Author Topic: Jayson Tatum having a historical 3PT shooting season  (Read 3302 times)

Jayson Tatum having a historical 3PT shooting season
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:59:26 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I just wanted to note that as of now, Jayson Tatum is officially leading the entire NBA in three point percentage, at 49.3%.

Currently the all-time records for 3PT% in a rookie season are:
* Anthony Morrow: 46.74%
* Drazen Petrovic: 45.95%
* DJ Augustin: 43.90%

Nearly 1/3 of the way through the season our own Jayson Tatum is on target to obliterate those records.

That he's also shooting 50% from the field and 83% from the line - on over 30 MPG is beyond impressive. 

Big love for JT!!

Re: Jayson Tatum having a historical 3PT shooting season
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I just wanted to note that as of now, Jayson Tatum is officially leading the entire NBA in three point percentage, at 49.3%.

Nearly 1/3 of the way through the season our own Jayson Tatum is on target to obliterate those records.

That he's also shooting 50% from the field and 83% from the line - on over 30 MPG is beyond impressive. 

Big love for JT!!

And he's only FREAKIN' 19 years old!

Jaylen Brown is also having an fantastic season, and he has an polished array of finishing moves...

My god, we have a bright young future!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 07:08:05 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Why you doin the Mike Gorman Jinx on our rook-?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 07:19:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
That's a Larry Bird type of number

Anyone remember the big question that scouts had- " can he shoot the 3?"

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Big love for JT!!

And he's only FREAKIN' 19 years old!

Jaylen Brown is also having an fantastic season, and he has an polished array of finishing moves...

My god, we have a bright young future!

True that, Jaylen Brown has been fantastic - I think he's already established himself as the #2 scorer on this team, ahead of Horford (who has been playing truly out of this world). 

In fact, how is this for shooting:

Kyrie: 48% / 38% / 87%
Brown: 46% / 41% / 60%
Tatum: 50% / 49% / 83%
Horford: 55% / 44% / 79%

That's four of our five starters - combine that efficiency with the best defense in the league, and it's no wonder this team is leading the NBA in the win column.  And only one of those four guys is over 25 year old lol wow

Imagine how unstoppable that team would be if you had Hayward slotted in between Brown and Tatum?  We could have all five starters shooting over 46% FG / 40% 3PT.  This could be one of the best shooting starting lineups of all time. 

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 07:24:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
At this point, even if Fultz is harden 2.0, we won that trade.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 07:33:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Once Hayward returns, it will round out the Celtic's starting 5 on both ends of the court, and will make them THAT much stronger then they are right now.

With Rozier and Morris already providing some two-way production off the bench, and Smart and Baynes carrying that second unit defensively, I feel like this Celtics squad is one consistent bench scorer away from being just as dominant offensively as they are defensively, come next season. 

add one consistent double-figure scoring to this second unit (Rozier, Smart, XXXX, Morris, Baynes) to compliment that starting five (Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford) and I genuinely believe that this team could beat the Warriors in a 7 game series.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Absolutely fantastic start to the season.

For the record, I absolutely hate FG% when you also use 3PT% since FG% includes 3PT%.  I wish everyone would just use 2PT% and 3PT%.  It is a much better measure.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

For the record, I absolutely hate FG% when you also use 3PT% since FG% includes 3PT%.  I wish everyone would just use 2PT% and 3PT%.  It is a much better measure.

I agree with your sentiment, though in truth each of those things is measuring something different and can tell you something different.

Even FG%, while it is a lousy measure of either shooting ability or scoring efficiency, nevertheless is still useful as a  measure of how many misses a player (or team) is committing.   Misses are important to note because roughly 75% of all misses will terminate your possession in the form of a rebound by the other team.   I.E., a miss is not quite as bad as a turnover, but close.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I agree with your sentiment, though in truth each of those things is measuring something different and can tell you something different.

Even FG%, while it is a lousy measure of either shooting ability or scoring efficiency, nevertheless is still useful as a  measure of how many misses a player (or team) is committing.   Misses are important to note because roughly 75% of all misses will terminate your possession in the form of a rebound by the other team.   I.E., a miss is not quite as bad as a turnover, but close.
Sure, I was more talking about when you use FG% with 3PT%, you should either use FG% (if it applies) and then 2PT% and 3PT%.  That is a topic for a different thread as I don't want to derail this one.

Again fantastic start for Tatum, though I don't expect him to keep this up and expect he will finish around 40% from 3 (which is still very good).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Sure, I was more talking about when you use FG% with 3PT%, you should either use FG% (if it applies) and then 2PT% and 3PT%.  That is a topic for a different thread as I don't want to derail this one.

Again fantastic start for Tatum, though I don't expect him to keep this up and expect he will finish around 40% from 3 (which is still very good).

Or perhaps around 51% after being unconscious last night.

But seriously, we are heavily under-utilizing Tatum on offense for how good he is.  Not complaining, but I mean to say that this makes it so all his looks are really good.  I think he could shoot 45%+.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He is as good as he is because he's not being asked to create. He's being asked to play off of Horford, Irving, and even Smart and Rozier. He's picking his spots perfectly.

Besides, I'm not sure we want him taking a beating for a full season as a 19 year old skinny rookie. He has to really work when he has to create because of his current physical frame. If he got 3-4 postups a game, it would wear him down and take his legs for late game shooting.

Tatum needs to continue to do what he is doing. Give him a few postups and ISOs. Give him a few pick-and-rolls as the ball handler. But mainly let him get his confidence up as a young player. Then, give him one off-season of work on his frame and slowly give him opportunities as his career develops.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 10:02:37 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Jayson Tatum is 39/76 on 3’s (51.3%)

Lonzo Ball is 16/32 on free throws (50%)

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He is as good as he is because he's not being asked to create. He's being asked to play off of Horford, Irving, and even Smart and Rozier. He's picking his spots perfectly.

That and we've been excellent at giving him spots to be effective in. There's a chicken-and-egg thing but it's basically been the perfect formula to build his confidence while giving him space to learn the NBA game before he's asked to do more on his own.

I'm extremely impressed by Tatum - who isn't? - but also with our coaching staff for working him into the team dynamic so well.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Would Tatum be shooting this well on other teams, probably not, he wouldn't be this open. I do think with more freedom and more control he could be scoring more, even if he's much less efficient. He would be easily taking 15 shots a game on the other teams that selected in the lotto. Tatum is in a situation that's a gift and a curse, he isn't going to get the love other rookies receive because of his teammates and coach. I know part of Balls hype is LA but even Russell and "Baby KD" weren't hyped as much. He's in the perfect situation but it's not as if any other rookie could do the same in his place (some would excel too but I don't see this level). JB wouldn't have in his first season and he was a top pick too. Given the chance I also don't see any of them being as clutch either. No one thinks ROY would be as clutch, right?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)