Author Topic: The 2018 NBA Draft Prospects playing on TV Today, We Can Dream, thread:Ongoing  (Read 23540 times)

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
The Stepien is a decent new site.  They have Bagley at #9 so they kind of lose some credibility there but they go pretty in-depth with analysis and do podcasts frequently.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
We all know the story: we currently have the 30th pick of the Draft, and that's it. Not much to get real excited about at the moment, but we could get lucky with the Fakers pick, yes we can dream, and who knows if a second round pick could eventually come our way in some sort of deal, so it doesn't hurt to get conversant with the Draft prospects out there.

Last year I updated this thread daily due to all the picks we had. I will attempt to do the same this year despite our current draft status. Who knows, anything can happen.

Also, bear with me as I get up to speed on the potential draftees. With no Draftexpress to help me tease out the prospects, I'm sure I'll miss some and include others that shouldn't be listed. Also, please make suggestions as to whom I should include.

Todays Prospects on TV tonight, 12/5:

7:00 BTN      Mich St.                  Jarren Jackson Jr. (2), Miles Bridges (22)

7:00 ESPN.   'Nova/Gonzaga.       Mikal Bridges (25)/ Rui Hachimura (21),Jonathan Wms. (3)

7:00.ACCNE   Notre Dame           Bonnie Colton (35)

7:00 ACCNE.  Miami.                   Bruce Brown (11)

7:00 ESPN2.  Texas.                    Bamba (4)

7:00 SECN.   Georgia.                 Yante Maten (1)

9:00 ESPNU  Duke.                    Bagley (35), Allen (3), Trent (2), Duval (1), Carter (34), Bolden(20)

9:00 ESPN2  A&M vs 'Zona.        Robt Wms (44)/Ayton (13), Alkins (1), Trier (35)

TP, sorry I was in a procedure since you posted this, as I would have been all over it haha.  I've been waiting for this thread. I like to keep tabs on alot of the young players regardless of whether or not the Celtics have a shot at them.

Everyone has talked the top 5 to death. I like Jaren Jackson, and Robert Williams as players worthy of our attention. Especially Robert Williams. He has every tool that we could use. 6'9 with a 7'5.5 wingspan, and nasty hops with a good motor. Couple that with good touch from 20 feet, and we have a good shadow for Horford.

Due to my schedule, I love reading our blogs interpretations of a players output in real time. I feel it's pertinent considering draft express is behind an ESPN Paywall now.

PS- I don't know about most, but I try to shower TPs on informative threads. Csfan is a real MVP  :)
#JKJB

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I've like Robert Williams when I've seen him before, but he's been almost invisible tonight.

Ayton has looked good.  Big, all around game, good footwork in the post.

Bill Walton needs to go.  He's out of his mind... even more than usual.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I've like Robert Williams when I've seen him before, but he's been almost invisible tonight.

Ayton has looked good.  Big, all around game, good footwork in the post.

Bill Walton needs to go.  He's out of his mind... even more than usual.

Interesting, that non effective huh? Also yeah Bill is pretty insane, but he serves a entertaining purpose most nights.
#JKJB

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I can't say that either Williams or Ayton were that impressive.  Williams had a decent 2nd half after doing nothing in the first.  Ayton flashed the skills, but doesn't dominate.  Weak on the defensive end.

Bill Walton on the other hand is the best there ever was.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
Williams scored just 4 points.  I just noticed that's his fourth straight game with 4 points.  He's barely involved in the offense.  I expected a lot more in his sophomore year. 

Walton sometimes makes me laugh and sometimes irritates me.  Tonight was the latter as he was just way out there.  With about 30 seconds left and during play in a close game, he was going on about the play by play guy hating Walton's grandchildren (something about global warming).  He was joking, but it was weird and the wrong time for that.  He also does not know NCAA rules as his partner kept having to explain them.

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Williams scored just 4 points.  I just noticed that's his fourth straight game with 4 points.  He's barely involved in the offense.  I expected a lot more in his sophomore year. 

Walton sometimes makes me laugh and sometimes irritates me.  Tonight was the latter as he was just way out there.  With about 30 seconds left and during play in a close game, he was going on about the play by play guy hating Walton's grandchildren (something about global warming).  He was joking, but it was weird and the wrong time for that.  He also does not know NCAA rules as his partner kept having to explain them.

LOL. IF anyone can find video, please post.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I can't say that either Williams or Ayton were that impressive.  Williams had a decent 2nd half after doing nothing in the first.  Ayton flashed the skills, but doesn't dominate.  Weak on the defensive end.

Agree...Tyler Davis looked like the best player on the floor and definitely outplayed his teammate Williams and Ayton. Felt bad for him with that travel at the very end where he could've sent it to OT.

And Walton is a trip.... makes tha PAC12 Network games fun......acid when in Cali, probably (peyote) buttons in the desert.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Agree...Tyler Davis looked like the best player on the floor and definitely outplayed his teammate Williams and Ayton. Felt bad for him with that travel at the very end where he could've sent it to OT.

