Author Topic: Tatum ranked 6th in NBA points per play, (ahead of Lebron, Durant, Curry, klay)  (Read 5201 times)

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
wow! Tatum is looking like a stud!  who could have known his shooting would turn out to be this good?  yes he is getting a lot of good looks, but the important part is that he is knocking them down!

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
So who is 1-5?  That information would tell me whether this stat is worth a [dang]?  Second, the fact that the guys behind him are so high on the list given there high usage rates is extremely impressive.  More likely than not, increasing Tatum's usage rate would cause him to tumble down this list.

You’re missing the point. LeBron’s been playing in the NBA for nearly as long as Tatum has been walking. But seriously, you can’t compare usage rates of guys who’ve been in the league as long as LeBron (15th season in NBA), Durant (11th), and Curry (9th) to a 19 year old.

Any way you slice it, it’s impressive. His TS% is .649 and his eFG% is .597. For a rookie forward, that’s pretty absurd. His ORtg is 121 and DRtg 101.

Once again, he’s 19!
CELTICS 2024

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Marc D'Amico @celtics
about 1 hour ago

Most points by a BOS rookie through the team's first 25 games in franchise history (via @celtics_stats): 1. Bird - 454 (1979-80) 2. Cowens - 446 (1970-71) 3. Radja - 379 (1993-94) 4. TATUM - 348 (2017-18) 5. Pierce - 333 (1998-99)
That is a little misleading because it is team games, not player games (Pierce for example scored 357 points in his first 25 games). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Marc D'Amico @celtics
about 1 hour ago

Most points by a BOS rookie through the team's first 25 games in franchise history (via @celtics_stats): 1. Bird - 454 (1979-80) 2. Cowens - 446 (1970-71) 3. Radja - 379 (1993-94) 4. TATUM - 348 (2017-18) 5. Pierce - 333 (1998-99)

Dino!!!

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I apologize, but I'm not that familiar with some of these advanced stats. What is the points per play stat measuring? In other words, what information is taken into account to come up with the stat?

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
wow! Tatum is looking like a stud!  who could have known his shooting would turn out to be this good?  yes he is getting a lot of good looks, but the important part is that he is knocking them down!

Danny knew

He said after Tatum worked out pre-draft that Tatum is the best shooter who has ever come in for a workout.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So who is 1-5?  That information would tell me whether this stat is worth a [dang]?  Second, the fact that the guys behind him are so high on the list given there high usage rates is extremely impressive.  More likely than not, increasing Tatum's usage rate would cause him to tumble down this list.

You’re missing the point. LeBron’s been playing in the NBA for nearly as long as Tatum has been walking. But seriously, you can’t compare usage rates of guys who’ve been in the league as long as LeBron (15th season in NBA), Durant (11th), and Curry (9th) to a 19 year old.

Any way you slice it, it’s impressive. His TS% is .649 and his eFG% is .597. For a rookie forward, that’s pretty absurd. His ORtg is 121 and DRtg 101.

Once again, he’s 19!
Hey, I know Tatum looks great.  I’m just asking for full disclosure on this stat.  If the names at 1-5 aren’t as impressive as the ones immediately behind Tatum then the data is brought into proper perspective.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:16:33 PM by knuckleballer »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Marc D'Amico @celtics
about 1 hour ago

That is a little misleading because it is team games, not player games (Pierce for example scored 357 points in his first 25 games).
Not misleading, just attaching value to being able to play right away.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/937832891278675969

Rookie Jayson Tatum averaging a team-best 1.137 points per play, per Synergy.

He’s 6th in NBA among high-volume players with > 250 plays finished.

Some names close behind him…

8. Klay Thompson (1.131)
9. Steph Curry (1.13)
10. LeBron James (1.123)
12. Kevin Durant (1.097)
This was before last night's game where he did great

A tiny bit misleading given his usage rate, but he's still been absolutely fantastic at picking his spots and executing when they call on him.

I don't care if it is misleading, this is legit superstar type stuff for a rookie.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I know they don't want to force the issue, but why doesn't he get more touches?
Cause Kyrie need 24 fga...

To be fair, Kyrie is shooting 49% / 37% / 87% while putting up an extremely respectable 1.32 Points Per FGA - which I would hazard a guess is probably BY FAR the most efficient of his career.

