Author Topic: Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery  (Read 13002 times)

Re: Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2017, 04:46:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think what's best for Hayward -- probably returning next season -- is what's best for the Celtics.  We're not beating GSW in a 7 game series, so rushing him back for essentially nothing more than risk of further complications doesn't make sense to me.
Well if the medical staff determine he is in good enough shape to not have to worry about causing complications with the injury, then he should play. But otherwise, I agree. We aren't winning anything this year, especially with the bench constructed like it is. Let Gordon get back into fantastic shape, practice with the team this summer and get going next year with a more experienced and possibly reconstructed bench.

Wait so you are 100% confident a team that has the second best record in basketball and has an open roster space to add a piece or two at the deadline "isn't winning anything" even if we add an all-star for the playoffs?
Yup. GSW is just too good and we simply aren't better than Cleveland, especially with a healthy IT. And, I don't expect Hayward to return at All-Star quality if he returns this year. We might and hopefully make the ECF but we aren't going any farther than that.

Yeah, why even play any games at all? Or at the very least, just sit Irving, Hayward, Horford, Brown, Tatum, etc until a year or two when we might be able to compete. No need to waste anybody’s energy or time with actually trying to win basketball games now - just seems foolish... ::)
No need to take it to such an extreme or call my POV foolish. So I am not as bullish on this team as presently constructed or because of the amount of inexperienced youth. So I think we are one more year away from being a legitimate contender. Nothing wrong with that.

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2017, 04:51:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think what's best for Hayward -- probably returning next season -- is what's best for the Celtics.  We're not beating GSW in a 7 game series, so rushing him back for essentially nothing more than risk of further complications doesn't make sense to me.
Well if the medical staff determine he is in good enough shape to not have to worry about causing complications with the injury, then he should play. But otherwise, I agree. We aren't winning anything this year, especially with the bench constructed like it is. Let Gordon get back into fantastic shape, practice with the team this summer and get going next year with a more experienced and possibly reconstructed bench.

Wait so you are 100% confident a team that has the second best record in basketball and has an open roster space to add a piece or two at the deadline "isn't winning anything" even if we add an all-star for the playoffs?
Yup. GSW is just too good and we simply aren't better than Cleveland, especially with a healthy IT. And, I don't expect Hayward to return at All-Star quality if he returns this year. We might and hopefully make the ECF but we aren't going any farther than that.

Yeah, why even play any games at all? Or at the very least, just sit Irving, Hayward, Horford, Brown, Tatum, etc until a year or two when we might be able to compete. No need to waste anybody’s energy or time with actually trying to win basketball games now - just seems foolish... ::)
No need to take it to such an extreme or call my POV foolish. So I am not as bullish on this team as presently constructed or because of the amount of inexperienced youth. So I think we are one more year away from being a legitimate contender. Nothing wrong with that.

Right, I feel the exact same way.  And as of now, we appear to be the team in the best position to contend for many years to come.  Couldn't have a brighter future, it's just not quite our time. But this season is also an incredible opportunity for Jaylen and Jason to develop.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Well, as we all know too well, dating back to the great teams of the 80's, that injuries happen and sometimes to more than one key player. There's no guarantee that GSW are going to be healthy all season. Curry is out now and who knows what can happen at any time. That's why they play the games. If Curry or Durant get injured do we still have no shot? I think we do, especially if GH comes back, we stay healthy and we beat Cleveland in the ECF.

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
NBC Sports just posted a clip of Hayward out of the boot. Looks like he got cleared. Really happy for him. He must feel great

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Correct.  The fact of the matter is Hayward will always be at some risk for future injury.  But at some point that is low enough that playing in an NBA game is worth it.  It is possible that could be this year.

