Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39159 times)

Re: Semi starting to wake up or heat up
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2017, 02:37:17 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
semi was garbage tonight

Brilliant analysis.

I'll bet you changed a lot of people's minds with this pithy, insightful declaration. Truly, this is a golden nugget worthy of Red Auerbach and the great tradition of Boston Celtics basketball.

I'd give you a TP, but it just doesn't seem adequate... like giving Beethoven a $5 tip for playing his last piano sonata, or giving Michelangelo a box of Girl Scout cookies to honor his Pieta.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:24:50 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2017, 03:06:00 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

It depends on what you mean by fine. If you mean back of the rotation guy, limited mpg off the bench, fill in for injured wings, then yes he will be fine. If you mean starter or impact player off the bench then I don't agree. I don't see him as an important part of a playoff team

For now, ninth/eighth man. The future looks bright, though, and I would not rule out a future as an NBA starter.

He is, without doubt, the best overall athlete on the team, in terms of being the total package of strength, speed, lateral movement and jumping.  So physically he has the tools.

We could add that he has picture-perfect shot mechanics and a veteran's feel for the game. The upside is big, the opportunity is there for him. Too bad about Hayward and Morris; if those guys were healthy there might not be much court time for Ojeleye, but rotation minutes for him are the silver lining of their loss.

I think a lot of his issues stem from an adjustment to the pro game and confidence in his ability.  He is also a rookie...

Yes, let's keep some perspective here. Jayson Tatum is a prodigy who is the very unusual exception to the rule of rookie mediocrity.

He has some nice price lockin and he is here to stay.  CBS loves him... 

Yes, kudos to Brad for getting him consistent developmental minutes. It's a marathon, not a sprint; and as he did with Jaylen last year, coach is putting up with the inevitable rookie mistakes and adjustment to team defense and the pace of the pro game - looking ahead to what Semi and Theis could contribute come playoff time.

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2017, 05:54:55 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Semi has got time in 31 games and he can quard 1-5 not many can do that-i have seen Brad use him in 4th quarter Some guys watching from a TV set or looking at some stats. while Semi is playing for Boston Celtics and is averaging 14 minutes .
Semi has to play 1-5 and with a mixture of players.Defense is so much more than running up the floor with all the screens and switching and the timing.There has been little continuity or experience to draw from.Getting used NBA strength,speed and length and guarding multiple positions with timing and help coverage so critical.Team defense is crucial to Bostons success

Brad has praised semi's defense as almost elite.AND BRAD IS TRUTHFUL

Semi can shoot and has a history of hitting threes at high % in college and after at Hoops House and tryouts-just aren't falling yet for whatever reason

I think i trust Brad and his staff rather than some critics-Semi is a rookie sometimes guarding all stars,some times even superstars and he will be needed over the season and in the playoffs
-I think Brad is telling him to shoot and his teammates are supportive.

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I found this pre-draft analysis to be pretty interesting and echoes many of my thoughts.

His shooting is really the only thing that intrigues me about him and even that I'm not super high on. Pretty clean mechanics, but stiff and I don't think he has great natural touch plus I've seen enough really bad misses that I don't think it's a guarantee it translates to being more than an average spot 3 shooter down the road w/limited versatility to his shot. Not sure how much off the dribble stuff he'll be able to do, but his pull-up jumper could help him out here.

He get's labeled as a good finisher, but I think he's going to be limited to open transition opportunities and cuts in the half court here. Whenever I saw him matched up against a team with size/athleticism, he looked pretty bad when he'd either have to dribble and finish or didn't have clear sight of the rim. Pretty rigid and seems to have poor ball+body control and lacks a left hand which leads to some pretty ugly finishes. Much better athlete in space vs traffic too which is troubling for a guy his size and considering those other issues.

Defensively, I'm not sure how his movement will translate to guarding high level perimeter players. Looks like he has pretty good feet and can get into a stance but just doesn't look that fluid changing direction and I think his lack of length limits his versatility here.

And as an interior defender, he really lacks a presence on floor. Fine positionally, but is often flat footed and overall just not very disruptive. Needs to learn to play harder and overall just compete at a higher level. He's a good athlete and has a strong frame, but really doesn't use it much at all right now. Distinct lack of effort/energy plays from him. This could be looked at as some untapped potential, or it could pigeon hole him into being a situational player who doesn't really have a defensive position and isn't dynamic enough offensively to make up for it.

His production and tools probably make him a fine pick somewhere in the 2nd round--I'd lean mid/late--but just a few too many skill/size translation question marks for me to get that excited about his role potential at the next level.

Great breakdown, this is why I come to this subreddit. I agree with everything you said here. Originally I was super high on him as a late round pick because of his size, versatility, age, and skill set but then diving into the numbers he's really only a good shooter who dominated lesser competition. He still has some value in the second round, but that's about it.

This is extremely late (just catching up to see what people think of SMU players), but this could not be more spot on.

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2017, 12:08:14 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
I think people are overstating his value. He's done a good job for a second rounder, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think he will be a regular rotation player going forward. If Gordon were healthy Semi wouldn't be playing at all. When Gordon comes back next season, I expect Semi's playing time to drop to practically nothing.

