Author Topic: Supreme Court allows enforcement of full travel ban  (Read 1160 times)

Re: Supreme Court allows enforcement of full travel ban
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 11:47:22 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5524
An Iraqi man accused of killing for the Islamic State entered the U.S. as a refugee after claiming to be a victim of terrorism, in a case drawing attention amid the Trump administration's criticism of the resettlement program's vetting process.

Omar Abdulsattar Ameen, 45, was arrested in California on Wednesday and will be extradited to Iraq under a treaty with that nation, U.S. officials said.

He made his first appearance in federal court in Sacramento after his arrest at an apartment building in the state capital.

Ameen left Iraq and fled in 2012 to Turkey, where he applied to be accepted as a refugee to the U.S., according to court documents.

He was granted that status in June 2014. That same month, prosecutors say he returned to Iraq, where he killed a police officer in the town of Rawah after it fell to the Islamic State. Five months later, Ameen traveled to the United States to be resettled as a refugee.

I wonder how many other terrorists slipped through in this manner.
So one terrorist slipped through the vetting cracks and then was identified as a terrorist and will be extradicted before he did anything. Sounds like the government did a great job there as no system is 100% perfect, but if it breaks down and you fix it before something bad happens, thats a good thing.

Unless Trump bans all immigrants into this country, some bad guys are going to get through. They are bad guys. They know how to work the system. But as long as you get them before bad things happen, then you're all good and the government has done their jobs.

The only way to ensure no bad people(Islamic terrorists or Latin American gangs, or organized crime ala the Russians, Italians, Chinese or Japanese) don't get in is to stop any type of immigration or refuge acceptance. And THAT is just unacceptable.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 11:53:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27665
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
An Iraqi man accused of killing for the Islamic State entered the U.S. as a refugee after claiming to be a victim of terrorism, in a case drawing attention amid the Trump administration's criticism of the resettlement program's vetting process.

Omar Abdulsattar Ameen, 45, was arrested in California on Wednesday and will be extradited to Iraq under a treaty with that nation, U.S. officials said.

He made his first appearance in federal court in Sacramento after his arrest at an apartment building in the state capital.

Ameen left Iraq and fled in 2012 to Turkey, where he applied to be accepted as a refugee to the U.S., according to court documents.

He was granted that status in June 2014. That same month, prosecutors say he returned to Iraq, where he killed a police officer in the town of Rawah after it fell to the Islamic State. Five months later, Ameen traveled to the United States to be resettled as a refugee.

So one terrorist slipped through the vetting cracks and then was identified as a terrorist and will be extradicted before he did anything. Sounds like the government did a great job there as no system is 100% perfect, but if it breaks down and you fix it before something bad happens, thats a good thing.

Unless Trump bans all immigrants into this country, some bad guys are going to get through. They are bad guys. They know how to work the system. But as long as you get them before bad things happen, then you're all good and the government has done their jobs.

The only way to ensure no bad people(Islamic terrorists or Latin American gangs, or organized crime ala the Russians, Italians, Chinese or Japanese) don't get in is to stop any type of immigration or refuge acceptance. And THAT is just unacceptable.

Halting immigration from certain places until the vetting system could be improved was a good idea.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 12:03:01 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5524

Halting immigration from certain places until the vetting system could be improved was a good idea.
I think it is and it isn't. It "protects" us from possible terrorists. But African -American gangs, Latin American gangs, and organized crime from Asia, Italy,  and Eastern Europe kill more Americans every day than Middle Eastern terrorists do.

I am not saying don't ban those people from those countries that Trump had banned. Put those people, no, put all people who want to come into this country through a rigorous vetting program. Crack down on all people who look to do this country harm. Not just the ones with dark skin.

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 58

I think it is and it isn't. It "protects" us from possible terrorists. But African -American gangs, Latin American gangs, and organized crime from Asia, Italy,  and Eastern Europe kill more Americans every day than Middle Eastern terrorists do.

I am not saying don't ban those people from those countries that Trump had banned. Put those people, no, put all people who want to come into this country through a rigorous vetting program. Crack down on all people who look to do this country harm. Not just the ones with dark skin.

The notion that Trump only wants to ban people with dark skin is misleading, irresponsible and divisive.

Did you forget 911 or ISIS beheading people(While Obama did nothing)? Come on Nick you can do better than this.

The 7 countries banned are North Korea, Venezuela, Syria, Yemen, Somalia,  Iran, Libya.
Of the top 10 Muslim countries only Iran is in that group. Saying that this is a muslim ban is ridiculous.