And Walton is a trip.... makes tha PAC12 Network games fun......acid when in Cali, probably (peyote) buttons in the desert.

I wouldn't doubt that Walton was on peyote tonight... he was in Arizona afterall.

Davis was outstanding tonight.  Ayton looks like he is still trying to fit in and understand his role.  I'm guessing he will look more dominant as the season progresses.

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I use to keep nbadrafttiers.com up. Had a lot of followers, but couldn't figure out a way to monetize to make it worth the amount of time I was taking from my family.

I'm not an expert though.

I'm really unimpressed with anyone past the top 5 this year. Honestly, Grayson Allen is the 6th best player in this draft.

Michael Porter has some legit questions about his game. From what I've heard he may be unlikely to go into the draft this year anyway.

For me, it goes 1) Doncic 2) Bagley 3) Ayton 4) Bamba 5) Porter.

I really like a kid from UCLA named Kris Wilkes. I also think the wing from Kentucky is a good prospect - Kevin Knox. I know Allen is a head case, but he has the ability to be a better Evan Fournier. Miles Bridges, Robert Williams, Trae Young, and Isaac Bonga (Germany) round out the top 12 to me.

High end comparisons might help you see how I gauge them so far.

Doncic - Better Gordan Hayward (plays with great pace and body control, but has better court vision)
Bagley - Chris Bosh (lean crafty scorer from the inside and outside)
Ayton - Jermaine O'neil (a bit rigid, but great body with a pretty good feel)
Bamba - Gobert/Steven Adams (defensive centrifuge with limited offensive feel)
Porter - Rashard Lewis/Kris Middleton (great scoring instincts)
Allen - Oladipo/Fournier (great shot creator whose game should be even better with an open court in the pros)
Wilkes - Trevor Arize-heavy (really good athlete with great defensive instincts and raw driving power)
Knox - Rudy Gay (scorer)
Bridges - Julius Randle (crafty left hander with passing and defensive potential)
Williams - Cody Zeller with shot blocking (developing feel for helping the offense keep moving and a good defensive instincts although lazy)
Trae Young - Jrue Holliday (crafty high volume scorer with pretty good court vision)
Isaac Bonga - Nic Batum (great physique and court vision)

I like some of your comparisons. But I really do at the same time, dislike how we try to fit player's mold into cookie-cutting. Doncic doesn't seem like any player I've seen play from Euro, his skillset offensively is just light years ahead of his college peers in the NCAA, and definitely above most professional European players. That being said, while his skill and his vision is extremely high, and he's very young, I definitely have question marks about what his best position would be, and his defense.

And why do you have Grayson Allen as the 6th best player over Trae Young, who's having a stellar season? Just curious, I'm very high on Bagley, who I think will eventually get the KAT treatment.

I agree about player comparisons. They fall woefully short in actually scouting a player. That said, as a short summary of the players in a draft class, it can be helpful. Again, you can't reduce a player, because each player has an irreducable complexity ...

For that reason, when I do comparisons, I try to find a player's defining characteristics (normally just 1-2) and find a current successful NBA player with those same characteristics.

I agree with you on Doncic. He's one of the toughest comparisons. I went with Hayward because of the way that both players play at their own steady pace, but both are crafty, deceptively athletic, and able to get to where they want on the court. The think is that Doncic looks like he has much higher upside as a passer.

As far as Allen goes, I'm a sucker for lateral explosiveness (changing direction, jumping off one foot, eurosteps, etc.). Its one of the underrated athletic abilities in the NBA. Grayson Allen is a pretty good athlete, but his lateral explosiveness is elite. Combine that with his shooting and scoring knack and his NBA size for NBA two-guard, and I think he is a really underrated prospect. There are definitely other concerns with him, but his basketball abilities are special, and there is something to be said about playing and starring for Coach K.

I haven't seen enough of Young, but I do like him. I don't see the same kind of athleticism with Young, and so far, he hasn't been a great shooter. I will be really interested to see him in Big 12 play against Kansas, Texas, etc. If he has big games against NBA level athletes, then he might continue to rise on my list.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:00:13 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Bamba looked good tonight. He is just freakishly long. He looks like one of the Fantastic Four with those arms.

Another guy who might sneak into the top 5 if someone falls is Jaren Jackson. 8 blocks tonight.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Really like Williams but he made a dumb decision to go back to school.  He could end up being a steal in the draft. 

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
UPDATE: Wednesday 12/6

7:00 ESPN2    Louisville     Deng Adel (22)

8:00 SEC/ESPN 'Bama.    Collin Sexton (2)

9:00 ESPN2     Kansas      Mikhailiuk(10), Graham(4), Preston(23), Lawson(1), Azubuike(35)

11:00 PAC12.  UCLA.        Wilkes (13), Holiday (3), Smith (5), Riley (2)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Thx

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Thx

My pleasure.

TP to you.

Your thread on not giving up on the Fakers pick reminded/encouraged me to do this again, so thank YOU.☘️🏀👍

EDIT: Now that we just took care of the Cavs, gonna watch the Jayhawks now, then the Bruins.