Author Topic: Is 3-point shooting still improving, and if so, improving at a higher rate?  (Read 869 times)

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Just curious to see if anyone has any hard data or data analysis that shows if 3-point shooting is improving, and if the rate of improvement is increasing at a higher rate in recent years.

I see that 58 guys are shooting over .400, that last season finished with 34 guys, the year before that was 24 guys, the year before that was 22, and the year before that was 26.

Also, is there any dramatic improvement across the league (not just for the elite shooters)

Cheers
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I was curious about this as well. It seems like every team has at least 2 40% 3-point shooters.

Overall though, I don't see too much of an uptick percentage-wise. The league average this season so far is 36.3% but that isn't the highest its been. Highest was 36.7% back in 2009 and 1996.

The last 5 years the average 3-point percentage has been:

35.8%
35.4%
35.0%
36.0%
35.9%

So nothing dramatic there. The 3-point attempts are at an all-time high though as the pace has been increasing year after year since the turn of the century with a heavier reliance on the outside shot.

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I was curious about this as well. It seems like every team has at least 2 40% 3-point shooters.

Overall though, I don't see too much of an uptick percentage-wise. The league average this season so far is 36.3% but that isn't the highest its been. Highest was 36.7% back in 2009 and 1996.

The last 5 years the average 3-point percentage has been:

35.8%
35.4%
35.0%
36.0%
35.9%

So nothing dramatic there. The 3-point attempts are at an all-time high though as the pace has been increasing year after year since the turn of the century with a heavier reliance on the outside shot.

Every year since 99-00 there has been around 25 guys who hit over 400. Your right though there seems to be a trend of the more average guys getting better. Increase in the numbers of both the median, and the mode.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.