Trump has done a good job with ISIS.
Trump as brought more attention to the black deaths in Obama's home town Chicago.
Rahm Emanuel has let the people of Chicago down.
ICE is trying to get rid of Latin American gangs even with all the resistance from the left.

I am glad you agree with Trump that we should vet everyone it sounds like you want a better immigration system. But why do you have to add a false narrative to the statement.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:17:05 AM by Pucaccia »

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 11:45:26 AM »

Offline Erik

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • The voice of reason
I'm so glad that we needed the Supreme Court to remind us that the Executive Branch is in charge of conducting foreign affairs, immigration and overall safety of the country. I'm also glad that there are 4 supreme court justices that do not understand article 2 of the Constitution. If you don't like the immigration policy, change the executive branch or change the constitution.

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 12:04:30 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 201
I'm so glad that we needed the Supreme Court to remind us that the Executive Branch is in charge of conducting foreign affairs, immigration and overall safety of the country. I'm also glad that there are 4 supreme court justices that do not understand article 2 of the Constitution. If you don't like the immigration policy, change the executive branch or change the constitution.

Sounds good to me.

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 12:59:05 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The 7 countries banned are North Korea, Venezuela, Syria, Yemen, Somalia,  Iran, Libya.
Of the top 10 Muslim countries only Iran is in that group. Saying that this is a muslim ban is ridiculous.

Lol at Venezuela. Come on, man ::). How many more terrorists need to be born in and financed by Saudi Arabia before the families of the victims of 9/11 are even allowed to sue the House of Saud? That's both beyond ridiculous and incredibly suspicious, to me, and is made all the worse by absurd "rulings" such as this:

https://nypost.com/2018/05/01/9-11-victims-families-win-multibillion-dollar-settlement-against-iran/

Good luck enforcing that one, guys, LOL. ::)

Trump has done a good job with ISIS.

LMFA0, Trump has done absolutely nothing about ISIS ::). He is, however, and as usual, I might add, simply taking credit for the work that is being done by others, who in this case happen to be Russian air power and Syria.

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 02:03:44 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Umm, the President can neither make/enter into treaties nor go to war without Congressional approval.

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 07:15:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1061
Umm, the President can neither make/enter into treaties nor go to war without Congressional approval.

8 U.S.C. 1182(f), of the Immigration and Nationalization Act (INA), which give sweeping powers to the President about entry into the United States:

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.

That is,  “whenever” the President “finds” a “detriment[] to the interests of the United States” concerning “all” or “class of aliens,” he may “by proclamation” for as long as “he shall deem necessary” suspend” their entry into the United States or “impose” such “restrictions” upon entry “he may deem to be appropriate.” So, it’s almost: “whatever,” “whenever.” In its bedrock argument in the case, the Department of Justice argues that the language of 1182(f) “confirms the President’s discretion at every turn.” And DOJ could have added that it would be hard to find a comparable provision anywhere in the United States code.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1182

Umm, that is one of our laws, so yes, he did have the authority.   I took a break because I have an issue with people who are so flat out wrong on history and the like.   Looks like I should have stayed gone.

Whether you like Pres. Trump or not the laws suddenly do not change at his whim or when he becomes president against him just because you did not want him to win....

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 12:12:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

8 U.S.C. 1182(f), of the Immigration and Nationalization Act (INA), which give sweeping powers to the President about entry into the United States:

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.

That is,  “whenever” the President “finds” a “detriment[] to the interests of the United States” concerning “all” or “class of aliens,” he may “by proclamation” for as long as “he shall deem necessary” suspend” their entry into the United States or “impose” such “restrictions” upon entry “he may deem to be appropriate.” So, it’s almost: “whatever,” “whenever.” In its bedrock argument in the case, the Department of Justice argues that the language of 1182(f) “confirms the President’s discretion at every turn.” And DOJ could have added that it would be hard to find a comparable provision anywhere in the United States code.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1182

Umm, that is one of our laws, so yes, he did have the authority.   I took a break because I have an issue with people who are so flat out wrong on history and the like.   Looks like I should have stayed gone.

Whether you like Pres. Trump or not the laws suddenly do not change at his whim or when he becomes president against him just because you did not want him to win....

None of this, while helpful :), has anything to do with my post, so...

Glad to have you back, btw. :)

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »

Offline eja117

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1249

links?