I think they're letting him grow into the role - plus the team is still trying to establish its identify despite it's record.  Kyrie is the default #1 option right now - and maybe they're also trying to manage the kid's ego. 

Eventually they're going to have 3 closers on the court at the same time so they're going to have to figure that out.  Tatum will be one of them.  i would also expect that they'll start making him option 1A the 2nd half of this season.

« Reply #554 on: December 09, 2017, 12:15:24 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We need a tall guy to help Horford... Smart plays bad... give the ball to the youngsters... I do not mind losing to spurs... they are good... but I did not like the 3 3pointers irving took in the end.. too predictable