Author Topic: Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery  (Read 12941 times)

Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:03:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
BOSTON – A picture of Gordon Hayward without a boot on his left leg, posted by his wife Robyn, sent Celtics Nation into a brief tizzy that maybe, just maybe, the season-ending ankle injury he suffered five minutes into the opener may not be season-ending after all.

Danny Ainge -- while stressing the recuperation timetable hasn't changed -- says Hayward "deep inside . . . wants to come faster than anybody has from this kind of injury."
"He's got a competitive streak to him and he's asking lots of questions," Ainge said Thursday morning on 98.5 The Sports Hub's Toucher & Rich. "He's diligent in his rebab. I know what's going on his mind, but I don't think he'll say anything about how fast he wants to get back."

Officially, however, he's still on pace for a 2018-19 comeback.

"He can take the boot off for short periods of time," Ainge said. "But yeah, he's doing really well. His therapy is going great. He's right on schedule. He's sometimes doing two workouts a day, trying to get stronger. The next phase is getting out of the boot completely, but I still think that's a couple weeks away, from being permanently out of the boot."

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Encouraging news about Hayward’s recovery
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Good luck on the recovery Gordon.

We'll need you for the ECF series vs Cleveland!  8)

Even if it's from a wheelchair, off the bench, you're 20 PPG will come in handy!  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I bet he will be back.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »

Offline mysteryMrE

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
I'm guessing he will be healed in time to return at some point this spring, but have a hard time believing the team will allow him to play knowing the mental and physical risks that will be associated with such an early return.

Fingers crossed for an April miracle!

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:22:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I bet he will be back.

A third of the season gone and his team still with the league’s best record.  I’m sure he was already incredibly motivated to get back, but it’s a special season he doesn’t want to miss out on.  It’s a tough rehab, and the team’s success should help him get through the rough days.  There’s something worth coming back for as soon as possible.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Would be awesome if he could play this year. But only if he's back to full strength and entirely ready in mind and body. The only thing worse than that injury would be an unnecessary re-injury.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:45:52 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Even if Hayward comes back for the playoffs, we can't expect him to play like a star. I'd just as soon he sit this one out.

That said, it's great news that a return is even on the table. The smoother the recovery, the less risk that his athleticism will suffer in the long run.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I bet he will be back.

A third of the season gone and his team still with the league’s best record.  I’m sure he was already incredibly motivated to get back, but it’s a special season he doesn’t want to miss out on.  It’s a tough rehab, and the team’s success should help him get through the rough days.  There’s something worth coming back for as soon as possible.

Yeah, I mean, even if it's for only ~15 MPG or so for April/the playoffs, the team would LOVE to have him and he would want nothing more than to be a part of this surprising season.

When a player makes a decision as big as the one he made this past offseason, uprooting his family in the process, and only gets to play 5 minutes with his new team, I would imagine he would do everything possible to avoid waiting until October to play real basketball again.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I hope he starts to be more “part of the team” and seen at games as the season progresses.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'm guessing he will be healed in time to return at some point this spring, but have a hard time believing the team will allow him to play knowing the mental and physical risks that will be associated with such an early return.

Fingers crossed for an April miracle!

Heck, I'll take mid-May.

Fingers are crossed that we shouldn't really need him before then anyway.

Don't think we should throw him fully back in and risk his body/mess up our chemistry.  But for 15min off the bench....I have to think he'll be a better option than Semi and/or Rozier 6 months from now.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I bet he will be back.

Yeah, I mean, even if it's for only ~15 MPG or so for April/the playoffs, the team would LOVE to have him and he would want nothing more than to be a part of this surprising season.

When a player makes a decision as big as the one he made this past offseason, uprooting his family in the process, and only gets to play 5 minutes with his new team, I would imagine he would do everything possible to avoid waiting until October to play real basketball again.
If he comes back for the playoffs he should/will be restricted to those minutes, 15-20, off the bench and then maybe some crunch time minutes. He shouldn't rush it and I would make sure every doctor is on board with this before giving him a green light.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Even if Hayward comes back for the playoffs, we can't expect him to play like a star. I'd just as soon he sit this one out.

That said, it's great news that a return is even on the table. The smoother the recovery, the less risk that his athleticism will suffer in the long run.
I don't think anyone is expecting a star.  But if he's healthy, and the risks are low, as long as he's better than the next guy then why not have him back?

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
About the picture - I read that this is Kind of means nothing. He may have just taken a shower or In a rehab where he has to take it off periodically

Edit - just read what ainge said. Good stuff  I figured he still wore the boot

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't think anyone is expecting a star.  But if he's healthy, and the risks are low, as long as he's better than the next guy then why not have him back?
agreed, if he's healthy.  restrict him to coming off the bench to ensure he plays limited minutes.  imagine having a second unit with him and possibly Morris (depending on who starts between Morris and Baynes) with Theis, Smart and Rozier.  that second unit would be better than some teams' starting line-ups.  should be able to do a tune on the bench brigade of other teams.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
When George came back from a similar injury, he played 15 minutes a game in 6 games with 9 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal on 37, 41, 73 shooting percentages.

Expect a similar struggle. Getting feel and playing speed back takes time. That being said, I'd love to have him work his way back on the court. He'd still give us positive help.