Author Topic: Okafor to the Nets  (Read 8945 times)

Re: Okafor to the Nets
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Booker is an ok bench big, but how exactly is he going to be in the rotation.  He isn't playing over Embiid, Simmons, Saric, or Holmes, so I don't get it.

I like Okafor, think he has potential, and Stauskas was strangely out of the rotation this year after playing pretty well for the Sixers last year, but that is still a terrible trade for the Sixers. Nets make out like bandits in this trade, just like they did in the Russell trade.  It appears the Nets finally have people running things that know what they are doing.
So far Embiid isn't playing back to backs and they have three B2Bs this months so that could give Booker some minutes.  I'll be interested to see what the Sixers do with the open roster spot this creates. 

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 07:18:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Jeez, they only just got rid of Brook Lopez. Now they want another one?

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
for all their tanking, the 76ers have had their share of lottery picks they have shipped out of town.

okafor - gone
nerlens noel - gone
michael carter williams - gone

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 07:27:53 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
@ZachLowe_NBA
1m1 minute ago

Philly will send Okafor, Nik Stauskas, and a second-round pick to Brooklyn for Trevor Booker, sources say.

Argh, what a terrible trade... Could we seriously not beat that offer at all..?

I believe it was reported earlier in the okafor fiasco that Philly refused to send okafor to an eastern conference rival.

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 09:02:26 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
@ZachLowe_NBA
1m1 minute ago

Philly will send Okafor, Nik Stauskas, and a second-round pick to Brooklyn for Trevor Booker, sources say.

Okafor stinks. We definitely could have beaten the offer, but why would we have wanted to?

Just remember how even Amir looked good with Stevens around him and you'll now that Okafor could as well.
I actually started to watch all players in a different way since CBS era started. There is just no player (with some sort of value) to whom this man -Brad Stevens- won't find a role in a team. There's a long list: J.Crawford, Jerebko, Turner, Crowder, Thomas, Bradley, Olynyk, Amir,...   

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Jeez, they only just got rid of Brook Lopez. Now they want another one?

That's not really a fair comparison.

Lopez can shoot from distance.

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 09:49:29 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What a great trade for the Nets. Booker has been good for them, but not as good as people seem to think. They have Carroll. RHJ, and Lavert who all need minutes. Each of those guys can play small-ball 4 in their uptempo gunner offense.

Booker slid over to the 5 often, but he was just as undersized there as the other guys I just mentioned.

The Nets are doing exactly what they need to do as an organization. They have a really good coach that is changing their culture. They have versatile athletes on the wing. Now they have two lottery talents at 1 and 5 who are both really talented offensive forces.

I'll be fascinated to see how Atkins forms a scheme around those guys, especially defensively, but this is a respectable team. If Okafor comes in with something to prove, and the Nets organization inspires confidence in him, this is a team that will flirt with the 8 seed all season. I think they are right there with the Heat and Knicks, primarily because of their coach.

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Just remember how even Amir looked good with Stevens around him and you'll now that Okafor could as well.
Amir looked good because Amir was good... for a year or so. How did James Young look?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
And here is today’s Kyrie trade update.

If the season ended today, the Nets would have the 10th worst record. Things can certainly change, but that is a far cry from what some people were expecting – a clear shot at one of the top picks.  Maybe Danny could see better than a lot of the commenting critics with the Nets were going to be. 

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I wanted him but did not want to give up much.  Maybe no one in our top 10....  I was hoping to get him for a 2nd round pick or 2.

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
@ZachLowe_NBA
1m1 minute ago

I assume you are kidding. A second round top-55 protected could have beaten that.

I like this trade for the Nets, it makes sense and I don't think it has to worsen them even short term.

I was not.

We could've, but it's sad to me that we clearly didn't want to.

I've learned to trust Ainge no matter the consequences or sequential results.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
What a great trade for the Nets. Booker has been good for them, but not as good as people seem to think. They have Carroll. RHJ, and Lavert who all need minutes. Each of those guys can play small-ball 4 in their uptempo gunner offense.

Booker slid over to the 5 often, but he was just as undersized there as the other guys I just mentioned.

The Nets are doing exactly what they need to do as an organization. They have a really good coach that is changing their culture. They have versatile athletes on the wing. Now they have two lottery talents at 1 and 5 who are both really talented offensive forces.

I'll be fascinated to see how Atkins forms a scheme around those guys, especially defensively, but this is a respectable team. If Okafor comes in with something to prove, and the Nets organization inspires confidence in him, this is a team that will flirt with the 8 seed all season. I think they are right there with the Heat and Knicks, primarily because of their coach.
Okafor's a lottery talent like Anthony Bennett and Darko Milicic are 'lottery' talents.  it's in position only, certainly not based on performance.

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 11:30:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Okafor's a lottery talent like Anthony Bennett and Darko Milicic are 'lottery' talents.  it's in position only, certainly not based on performance.

Without any actual high draft picks, can you think of a better way for a team to roll the dice and find building blocks?   

It is a good move by the Nets.  Low cost chance to get a potential starting big man on a good team.

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 12:18:49 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Just as a reminder, neither Bennett nor Milicic ever averaged 17.5 ppg and 7 rpg in just 30 mpg.

In fact, few rookies have done that in the last years.

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Booker is an ok bench big, but how exactly is he going to be in the rotation.  He isn't playing over Embiid, Simmons, Saric, or Holmes, so I don't get it.

I like Okafor, think he has potential, and Stauskas was strangely out of the rotation this year after playing pretty well for the Sixers last year, but that is still a terrible trade for the Sixers. Nets make out like bandits in this trade, just like they did in the Russell trade.  It appears the Nets finally have people running things that know what they are doing.
So far Embiid isn't playing back to backs and they have three B2Bs this months so that could give Booker some minutes.  I'll be interested to see what the Sixers do with the open roster spot this creates.
That is what Amir Johnson is for, who I didn't even mention.  Booker is the 6th big in Philly (just like Okafor was).  Booker is a better fit for the Sixers than Okafor was, but he is still way down the totem pole.  It was a bad trade for the Sixers.  They were better off just cutting him then dumping him, Stauskas, and a 2nd rounder for a 6th big.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip