Author Topic: Hope is alive in Seattle’s quest to get another NBA team  (Read 2345 times)

Re: Hope is alive in Seattle’s quest to get another NBA team
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:46:43 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Just what NBA needs, more teams 😒.. Got enough bad teams now..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think it would make sense to move the Grizzlies back to that part of the world.  Memphis just doesn't appear all that viable as a NBA market.  New Orleans doesn't either, but I think they try to stick it out a bit longer this go around there. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I think it would make sense to move the Grizzlies back to that part of the world.  Memphis just doesn't appear all that viable as a NBA market.  New Orleans doesn't either, but I think they try to stick it out a bit longer this go around there.

Memphis is locked to at least 2021, and possibly into 2029. Won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/memphis-probably-doesn-t-worry-losing-grizzlies-161250396.html
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:54:04 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
What I'd love to see (just wishful thinking)

- 32 NBA teams
- the Seattle SuperSonics
- an expansion franchise in Mexico City
- the Clips move back to San Diego
- 2 more teams from Canada (Vancouver + Montreal)

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
What's the story with Seattle? Franchises move out of cities all the time, yet I feel like there's something extra to Seattle because people keep wanting them to get a franchise back. Were they swindled out of keeping them by state government or something?

Not sure what makes Seattle fans more important than any other fanbase.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
What's the story with Seattle? Franchises move out of cities all the time, yet I feel like there's something extra to Seattle because people keep wanting them to get a franchise back. Were they swindled out of keeping them by state government or something?

They were swindled by that cheap scum, Clay Bennett. The past owner only agreed to sell the franchise with a promise that they would never move the team to another city.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

exactly........the number of true NBA players that would make 60 or 70 era is about 1/2 .   Most are scrubs .  Those old teams all had huge amount HOF play n .....  GS today is built with the talent depth of the past eras.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

They were swindled by that cheap scum, Clay Bennett. The past owner only agreed to sell the franchise with a promise that they would never move the team to another city.

Ah I see. Seems kinda strange that there wasn't a contract stipulation forbidding the move of the franchise to a different city. Multi-millionaires / Billionaires making "promises" to one another? That can't go well.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 06:35:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

exactly........the number of true NBA players that would make 60 or 70 era is about 1/2 .   Most are scrubs .  Those old teams all had huge amount HOF play n .....  GS today is built with the talent depth of the past eras.
this is complete and utter nonsense regarding past eras.  For example, here is the 64/65 Knicks.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NYK/1965.html

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 06:52:17 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I hope my boy Shawn Kemp finally gets his jersey in the rafters.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 04:23:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Relocation is possible, too. The Grizzlies are owned by a Silicon Valley billionaire who is bleeding money in Memphis. The Pelicans routinely rank in the bottom third of the NBA in attendance and are — at best — a fringe playoff contender. While former NBA commissioner David Stern was often stubbornly opposed to relocation, several high-ranking team officials told Yahoo Sports they believe Silver will take a more pragmatic approach.

This is what I'd like to see. If the Memphis grit-n-grind days are over for good and the team is heading into a rebuild that Grizzly fans don't want to stomach it could get ugly there, from a financial perspective.

And I like the way the NBA is right now. More teams means stretching the talent pool thinner even though we always have 2-3 teams in the bottom each season that are barely NBA teams (this year Atlanta, Chicago, and Sacramento). Yes, this is partly by design by these teams but more teams would mean more teams not really in contention each year that see tanking as their best option.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Though NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said earlier this year that he believes expansion is “inevitable,” there is no indication among league owners and other sources that there’s any current appetite among NBA owners to add one or two new teams. The obvious reason why is there is no appetite among them to further split the $24 billion from the new national TV deal, which runs through 2024. (...) a source “with knowledge of the league’s long-range thinking” believes the NBA could expand when the current TV deal expires, meaning 2025 at the absolute earliest.
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/12/11/morning-tip-seattle-key-arena-renovation-small-step-forward-hopes-nba-return?collection=news#/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:31:19 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Though NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said earlier this year that he believes expansion is “inevitable,” there is no indication among league owners and other sources that there’s any current appetite among NBA owners to add one or two new teams. The obvious reason why is there is no appetite among them to further split the $24 billion from the new national TV deal, which runs through 2024. (...) a source “with knowledge of the league’s long-range thinking” believes the NBA could expand when the current TV deal expires, meaning 2025 at the absolute earliest.
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/12/11/morning-tip-seattle-key-arena-renovation-small-step-forward-hopes-nba-return?collection=news#/
or maybe they are going to pay 650 million and get a NHL team and need a nice place for that team to play