Author Topic: The real steal-Theis  (Read 4066 times)

The real steal-Theis
« on: December 07, 2017, 05:19:55 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Daniel Thies 7 points, 11 rebounds,2 assists,2 steals,1 block in 17 minutes.Nobody saw this coming.
Theis continues to impress and build chemistry.Second half of season as bigs stop running and banging underneath while going through the motions.
Theis will bring hustle and energy -a very deceptive player with his rim protection and put backs
He puts himself in position  and does not mind contact underneath.
A very savvy rookie with all those years in the trenches in Europe doing hand to hand with European bigs .They can be burly and awkward but tough.

Asked this before and it must be a state secret-"What is his wingspan and standing reach?"

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:30:28 AM by rollie mass »

Re: The real steal-Theis
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:25:09 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
To think some of us initially saw him as a training camp body and nothing more.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:48:23 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I watched some of his games in European tournament at end of season-of interest mostly because he blocked Zizic three times in a row.
Never envisioned Celts going after him or that his defense and ability to rebound would translate against USA players at his tweener height.At best thought he would be a Jerebko type but he seems to have quicker jump attached to that reach-
-A very deceptive player with that length and motor the players and refs have underestimated his shot blocking and need stop calling phantom fouls--then there were two out of bounds saves that led to 3 pt baskets by Nader and YABUSELE

This also raises the question can Danny and Brad work magic.
And what is next-Yabusele? or another pickup
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:17:43 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:36:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His motor is what I really like.   He comes to play every night.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:39:30 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Theis Team Rankings

1 - FG%
1 - Defensive Rating per 100 Possessions (by 5 points!)
3 - Total Shooting %
1 - Defensive Rebounding %
2 - Overall Rebounding %
1 - Block %
1 - Defensive Box (Score) +/-

Otherwise all in the middle except for:

15 - Turnover %

Which is why he's strictly a catch and shoot player or lob city/offensive put-back scorer.

In any case a great signing for Danny.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:11:20 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
He reminds me a lot lately of Larry Nance Jr (which I think is a compliment)
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
smaller birdman with a jump shot ist my comparison for him.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
great pick up by Danny that was underappreciated by most at the time he was signed. 

definitely a great summer by Danny all the way around.  Theis is the unexpected cream filling in the cupcake (With Kyrie, Hayward and Tatum being the frosting everyone sees on top)

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I've been on the Theis train since the day they announced he was going to come to the Celtics, way back last June.

I love this kid's game.   Solid, fundamental.  Tough as nails.  Fantastic, smart defender.   Not an elite scorer but at least competent with his shot and overall a 'plus' on the offensive side of the court.

I love how 'big' he plays, even though he is 'only' 6' 9".  Has great footwork, super-long arms and not afraid to bang with big boys.

And most of all, I love how having either Theis or Baynes on the floor lets Horford play the 4 so much, where he has just been awesome this year.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I didn't know squat about this kid before he joined the Celtics but I love watching him play.  Has a great basketball sense & plays hard.  Fun to watch.  Also, "Vanilla Theis" ranks up there as one of the great nicknames out there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 11:19:14 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Theis had that big preseason game, and then got buried out of the rotation. He's been pretty steady through the season playing low minutes, but he's capable of more, as he showed again last night.

I wonder if he's the guy to defend these big inside players like Drummond and Ante. Baynes doesn't have the length to do it. Theis may not have the length, either. For the playoffs, they will need someone to clog up the middle. Ainge should be considering a player like Tyson Chandler for the stretch run and the playoffs.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I watched some of his games in European tournament at end of season-of interest mostly because he blocked Zizic three times in a row.

Here is a clip of the "block party" :   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32bal9DQWGg

When people were moaning about giving up Zizic, I tried to convince them not to worry, because we had the Anti-Zizic...haha.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Theis had that big preseason game, and then got buried out of the rotation. He's been pretty steady through the season playing low minutes, but he's capable of more, as he showed again last night.

I wonder if he's the guy to defend these big inside players like Drummond and Ante. Baynes doesn't have the length to do it. Theis may not have the length, either. For the playoffs, they will need someone to clog up the middle. Ainge should be considering a player like Tyson Chandler for the stretch run and the playoffs.
Theis is shorter than Baynes, and Baynes is decidedly the longest player on our team.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 12:02:25 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I really love Theis and he would be in my starting 5 this year with Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, and Horford.

His hustle and rebounding is such a huge boost for our team. I am a big fan of Theis Theis Baby

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Theis is a good defender and athletic.  His offensive game is limited, but the lobs are very effective because he will get up in the air willingly and throw down the jam.  Defensively and rebounding he has been a plus for our team.

I am impressed with the rookie from the german league.  His defensive skills have translated.  And yeah the refs did give him a couple of phantom fouls in the mavs game.  But officiating was uneven throughout the whole game.  Once Theis garners a bit of a reputation for defense calls will start to go his way.  But they usually don't your rookie year.