Author Topic: Flat Earth.  (Read 4618 times)

Re: Flat Earth.
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 04:40:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Maybe I’m a bit slow, but is the science that complicated?

If a ship / airplane circumnavigated the globe (like happened around 500 years ago), isn’t that all the proof one needs?

I’m not sure we need to get into measurements of curvature, etc. Between photos and circumnavigation, not rational person can conclude the Earth is flat.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
If i could dribble as well as Kyrie I might consider it. Not like, search past wikipedia or twitter, but I'd seek verification.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The fact that we're even still talking about this means that Kyrie has got us thinking..

Kyrie "Truckers Convention" Irving - The Philosopher.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Kyrie says from space , the Earth looks like a frisbee to him.

I don't care what non sense he believes long as he is dropping 25 points a game .

If it mkaes him shoot better ......then i can play along too.  ;)

Maybe Kyrie is correct. Is the earth really flat?
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 07:19:01 PM »

Offline jackpercussion

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 07:24:24 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Maybe I’m a bit slow, but is the science that complicated?

If a ship / airplane circumnavigated the globe (like happened around 500 years ago), isn’t that all the proof one needs?

I’m not sure we need to get into measurements of curvature, etc. Between photos and circumnavigation, not rational person can conclude the Earth is flat.

This is the flat earth map. As you can see, all areas are accessible so it's not a matter of "how do you explain flying from australia to California." It's not the flat earth of what you'd see on a regular map where you fall off the map passed Hawaii. For flights that would be shorter in the flat earth, they explain this by saying that the airlines, in cahoots with the government, purposely take "the long route" by needlessly traveling extra circles before reaching the destination. For flights that would be longer in the flat earth, they claim that these flights either don't exist or the airlines, in cahoots with the government, is lying on the website.

Basically any argument has a politicians response and therefore it's highly recommended not to waste time arguing with these people. They also like to cite obviously highly suspect experiments by no name scientists done to prove that there is no curvature, which have obviously been debunked, but when you point that part out, they stop responding.

Re: Maybe Kyrie is correct. Is the earth really flat?
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 08:13:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Lol, no man. This is an article about a limo driver who has hospitalized himself once already trying to launch a rocket, about his next attempt to launch a rocket. It’s interesting but no, it’s not important.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
I think Kyrie was sincerely questioning whether the earth was flat. That being said, he covered himself by saying he just wanted people to question even the most basic beliefs (which I also think was a sincere point he was trying to make).

I hope everyone questions whether the earth is flat. Basic math and science can tell you it is not. But the exercise of questioning is important. There are many people who accept that the world is round, but do so based solely on belief in what they've been told. While the results of this method may be correct, the process by which they arrive at the correct answer is no better than those who advocate a flat earth position.
Yes it is.  Those who follow the scientific logic vs. those who just look around.  Huge difference.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that questioning is always a good thing.

On what basis do you think Kyrie was sincerely questioning whether the earth is flat?  He was trying to make a point (your point too) that it is useful to question and not just accept.

I think you may want to re-read my statement. I did not say there was not a difference. I said it [the process by which they formed belief] was no better. In absolute terms, it could be argued that one or the other is better, but we have no way to measure all of its ramifications so that would remain hypothetical. To make the point, I'm happy to stick "no better".

My belief that Kyrie was sincere is just speculation based on many factors including the topic, subsequent follow-up, and other things Kyrie has stated. I guess we'd have to be in Kyrie's head to know for sure, but I don't think he was purely trolling.
I did re-read your statement and I'm happy to stick by "huge difference".  The process is completely different.  One person understands science and logic which puts them at a distinct advantage over the other person who only believes what they can feel, see, smell or touch.  The scientific process is indeed better (strictly speaking, it is an added advantage as scientists do not reject the senses) and in fact we can measure all of the ramifications, so not hypothetical at all.

I'm glad to let you have your opinion about Kyrie's sincerity, I just don't see the basis for it.

I think you could do with a third read, then. Here, "There are many people who accept that the world is round, but do so based solely on belief in what they've been told."

Imagine I'm telling you many people believe the earth is flat based solely on what they've been told.

Now imagine I'm telling you many people believe the earth is spherical based solely on what they've been told.

The process is no better, though the results are better.

Since the prevalence of belief in a flat earth is a symptom of poor process, ie, poor education/communication, then it seems we should focus on process improvement, not just result reinforcement.

For many people, their correct beliefs are basically happenstance. Which makes it more likely they will have other false beliefs due to poor process.

Re: Maybe Kyrie is correct. Is the earth really flat?
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
Lol, no man. This is an article about a limo driver who has hospitalized himself once already trying to launch a rocket, about his next attempt to launch a rocket. It’s interesting but no, it’s not important.

I was wondering how a guy understood science well enough to build his own rocket, but failed to understand that the earth is a sphere. Sounds like maybe he didn't do such a great job with the rocket building anyway.