Author Topic: IT4 "scrimmaged" at Cavs practice today  (Read 5506 times)

Re: IT4 "scrimmaged" at Cavs practice today
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 03:12:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Hope he makes the cavs worse

I am not sure if you are joking or not. However this is possible. The cavs have an awesome offense and really don't need to improve. There problem at times has been defense and IT may make it worse. I feel bad for him from a pay day perspective cause I think he could earn a bigger contract

cavs currently are averaging as much points against as ppg  :o

For the season, maybe.   They had some horrendous defensive efforts in their early games.  But not "currently".

Over the last 13 games (their current winning streak), the Cavs have scored 116.2 points per 100 possessions and given up only 105.4 points per 100.   Those numbers would rank 1st and 4th in team rankings for offense.   They've notably held their opponents to under 100 points in 6 of their last 9 games.

People who dismissed the Cavs because of their rough start to the season were probably more than a bit ... premature.

Their winning streak has included wins against 2 teams that will probably make the playoffs (Philly and Detroit). Acting like they have solved their issues beating up on Atlanta, Sacramento, New York, Brooklyn, Dallas and a crumbling Clippers team is a bit.... premature.
The C's probably only beat 6 playoff teams in its win streak.  Do you hold them to the same standard?
First, 6 is a lot more than 2

Second, absolutely. The Celtics win streak was in large part a product of scheduling. Outside of Toronto and GSW they didn't plan an impressive host of teams. As bad as our strength of schedule was, Cleveland has been way worse.

Thanks for this. I was hoping someone else would comment on the absurdity of this...wow

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I am not sure if you are joking or not. However this is possible. The cavs have an awesome offense and really don't need to improve. There problem at times has been defense and IT may make it worse. I feel bad for him from a pay day perspective cause I think he could earn a bigger contract

For the season, maybe.   They had some horrendous defensive efforts in their early games.  But not "currently".

Over the last 13 games (their current winning streak), the Cavs have scored 116.2 points per 100 possessions and given up only 105.4 points per 100.   Those numbers would rank 1st and 4th in team rankings for offense.   They've notably held their opponents to under 100 points in 6 of their last 9 games.

People who dismissed the Cavs because of their rough start to the season were probably more than a bit ... premature.

Their winning streak has included wins against 2 teams that will probably make the playoffs (Philly and Detroit). Acting like they have solved their issues beating up on Atlanta, Sacramento, New York, Brooklyn, Dallas and a crumbling Clippers team is a bit.... premature.
The C's probably only beat 6 playoff teams in its win streak.  Do you hold them to the same standard?
First, 6 is a lot more than 2

Second, absolutely. The Celtics win streak was in large part a product of scheduling. Outside of Toronto and GSW they didn't plan an impressive host of teams. As bad as our strength of schedule was, Cleveland has been way worse.
Cavs next 2 games are against likely playoff teams (or at least probable).  Win those and it closes the gap.  now the C's did have the Spurs, Warriors, and Raptors, teams well above .500, something Cleveland doesn't have, but there isn't much difference between bad teams (i.e the Hornets and Hawks really aren't much different thus far).  And the Cavs, before the streak, did beat Boston, Washington, and Milwaukee twice so it isn't like they don't have some solid wins on the year with most of their losses being to bad teams (post-streak Boston has also added wins against Philly, Indy, and Milwaukee while losing to Detroit among a loss to a bad team and some wins over bad teams). 

My point was simply, it isn't exactly like Boston went through a murderers row during its 16 game streak.  It was filled with a lot of bad teams and only a few good ones.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 05:24:38 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

January is when they really get a legit schedule. 11 of their 13 games are against teams that will probably make the playoffs including Boston, Golden State and San Antonio. If they rip through that stretch than by all means, give them all sorts of credit. I suspect they will come crashing down to earth then. They have that schedule then cause their schedule now is so easy.

First off, my point wasn't to compare their defense or their streak with Boston's.  Just to point out that the Cavs have played significantly and measurably better defense recently.

Per basketball-reference, the Cavs have a Strength Of Schedule (SOS) rating of -1.51, which indeed is pretty weak, ranking dead last at 30th.

But for reference, the Celtics have an SOS rating of just -0.84, or 27th.   Not a lot more impressive.

Now, it is also important to keep in mind that both teams, the Celtics and the Cavs are together responsible for dishing out a lot of losses to common opponents, suppressing the W-L records of their opponents and thus holding down their mutual SOS.   Those team's W-L records are better served by playing games NOT involving CLE or BOS.   In other words, there is a bit of a feedback effect that won't get washed out until teams have played a lot more games.   This early in the year, the top SOS teams tend to be teams that have lost a lot while the lowest SOS teams tend to be the stronger teams.   At the top of the rankings we currently have PHI, MEM, DAL & CHA while at the bottom you have BOS, SAS, POR & CLE.  That will redistribute as the season progresses.

So, in reality, the "true" strength of schedule for both the Cavs and the Celtics is probably higher than the current ratings would indicate.

But it does indicate that their overall strength of schedule has probably not been all that different from ours.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.