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2017, 05:08:32 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

Yeah, makes sense to me too.  Interesting side note--I've read that such an injury does not increase the risk of breaking the same bone again.  Seems hard to believe, but apparently true.  i wonder if the psychological aspects are the biggest hurdle to  optimal recovery.
Gotta think that the psychological aspect is the biggest hurdle to overcome. Bones heal permanently and become stronger after a break. Its the tendon tears and ripping from the bone that are most likely to set back injuries and from what I heard that wasn't a problem with Hayward.

His biggest issue will be that his calf has atrophied from non-use for 2 months. 

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
His biggest issue will be that his calf has atrophied from non-use for 2 months.

I honestly don’t think that’s a big deal. I only have anecdotal evidence, but the couple times I’ve been in a walking boot no serious atrophy happened after only 2 months.

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
NBC Sports just posted a clip of Hayward out of the boot. Looks like he got cleared. Really happy for him. He must feel great
the road to returning officially begins

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 05:18:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Right, I feel the exact same way.  And as of now, we appear to be the team in the best position to contend for many years to come.  Couldn't have a brighter future, it's just not quite our time. But this season is also an incredible opportunity for Jaylen and Jason to develop.

I agree with you guys that it would seem unlikely we beat Golden State, but we are definitely a top 5 team in the league and we have flexibility to fortify our bench at the trade deadline and with buyouts. I don't really get acting like Cleveland will clearly beat us, especially if we have Hayward back.

I know not everyone thinks this, but Cleveland's biggest problem is far and away defense and IT actually makes that a bigger problem for them. I also am very very confident that if we played them in a playoff series Stevens would exploit him on defense to the point that they would have to consider benching him and that is IF he can even get close to his athleticism prior to going 7 months without being in NBA action.

If you have a legit chance to get to the finals (which just about everyone has Boston Golden as the 2nd or third likeliest matchup), you don't act like you have no chance of winning the championship.

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2017, 05:18:56 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

Yeah, makes sense to me too.  Interesting side note--I've read that such an injury does not increase the risk of breaking the same bone again.  Seems hard to believe, but apparently true.  i wonder if the psychological aspects are the biggest hurdle to  optimal recovery.
Gotta think that the psychological aspect is the biggest hurdle to overcome. Bones heal permanently and become stronger after a break. Its the tendon tears and ripping from the bone that are most likely to set back injuries and from what I heard that wasn't a problem with Hayward.

yeah, the most common post injuries are muscle related, like a bad hammy or a calf or quad.
we can debate all year long but the fact is that the both sides will have to be convinced that he is ready in order for him to play. i'd say it's around 70:30 in favor of him not playing, aldo you can count me in for that 30. I think there is plenty of time for him to recover and get in shape.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

I honestly don’t think that’s a big deal. I only have anecdotal evidence, but the couple times I’ve been in a walking boot no serious atrophy happened after only 2 months.

Trust me, that will be his biggest issue.

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Well that depends, if they have been using NMES, (neuromuscular electrical simulation) Which would help with that. So then Ankle stiffness could be a big issue, and it's been reported that lateral movement will be the last thing to come out side mentally trusting his leg. Could have some atrophy in the leg since he hasn't been using it normally. While its more common for that kind of injury to have atrophy, it could be a number of things, all depends on his treatments, which he's going to have better than we would ever get.

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
he is young .   If he was 50 it would take twice as long

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Forsberg
Celtics forward Gordon Hayward did indeed get out of his waking boot today. No guarantee he stays out, depending on how his foot reacts, but he’s hopeful he’s done with it. Said Hayward: “Today has been awesome without the boot.”

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2017, 07:32:32 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Well that depends, if they have been using NMES, (neuromuscular electrical simulation) Which would help with that. So then Ankle stiffness could be a big issue, and it's been reported that lateral movement will be the last thing to come out side mentally trusting his leg. Could have some atrophy in the leg since he hasn't been using it normally. While its more common for that kind of injury to have atrophy, it could be a number of things, all depends on his treatments, which he's going to have better than we would ever get.

From the video his leg didn't appear smaller. Perhaps it is, but the difference isn't visibly apparent.