1.32 Pts Per FGA is an exceptional number for a PG, especially one who is a high volume scorer  like Kyrie.  Hard to complain about him getting those shots.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Once again, he’s 19!
Hey, I know Tatum looks great.  I’m just asking for full disclosure on this stat.  If the names at 1-5 aren’t as impressive as the ones immediately behind Tatum then the data is brought into proper perspective.

I think the numbers are in perfectly fine perspective. 

Tatum's efficiency is absolutely historical, not just for a rookie, but for any player. 

If he was playing 18 MPG and putting up those efficiency numbers in garbage time, then I would say fair enough those numbers should be taken with a huge grain of salt. 

But this kid is playing >30 MPG as a starter and core contributor on the best team in the NBA.

• He's leading the league in 3PT shooting at 51%, and he's doing it on 3 attempts per game - it's not like he's taking a three every 2 or 3 games and it's just down to fluke of small sample size.  This kid takes quite a large number of threes, and he's hitting them at a higher percentage than anybody else in the NBA.
  • He's got almost half as many free throw attempts (99) as he has FGA (238) - that free throw rate ranks him 12th among all nba players.

How do you secure a place as one of the most efficient offensive players in the NBA?  By scoring as many points as possible off as little attempts.  How do you do that? By getting free additoinal points off three point shots and free throws - and Tatum is pretty much dominating the league in both categories.   

You're holding his usage rate against him - I see it the opposite way.  Usage rate measures how many plays/possessions a given player uses on offence.  Tatum is a guy who can give you points WITHOUT the need to call a lot of plays for him. 

How many times have you seen Tatum finish with something like 14 points, then you look at his stats and he's only taken like 4 shots? It just so happens that he he's gone 3-5 from three (9 pts), 3-4 from the foul line (3 points) and 1-2 on twos (2 points). 

If you have a kid who can give you 14 points on 4 field goal attempts, that's not something you complain about..that's for sure.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Marc D'Amico @celtics
about 1 hour ago

Not misleading, just attaching value to being able to play right away.
Pierce played right away.  He missed a couple of games over the first 25 the team played.  That is like saying Embiid scored 0 points in the first 164 team games.  All true, but has no real value as a stat.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Once again, he’s 19!

I think the numbers are in perfectly fine perspective. 

Tatum's efficiency is absolutely historical, not just for a rookie, but for any player. 

If he was playing 18 MPG and putting up those efficiency numbers in garbage time, then I would say fair enough those numbers should be taken with a huge grain of salt. 

But this kid is playing >30 MPG as a starter and core contributor on the best team in the NBA.

• He's leading the league in 3PT shooting at 51%, and he's doing it on 3 attempts per game - it's not like he's taking a three every 2 or 3 games and it's just down to fluke of small sample size.  This kid takes quite a large number of threes, and he's hitting them at a higher percentage than anybody else in the NBA.
  • He's got almost half as many free throw attempts (99) as he has FGA (238) - that free throw rate ranks him 12th among all nba players.

How do you secure a place as one of the most efficient offensive players in the NBA?  By scoring as many points as possible off as little attempts.  How do you do that? By getting free additoinal points off three point shots and free throws - and Tatum is pretty much dominating the league in both categories.   

You're holding his usage rate against him - I see it the opposite way.  Usage rate measures how many plays/possessions a given player uses on offence.  Tatum is a guy who can give you points WITHOUT the need to call a lot of plays for him. 

How many times have you seen Tatum finish with something like 14 points, then you look at his stats and he's only taken like 4 shots? It just so happens that he he's gone 3-5 from three (9 pts), 3-4 from the foul line (3 points) and 1-2 on twos (2 points). 

If you have a kid who can give you 14 points on 4 field goal attempts, that's not something you complain about..that's for sure.
the way you worded Tatums performance and statistics makes tatum accomplishment look incredible. Tp

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
over the last 6 games, tatums stats have risen to now being

14.3ppg which is 3rd on the team, and 5.6 rpg on 51% shooting from the field and 51% shooting from 3. as he gets even more comfortable with the nba game, I wonder where he can end up at the end of the season?

I think in any other year without Ben simmons, tatum wins the rookie of the year. and tatum is doing this as a major contributer on a top team in the nba