Poll

Ignoring contracts, who would you rather keep?

Jaylen Brown
2 (5.1%)
Jayson Tatum
19 (48.7%)
I can't choose, they are both my adult sons
18 (46.2%)
I'd love to ditch them both (to select this option please close your browser)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Jaylen or Jayson: Who Would You Keep?  (Read 3413 times)

Jaylen or Jayson: Who Would You Keep?
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We've got a great "problem" - two talented top picks who are so promising we may be unable to keep both, either due to free agency or as trade bait for a superstar.

So my question is, if you had to pick, which one do you keep? I'm asking you to ignore contracts because we have Tatum locked down a year longer, and I don't want that to affect responses. I'd recommend ignoring perceived trade value too, like who you think would most likely bring us Davis or whoever. Just straight up, all else equal, which one do you want to stay?

I'll post my own response a little later on once a few people have chimed in.

Re: Jaylen or Jayson: Who Would You Keep?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I will be very disappointed in management and ownership if they can’t figure out how to keep both.  Those two should be Celtics for pretty much the next decade, and ideally even more than that.

And I know that’s not the question, but I reject it.  We really shouldn’t have to choose.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I will be very disappointed in management and ownership if they can’t figure out how to keep both.  Those two should be Celtics for pretty much the next decade, and ideally even more than that.

And I know that’s not the question, but I reject it.  We really shouldn’t have to choose.

I sympathize, but if Kyrie's in our long-term plans and Hayward medium-term, it'll be tricky with the kind of deals they're currently looking at. I did include that as an option though!

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The 2 main reasons you keep both is that:

-they are overpruducing at a high level based on their contract value.
-They complete the starting 5 nicely when Hayward returns

We have no holes when Hayward returns in the starting lineup. The main issues are our bench which Draft picks and free agent vets can provide prospects, backups and more scoring punches off the bench

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would rather the both option be removed since that is an obvious cop-out. I haven't hit the 'vote' button yet, but I imagine that will get [by far] the most clicks.

With that being said, I went with Tatum. It is painful because Jaylen is probably my favorite of the two, but everything just seems to come so easily to Jason. He is also a solid 1 1/2 years younger than Jaylen and reportedly has a similar work ethic.

I would guess that Brown might be the better team leader and defensive anchor and, luckily, I most likely won't have to choose, but Tatum's potential seems unlimited right now. He is already succeeding at his two biggest question marks - being 3pt shooting and defense - and I have little doubt he will be able to do whatever he wants at the offensive end while more than holding his own on defense.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 04:22:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I would rather the both option be removed since that is an obvious cop-out. I haven't hit the 'vote' button yet, but I imagine that will get [by far] the most clicks.

It's a honeypot for the bland and the spineless. Our opinions have zero impact on the team, folks! Hop off the fence and bring me the takes! I want them TAAAAAAAKES!

...honestly having two young guys who are both so promising that no one can stomach the idea of losing either is a pretty great  place for a fan base to find itself in. It's just kinda boring is all. TPs for anyone who can choose one and say why.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
For the sake of the argument, Tatum.  This his ceiling is higher.

But, for reality sake, I'm with SL on this; keep both. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I sympathize, but if Kyrie's in our long-term plans and Hayward medium-term, it'll be tricky with the kind of deals they're currently looking at. I did include that as an option though!

If they become the max players they can be, you figure it out, even at the expense of Hayward (who’s contract ends the same time Jayson’s or Jaylen’s new deal would begin, depending on his decision with his player option).  There is room for both of these two and Kyrie.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 04:47:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would have to keep Tatum as I think he has top 5 player in the league potential whereas I think Jaylen only has top 15 player in the league potential. I think Jaylen will be very Jimmy Butler like but with possibly a better 3 point shot. I don't have a good comparison for Tatum but he just is so smooth and clutch and has very little holes in his game at 19 years old.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 04:52:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would obviously want to keep them both but when Hayward is back, I am not sure that things are as seamless as many are implying.  At this point, I do not see Tatum as a long term primary PF.  Sure, he can get some minutes there but I think he primarily plays the same position as Hayward's primary position (Hayward can get minutes at SG as well).  This isn't a problem per se but when you are throwing around max contracts, you can't afford to have redundancy.

It will probably come down to letting Hayward go when his contract is done and signing Tatum to a max, which is still a long way off.  For now, I can live with some redundancy.  Hayward will have to play some at SG to allow Tatum to play SF primarily.  I think we can make it work for the duration of Tatum's rookie contract.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would have to keep Tatum as I think he has top 5 player in the league potential whereas I think Jaylen only has top 15 player in the league potential. I think Jaylen will be very Jimmy Butler like but with possibly a better 3 point shot. I don't have a good comparison for Tatum but he just is so smooth and clutch and has very little holes in his game at 19 years old.

Isn't Kahwi Leonard the perfect comparison?  And I like the Jimmy Butler - Jaylen Brown comparison.  They are not the same player but that is a good target level of talent and importance to the team.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
If I had to choose, it would be Tatum. He still has room to grow, and he is already holding his own playing PF. He is obviously an extremely gifted player offensively with very little holes.

Having said that, if the reason to trade either player is for a superstar, then are we assuming Brown or Tatum will not reach that level? Due to their respective talent levels, desire to improve and desire to be great, I believe it's possible that both guys can reach that level. Once Gordon comes back, the Celtics can possibly be the Warriors of the East because of Brown and Tatum.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Isn't Kahwi Leonard the perfect comparison?  And I like the Jimmy Butler - Jaylen Brown comparison.  They are not the same player but that is a good target level of talent and importance to the team.

See, I think Kawhi could wind up being the better comparison for Brown’s ceiling then Butler.  I don’t really have a viable comp for Tatum’s ceiling, which is really a compliment in itself.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

KD is my pick for for Tatum but as I mentioned I think that he'll eventually surpass him. We may have never seen anyone as skilled as Tatum this young (sure LeBron bullied his way to the basket and Kobe scored a bunch of points on a bunch of attempts). Leonard has a good offensive game, but it's not as smooth and it's a lot of jumpers and pull-ups. Tatum looks like he has his eyes closed the entire game. Also both he and KD both have great first step drives that can finish with long arm finger rolls. I've already said that you don't trade Tatum for anyone and you make room / go deep into luxury tax to keep him.

Brown? I wouldn't mind trading him in a package with SAC19 for a star. He's definitely less of a sure thing than Tatum. Brown still has a lot of work to get to where Tatum already is.

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It's a honeypot for the bland and the spineless. Our opinions have zero impact on the team, folks! Hop off the fence and bring me the takes! I want them TAAAAAAAKES!

...honestly having two young guys who are both so promising that no one can stomach the idea of losing either is a pretty great  place for a fan base to find itself in. It's just kinda boring is all. TPs for anyone who can choose one and say why.

So much for my prediction. TPs for anybody willing to choose? That's insanity!!  :o ;)

I don't think this poll will go well for Jaylen, but I can say with certainty that I love his attitude, his leadership qualities, and the ability he showed in improving nearly all aspects of his game (pretty dramatically) in one summer. We are in a great place with the future of this team!