Author Topic: Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery  (Read 12902 times)

Re: Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, why even play any games at all? Or at the very least, just sit Irving, Hayward, Horford, Brown, Tatum, etc until a year or two when we might be able to compete. No need to waste anybody’s energy or time with actually trying to win basketball games now - just seems foolish... ::)
No need to take it to such an extreme or call my POV foolish. So I am not as bullish on this team as presently constructed or because of the amount of inexperienced youth. So I think we are one more year away from being a legitimate contender. Nothing wrong with that.

I didn't mean it that way - 'foolish' was in relation to sarcastically resting our players, not anything to do with your post.

It's just that you so matter-of-factly stated that we have no chance of getting past Cleveland in the ECF, nevermind competing in the Finals. There is a reason they play the games in the NBA and, as CClay stated, we are one of the top teams in the whole league and are slated to get a good player with the DPE, possibly another Vet Min signing, and [of course] a decent possibility we get our max All-Star back before the playoffs.

A lot of people watch every game and/or even have season tickets - let's just have a little more of an open mind with how things could turn out.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:14:48 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Yeah, why even play any games at all? Or at the very least, just sit Irving, Hayward, Horford, Brown, Tatum, etc until a year or two when we might be able to compete. No need to waste anybody’s energy or time with actually trying to win basketball games now - just seems foolish... ::)
No need to take it to such an extreme or call my POV foolish. So I am not as bullish on this team as presently constructed or because of the amount of inexperienced youth. So I think we are one more year away from being a legitimate contender. Nothing wrong with that.

I didn't mean it that way - 'foolish' was in relation to sarcastically resting our players, not anything to do with your post.

It's just that you so matter-of-factly stated that we have no chance of getting past Cleveland in the ECF, nevermind competing in the Finals. There is a reason they play the games in the NBA and, as CClay stated, we are one of the top teams in the whole league and are slated to get a good player with the DPE, possibly another Vet Min signing, and [of course] a decent possibility we get our max All-Star back before the playoffs.

A lot of people watch every game and/or even have season tickets - let's just have a little more of an open mind with how things could turn out.

I really can't understand how people can say we won't win anything this year when we are the second likeliest finals matchup in the entire league according to Vegas... What would your feelings be if we were the hawks, knicks or magic?

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I really can't understand how people can say we won't win anything this year when we are the second likeliest finals matchup in the entire league according to Vegas... What would your feelings be if we were the hawks, knicks or magic?

Clay, I'm with you.  I think a lot of fans are keeping their feelings measured/protected, so that if we lose in conference finals to Cavs, they won't be too disappointed.  While I agree with them that the Cavs should be favored against us, especially after Thompson and IT return, it is not at all out of the realm of possibility that we can beat them. As for the Warriors, we just beat them on our home court, and did not play that well. Why is it so far fetched that we can make it a very good series vs. them?  Frankly, I feel we match up better against them than we do against the Cavs.

Biggest issue for us right now is the uncertainty concerning Morris' return. If he is done for the season (have not heard that he is, but you have to start wondering), it will be very, very tough to play the Cavs competitively.

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Clay, I'm with you.  I think a lot of fans are keeping their feelings measured/protected, so that if we lose in conference finals to Cavs, they won't be too disappointed.  While I agree with them that the Cavs should be favored against us, especially after Thompson and IT return, it is not at all out of the realm of possibility that we can beat them. As for the Warriors, we just beat them on our home court, and did not play that well. Why is it so far fetched that we can make it a very good series vs. them?  Frankly, I feel we match up better against them than we do against the Cavs.

Biggest issue for us right now is the uncertainty concerning Morris' return. If he is done for the season (have not heard that he is, but you have to start wondering), it will be very, very tough to play the Cavs competitively.

I think we will add a body or two at the trade deadline though too. I feel like some are acting like that is not happening even thought we have done it almost every season. (do people already forget the people we added each trade deadline through buyouts during the big 3?, most of those teams had a lot worse record than we will this year.

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I think we will add a body or two at the trade deadline though too. I feel like some are acting like that is not happening even thought we have done it almost every season. (do people already forget the people we added each trade deadline through buyouts during the big 3?, most of those teams had a lot worse record than we will this year.
Here's my thing.  I say do what we can to get as far as we can.  I mean, I would love to get to the finals and be center stage.  I think we CAN get past Cleveland and would do what is necessary to give us the biggest shot.

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well at least Gordon is out of the boot!  Hoping he has a speedy and full recovery.  I'm sure he has been itching to play after seeing how well we have done without him.  But a healthy Hayward would make us stronger for sure.  The Celtics could run the Eastern version of lineup of death with Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford.

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
we are certainly ahead of schedule...even without hayward. before the season I think everyone kind of viewed this as a growing year. but the unexpected growth of Jaylen brown and the poise of Tatum has allowed us to beat those expectations.

the real year I think we can go to the finals is next season with tatum/brown having another year of development/returning hayward....and the cavs just getting older

I think there is a strong possibility hayward comes back this year, but I am not sure he will be all-star hayward yet, but he HAS to be an improvement over smart/rozier

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2017, 12:24:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
News today:

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/19/gordon-hayward-return-nba-playoffs-danny-ainge-boston-celtics/

Ainge: "Hayward had an amazing workout today."
Hayward continues to ramp up his rehab program

Q: could he come back for the post season?"
Ainge: "[Gordon] didn't rule it out... But were not putting any pressure. he's coming along quickly."

