Author Topic: Shane Larkin is sparkin'!  (Read 2719 times)

Shane Larkin is sparkin'!
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:52:23 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
When Danny Ainge picked up Shane Larkin in the off season I remembered seeing him play with Brooklyn and thought he had some skills on the offensive side of the ball but everything Larkin took on offense he quickly gave back on defense. He did not play that side of the ball at all. This new Celtics Shane Larkin is at least hustling on defense. I guess Brad Stevens brings it out in players. He gets them to buy in and play hard on both ends. Larkin had a good night against Dallas last night and really helped spark the win and not just on the offensive side of the ball but he really got after it against The Mav's small guards. The next man up philosophy is in full effect for the surprising Boston Celtics!

Re: Shane Larkin is sparkin'!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Switching with Dirk wasn't awesome..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Switching with Dirk wasn't awesome..

No but, the little dude has a lot of fight in him.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
larkin is what, the 13th player on the team? already he has had a couple of good nights and last night his effort kept the celtics close enough to win the game.

this year's version of the celtics has a lot of talented role players, whom CBS is brilliant at deploying and getting the most out of.

i expect we will see "good shane" a few more times this season, and that is a good thing.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:57:06 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:16:28 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Haven't been a huge fan of him this season, but he was certainly on from 3 and he had that great up and under. He came up big when we really needed him and I am glad to see his hard work paying off.

One thing that has been fairly consistent this season is his ability to stay with his man. It is probably his size, but he gets around picks without giving up the shot/penetration better than a lot of guards in this league. He is small, but he appears to be using his size to his advantage.

Another part of the game where I think he can excel is the PnR. Last night wasn't a great example of this as Dallas was daring him to shoot, but teams may start to respect his shot a bit more and he will get opportunities to hit a cutting big man rolling to the hoop.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I was totally non-plussed by his signing.

Wow, has he pleasantly surprised me.  He is like a poor man's IT for us.  Great situational guy to have as a spark off the bench, especially against smaller guards. 

Well done, Ainge.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Eh Larkins been bad overall, glad he had one of his good games last night.

Even then his poor play defensively was one of the reasons Dallas went on one of their runs in the first half. There is a good reason he is a DNP if we're healthy lately.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
When Danny Ainge picked up Shane Larkin in the off season I remembered seeing him play with Brooklyn and thought he had some skills on the offensive side of the ball but everything Larkin took on offense he quickly gave back on defense. He did not play that side of the ball at all. This new Celtics Shane Larkin is at least hustling on defense. I guess Brad Stevens brings it out in players. He gets them to buy in and play hard on both ends. Larkin had a good night against Dallas last night and really helped spark the win and not just on the offensive side of the ball but he really got after it against The Mav's small guards. The next man up philosophy is in full effect for the surprising Boston Celtics!
Yup, during the game I was thinking Larkin vs. Barea was like watching middle school kids playing, lol.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He adds a nice veteran presence to the second unit with some instant-offense as well.  DA's pickups have all paid off in some way or another.

My only worry is Yabusele.  Although he gave quite a few nice assists against the Mavs.  Hopefully he wraps his head around the NBA soon.  Because as many have noted his body and physical strength are already quite good.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
He is one of the better mighty mites Danny has signed over few years .   He can play at NBA speed and does not seem rattled under pressure .  Buys imto his role well.   

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
He adds a nice veteran presence to the second unit with some instant-offense as well.  DA's pickups have all paid off in some way or another.

My only worry is Yabusele.  Although he gave quite a few nice assists against the Mavs.  Hopefully he wraps his head around the NBA soon.  Because as many have noted his body and physical strength are already quite good.

Give him (Yabu) some time... He also isn’t really “needed” to be great this year and seems to be a good personality for the team. The guys cheered for him quite a bit when he made that 3 against Dallas.

Larkin is a nice statement player for Stevens. I love that he plays Shane when the team just can’t get things going!

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 12:06:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
He is one of the better mighty mites Danny has signed over few years .   He can play at NBA speed and does not seem rattled under pressure .  Buys imto his role well.

Putting Larkin into a game is like a changeup pitch in baseball. He comes in and plays at a different speed and temporally throws the other team off. He's a valuable weapon to have on the deep bench.

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Getting excited over 3rd string, barely NBA players is one of the things I love about Celticsblog.

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I can think of 2 games earlier in the season that he definitely was the difference between a win and a loss.  Last night they might have been able to do it without his production, but be he sure as heck made it a lot easier (and enjoyable to watch!).

Yup

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 12:47:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
To celebrate this thread, I think I'll go for some 'sparkin' myself tonight.   ;)