Author Topic: Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery  (Read 13033 times)

Re: Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2017, 09:44:21 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
Its really up to Hayward. ALl indications after the injury were it was a 5-6month injury that would put hayward right at that March date to be 100%

If he is 100% and MENTALLY wants to be on the court and play, then I see no reason not to ease him in with 15mpg to start getting acclimated back to the NBA.

it sounds like from Ainges interview Hayward is motivated to make his way back to the court

Ainge was early on the sleep-deprivation discussions and changing when the C’s held practice, etc.

I imagine he’ll have a psychiatrist work with Hayward on the mental part just as much as the trainers will work on the physical part.  He may have a little PTSD and working through that is probably high on Ainge’s to do list.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:30:15 PM by No Nickname »

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 01:42:40 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Boston sports tonight, 12/12 Michael Holley reports that Brad Stevens's said he may have his walking boot off this Wednesday :)

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 12:15:31 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
When George came back from a similar injury, he played 15 minutes a game in 6 games with 9 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal on 37, 41, 73 shooting percentages.

Expect a similar struggle. Getting feel and playing speed back takes time. That being said, I'd love to have him work his way back on the court. He'd still give us positive help.

Would have been interesting to see what would happen if the Pacers made the playoffs that year (and actually advanced), if George's minutes would have increased or not, especially in later rounds.

Pacers were 1.5 games behind the C's for the 8th seed when George came back and then went on to win 5 of their last 6.  Despite his lackluster stats, George definitely seemed to give the Pacers a boost.  Unfortunately for them, but lucky for us, the C's went on a 6 game winning streak to close the season so the Pacers couldn't gain any ground on Boston, and ended up losing the tie breaker with Brooklyn for the 8th seed.

And it's not like the Pacers would have been doomed to a LeBron sweep in the 1st round (as we got those honors instead), but would have faced a 60 win Atlanta team.  Pacers could have made some noise too, especially if George was able to step up a little more, a 38 win Brooklyn team took them to 6 games after all.
I mean, I would be pretty happy if Hayward could give us that stat line in his first six games.  Then I would expect him to get better the more games he played.

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He could lose the boot today:
https://t.co/Ms7f60vEqy

Anyone notice Gordon recovery news has picked up steadily recently? Wonder if he’s recovering quicker than expected 

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Get him back by late March or early April. Bench him and limit him for precautious reasons. Need him 100% for next season.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2017, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Get him back by late March or early April. Bench him and limit him for precautious reasons. Need him 100% for next season.
If we're thinking about next season then why bring him back at all?

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He could lose the boot today:
https://t.co/Ms7f60vEqy

Anyone notice Gordon recovery news has picked up steadily recently? Wonder if he’s recovering quicker than expected

Even if he is not recovering faster than planned, hopefully the reports are putting enough fear into teams like the Cavs to make a panic trade well before the deadline.

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 01:58:04 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think what's best for Hayward -- probably returning next season -- is what's best for the Celtics.  We're not beating GSW in a 7 game series, so rushing him back for essentially nothing more than risk of further complications doesn't make sense to me.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think what's best for Hayward -- probably returning next season -- is what's best for the Celtics.  We're not beating GSW in a 7 game series, so rushing him back for essentially nothing more than risk of further complications doesn't make sense to me.
Well if the medical staff determine he is in good enough shape to not have to worry about causing complications with the injury, then he should play. But otherwise, I agree. We aren't winning anything this year, especially with the bench constructed like it is. Let Gordon get back into fantastic shape, practice with the team this summer and get going next year with a more experienced and possibly reconstructed bench.

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Well if the medical staff determine he is in good enough shape to not have to worry about causing complications with the injury, then he should play. But otherwise, I agree. We aren't winning anything this year, especially with the bench constructed like it is. Let Gordon get back into fantastic shape, practice with the team this summer and get going next year with a more experienced and possibly reconstructed bench.

Yeah, makes sense to me too.  Interesting side note--I've read that such an injury does not increase the risk of breaking the same bone again.  Seems hard to believe, but apparently true.  i wonder if the psychological aspects are the biggest hurdle to  optimal recovery.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 02:54:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Yeah, makes sense to me too.  Interesting side note--I've read that such an injury does not increase the risk of breaking the same bone again.  Seems hard to believe, but apparently true.  i wonder if the psychological aspects are the biggest hurdle to  optimal recovery.
Gotta think that the psychological aspect is the biggest hurdle to overcome. Bones heal permanently and become stronger after a break. Its the tendon tears and ripping from the bone that are most likely to set back injuries and from what I heard that wasn't a problem with Hayward.

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Wait so you are 100% confident a team that has the second best record in basketball and has an open roster space to add a piece or two at the deadline "isn't winning anything" even if we add an all-star for the playoffs?

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 04:21:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Wait so you are 100% confident a team that has the second best record in basketball and has an open roster space to add a piece or two at the deadline "isn't winning anything" even if we add an all-star for the playoffs?
Yup. GSW is just too good and we simply aren't better than Cleveland, especially with a healthy IT. And, I don't expect Hayward to return at All-Star quality if he returns this year. We might and hopefully make the ECF but we aren't going any farther than that.

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 04:25:42 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
If we're thinking about next season then why bring him back at all?

I think having Hayward see the court this season, assuming he is 100% physically ready, would be a positive going into the off season and he would be better off for it next season.  That is not a reason to rush him back in any way but playing some I think would have tangible benefit to him.

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 04:38:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yup. GSW is just too good and we simply aren't better than Cleveland, especially with a healthy IT. And, I don't expect Hayward to return at All-Star quality if he returns this year. We might and hopefully make the ECF but we aren't going any farther than that.

Yeah, why even play any games at all? Or at the very least, just sit Irving, Hayward, Horford, Brown, Tatum, etc until a year or two when we might be able to compete. No need to waste anybody’s energy or time with actually trying to win basketball games now - just seems foolish... ::)