Ainge said that he doesn’t know about how much the Celtics would need to see out of him to bring him back on the court in a game this year, but it would require a multitude of play behind the scenes to bring him out for the real thing.

“It all depends and obviously, he’ll need a long time on the court and many practices before he would even consider playing in a game.”

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2017, 01:07:29 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
News today:

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/19/gordon-hayward-return-nba-playoffs-danny-ainge-boston-celtics/

Ainge: "[Gordon] didn't rule it out... But were not putting any pressure. he's coming along quickly."

Ainge said that he doesn’t know about how much the Celtics would need to see out of him to bring him back on the court in a game this year, but it would require a multitude of play behind the scenes to bring him out for the real thing.

“It all depends and obviously, he’ll need a long time on the court and many practices before he would even consider playing in a game.”
Those words, coming from Ainge, are the best news we've had so far about Hayward. Ainge is very careful with his words and managing the expectations of both the press and the fanbase. He honestly sounds like a highly optimistic fan in that article and he has intimate knowledge related to Hayward's recovery. Certainly this should mean that Hayward's ankle has responded well, to date, since the boot has been taken off and that that means they have been able to progress him as quickly as they could have hoped.

Obviously, this could change if he were to start experience pain, discomfort or swelling. The course of treatment would shift to a more conservative approach and would be more likely to experience those things again in the future.

But the human body is really incredible and when it's not held back barriers (i.e. lack of, or low quality, treatment) or set backs (swelling, nerve damage, joint damage) it can recover very quickly. Conditioning will be aided by his years of muscle memory and hard work. He seems like someone who has always taken care of nutrition and well-being.

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2017, 01:54:43 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
News today:

Those words, coming from Ainge, are the best news we've had so far about Hayward. Ainge is very careful with his words and managing the expectations of both the press and the fanbase. He honestly sounds like a highly optimistic fan in that article and he has intimate knowledge related to Hayward's recovery. Certainly this should mean that Hayward's ankle has responded well, to date, since the boot has been taken off and that that means they have been able to progress him as quickly as they could have hoped.

Obviously, this could change if he were to start experience pain, discomfort or swelling. The course of treatment would shift to a more conservative approach and would be more likely to experience those things again in the future.

But the human body is really incredible and when it's not held back barriers (i.e. lack of, or low quality, treatment) or set backs (swelling, nerve damage, joint damage) it can recover very quickly. Conditioning will be aided by his years of muscle memory and hard work. He seems like someone who has always taken care of nutrition and well-being.
yup 100% agree. We keep hearing fast progression on Hayward. He's literally working out now. Ainge seems to have a cautious but "edited to see what happens" type of tone

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2017, 03:37:42 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
"Amazing Workout"...could mean a few things...stationary bike?...bench presses?
Highly doubt he's doing any running yet.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2017, 08:00:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I worry about him regaining his lateral speed after an injury like that.   Sounds like he is determined to beat the odds and come back stronger.   My hat is off to him.

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2017, 08:35:49 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
"Amazing Workout"...could mean a few things...stationary bike?...bench presses?
Highly doubt he's doing any running yet.
Dec 14
Danny Ainge said on @985TheSportsHub Gordon Hayward's doing "full body strength training" and working the ankle, calf, and muscles around the injured area. He's doing 4-5 hours of rehab every day.

Dec 15
https://twitter.com/Scott_Souza/status/941826423156719616

My mind is open to the idea of returning this season
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:26:18 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2017, 12:28:23 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Dec20

Hayward does yet another interview, a "must read for Celtics fans"
https://t.co/DdeZe3XCpu

-According to plan, He is still wearing the post-boot brace that was planned for 2 weeks after the boot is off.
-he has a sports psychologist to help along the way

When the Celtics are on the road, Ainge sits next to Hayward in the weight room at the club’s headquarters in Waltham, distracting him from monotonous calf raises. “What do you think of the adjustment we made last night?” he asks, the day after a win in Detroit, atoning for a loss to the Pistons two weeks earlier. “Andre Drummond had 20 and 20 last time,” Hayward replies. “So we packed it in the paint, dared them to shoot, and they couldn’t throw it in the ocean. Maybe it caught them off guard.” When the Celtics are home, head coach Brad Stevens spells Ainge. Even though a flight from Chicago landed at 4:45 a.m., Stevens was at the facility by 11, ensuring he would overlap with Hayward.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:39:57 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Just no more alleyhoops when GH comes back...I remember GH doing a lot of backdoor alleyhoops with Utah and there are moments when he really does take too much risks in doing them...and it finally came and im not surprised that it was at the hands of Crowder and the Cavs..like they totally wanted for GH to have a bad fall though they probably didnt expect him to have a greusome injury.