Author Topic: Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery  (Read 12936 times)

Re: Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 01:33:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I bet he will be back.

A third of the season gone and his team still with the league’s best record.  I’m sure he was already incredibly motivated to get back, but it’s a special season he doesn’t want to miss out on.  It’s a tough rehab, and the team’s success should help him get through the rough days.  There’s something worth coming back for as soon as possible.

Yeah, I mean, even if it's for only ~15 MPG or so for April/the playoffs, the team would LOVE to have him and he would want nothing more than to be a part of this surprising season.

When a player makes a decision as big as the one he made this past offseason, uprooting his family in the process, and only gets to play 5 minutes with his new team, I would imagine he would do everything possible to avoid waiting until October to play real basketball again.
If he comes back for the playoffs he should/will be restricted to those minutes, 15-20, off the bench and then maybe some crunch time minutes. He shouldn't rush it and I would make sure every doctor is on board with this before giving him a green light.

Why?  There should be no pre-ordained restriction.  If he can play 15 safely, then he should play 15.  But if he can play 25, then he should get those minutes.  If he can play even more, then so be it.

I don’t understand the desire for people here to put him on a minutes restriction just because.  Certainly the Celtics won’t ask him to do more than he’s able.  That would be foolish.  But next in line for foolishness is asking him to do less than he’s able.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Even if Hayward comes back for the playoffs, we can't expect him to play like a star. I'd just as soon he sit this one out.

That said, it's great news that a return is even on the table. The smoother the recovery, the less risk that his athleticism will suffer in the long run.
I don't think anyone is expecting a star.  But if he's healthy, and the risks are low, as long as he's better than the next guy then why not have him back?
Yes, he can have Semi's minutes.

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I bet he will be back.

A third of the season gone and his team still with the league’s best record.  I’m sure he was already incredibly motivated to get back, but it’s a special season he doesn’t want to miss out on.  It’s a tough rehab, and the team’s success should help him get through the rough days.  There’s something worth coming back for as soon as possible.

Yeah, I mean, even if it's for only ~15 MPG or so for April/the playoffs, the team would LOVE to have him and he would want nothing more than to be a part of this surprising season.

When a player makes a decision as big as the one he made this past offseason, uprooting his family in the process, and only gets to play 5 minutes with his new team, I would imagine he would do everything possible to avoid waiting until October to play real basketball again.
If he comes back for the playoffs he should/will be restricted to those minutes, 15-20, off the bench and then maybe some crunch time minutes. He shouldn't rush it and I would make sure every doctor is on board with this before giving him a green light.

Why?  There should be no pre-ordained restriction.  If he can play 15 safely, then he should play 15.  But if he can play 25, then he should get those minutes.  If he can play even more, then so be it.

I don’t understand the desire for people here to put him on a minutes restriction just because.  Certainly the Celtics won’t ask him to do more than he’s able.  That would be foolish.  But next in line for foolishness is asking him to do less than he’s able.
Only because he's had training camp for action since last year. Why push him, even if he gets himself in great shape? You see how they've brought Morris along slowly. I would expect the same for GH, especially if he comes back only for the playoffs. Expecting more is not realistic.
I guess we'll have to wait until we get more news on his recovery and timetable for return before discussing his minutes and how he should fit in or this is going to get stupid as you may expect his return in April while others may expect him only for the playoffs. I'm currently in the latter group.

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 01:41:09 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I hope his first game back is against Cleveland in the playoffs, and the first time he touches the ball, he drills a 3 in Crowder’s face.

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
His first game has to be game 7 nba finals vs warriors. He hits the game winning buzzer beater

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would just be happy with Gordon being in sweats with the rest of the bench guys waving towels and cheering his teammates on in the playoffs. Anything else will be ice cream on the cake.

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 02:14:20 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
His first game has to be game 7 nba finals vs warriors. He hits the game winning buzzer beater

and then pulls a Paul Pierce quote "THIS IS WHY I'M HERE!"

also redeem himself that Brad and him talk about all the time back when he missed the game winner in Butler

definitely gonna make it very sweet

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
When George came back from a similar injury, he played 15 minutes a game in 6 games with 9 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal on 37, 41, 73 shooting percentages.

Expect a similar struggle. Getting feel and playing speed back takes time. That being said, I'd love to have him work his way back on the court. He'd still give us positive help.

Would have been interesting to see what would happen if the Pacers made the playoffs that year (and actually advanced), if George's minutes would have increased or not, especially in later rounds.

Pacers were 1.5 games behind the C's for the 8th seed when George came back and then went on to win 5 of their last 6.  Despite his lackluster stats, George definitely seemed to give the Pacers a boost.  Unfortunately for them, but lucky for us, the C's went on a 6 game winning streak to close the season so the Pacers couldn't gain any ground on Boston, and ended up losing the tie breaker with Brooklyn for the 8th seed.

And it's not like the Pacers would have been doomed to a LeBron sweep in the 1st round (as we got those honors instead), but would have faced a 60 win Atlanta team.  Pacers could have made some noise too, especially if George was able to step up a little more, a 38 win Brooklyn team took them to 6 games after all.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:56:53 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
When George came back from a similar injury, he played 15 minutes a game in 6 games with 9 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal on 37, 41, 73 shooting percentages.

Expect a similar struggle. Getting feel and playing speed back takes time. That being said, I'd love to have him work his way back on the court. He'd still give us positive help.

Would have been interesting to see what would happen if the Pacers made the playoffs that year (and actually advanced), if George's minutes would have increased or not, especially in later rounds.

Pacers were 1.5 games behind the C's for the 8th seed when George came back and then went on to win 5 of their last 6.  Despite his lackluster stats, George definitely seemed to give the Pacers a boost.  Unfortunately for them, but lucky for us, the C's went on a 6 game winning streak to close the season so the Pacers couldn't gain any ground on Boston, and ended up losing the tie breaker with Brooklyn for the 8th seed.

And it's not look the Pacers would have been doomed to a LeBron sweep in the 1st round (as we got those honors instead), but would have faced a 60 win Atlanta team.  Pacers could have made some noise too, especially if George was able to step up a little more, a 38 win Brooklyn team took them to 6 games after all.
Or we could have missed the playoffs and ended up with Turner or Winslow in the draft (of course no Rozier in that scenario).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 03:08:19 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Happy to hear that everything is coming along like it should. I still don’t think he’ll play this year and I’m ok with that. I do not want to rush him at all and the guy we get back at the end of this season if rushed wouldn’t be the guy we’ll have next year when he’s really 100% anyway. I see no reason to rush anything.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 03:13:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Out of the boot for short periods of time, huh?

Get his uniform ready.

Coach Stevens will manage his minutes appropriately.

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
We will need any help from Hayward against Cavs later and I'm sure that if he's ready he'll be on the court without any restrictions. IMO, eventual struggles in case he's back, will only be his mental shape and fear of reinjury.

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I hope his first game back is against Cleveland in the playoffs, and the first time he touches the ball, he drills a 3 in Crowder’s face.
I don't want Crowder anywhere near Hayward. Otherwise, I agree with everything you said.

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 08:50:43 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Its really up to Hayward. ALl indications after the injury were it was a 5-6month injury that would put hayward right at that March date to be 100%

If he is 100% and MENTALLY wants to be on the court and play, then I see no reason not to ease him in with 15mpg to start getting acclimated back to the NBA.

it sounds like from Ainges interview Hayward is motivated to make his way back to the court

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 09:40:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
sounds like he ll be on the bench cheering them on at least.

Great news