... you have to admit the way he moves his body on defense is fun to watch. It's like he is mimicking what the coaches do in practice. Wide base shuffling feet its all a thing of beauty to see someone do in today's NBA as a rookie.

... man the way he walls up his guy is something I enjoy watching.

However he does seem to over help at time but that's a rookie thing and he'll figure out over time when to help, when to rotate and when to just hang on his guy.

Good eye, Chilly.  Team defense is a steeper climb than individual, and Semi is getting the crash course, mistakes and all. It sure is great to watch his progress - he's a worker.

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:34 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
No doubt their games are VERY different. But Semi and Draymond actually have almost identical rookie stat lines in terms of points and minutes.

Draymond added 8 minutes more per game in year 2. Not sure if we have room for that
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2017, 07:58:25 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Amazing what length that some posters go to in an attempt to discredit rookies.The fact of going back to pre draft scouting reports that do not factor in improvement.Drew Hanlon is an NBA skills coach and has quite a client list at Pure Sweat
Pre draft he worked for three months with Tatum and Semi and other NBA prospects, so his opinions  MUST be listened too!!!He has coached Tatum since he was 14.
At HOOPS HOUSE both Semi and Tatum were part of a small group that lived together ,ate together and practiced together getting ready for tryouts.There are Videos brought out following this process in two parts-HOOPS HOUSE
.Hanlon actually stated semi lateral was just average and that they worked 45 minutes a day on this area turning him into 3rd fastest in lane agility at combine.
There was an interview on CLNS Deepdive with Hanlon and he stated how surprised he was that the Celts were to get him in 2nd round and he predicted Semi's rise in minutes  for a rookie.
Semi continues in the gym today working on strength for speed.Hanlon stated how hard it was to get NBA players to practice defense 45 minutes a day not problem for Semi
.He also mentioned some tweaks on form that were made resulting in good shooting at summer league-maybe Semi has fallen back into some bad habits-GO GET HANLON bring him up for a weekend with semi.
How many rookies quard 1-5 get put on Lebron,Giannis,porzingis and can keep guardsfrom turning the corner.
It is frustrating that posters call semi -"hot garbage or he sucks ,is not tough doesn't hustle and
 is a paper athlete.
This is a rookie playing team defense guarding point guards to centers,switching constantly and dealing with constantly changing lineups.
The level of Bostons defense(number one) is a testament of Celtic commitment and Semi has been part of it.It doesn't matter that Hayward and Morris are down it does matter that Semi was able to step up.
This in turn has allowed Danny to not make any hasty moves or rush Morris back.

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2017, 08:49:05 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
So Semi hires Hanlon, but Hanlon's opinions MUST be listened to. I'm sure he has no motivation whatsoever and his opinions are 100% impartial.

This notion that Semi is some super defender that can cover all positions really needs to stop. He's a good positional defender, but not great. As a team defender he's pretty poor and just 2 games ago Baynes was yelling at him for a missed rotation that caused an and-1. 

I'm thankful that he only received 4 minutes last game. We just look much better offensively going with a 3 guard lineup and giving Semi's minutes to Larkin and playing Snart at the 3.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:11:10 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Who cares what you think-its Brad that boosted Semis stock on defense-the more time he gets the better suited he will be for the next set of injuries. re you that short sighted.?
 Its better to listen to those that are more suited than your negative slant.Rookies need time to develop-rookies make mistakes-Semi is on a cost effective contract and can guard multiple positions.
You go back pre draft for a critique where there are a multitude of articles praising Semi's defense for a ROOKIE
Brad has played Semi in 4th quarters-obviously not for his shooting.
You watch a game from a TV have no pro experience or were coached by a talent like Brad or even trained at a Hanlon Level.There was celebration when the Celtics got Semi from the Hanlon group.
The best athlete at combine and at 240 lbs a NBA body-he keeps guards from turning the corner doesn't allow PF to back him down with his base and weight distribution,i have not seen many turnovers and surprisingly the refs are letting him play..
In today's game to find a player that has the lower body strength and lateral to fight over screens-Brad is grooming Semi-the playoffs get very physical and we will need him to have experience he is getting now.

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2017, 11:40:37 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
he went back into hibernation

just looks timid and also taking some bad shots.   i doubt CBS has instructed him to only shoot 3s

instead of chucking them when a defender is rushing you.... pump fake and drive to the basket or pump fake , stop and pop

not a very good passer

Defense is solid but until he can figure it out on offense,  he won't remain in the league very long

he is also a older rookie.   

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

just looks timid and also taking some bad shots.   i doubt CBS has instructed him to only shoot 3s

instead of chucking them when a defender is rushing you.... pump fake and drive to the basket or pump fake , stop and pop

not a very good passer

Defense is solid but until he can figure it out on offense,  he won't remain in the league very long

I agree with pretty much everything you said there. I would say that his overall feel offensively is really lacking. No passing or ballhandling to speak of. People just like to put on blinders and pretend he's something special, when he's clearly not.

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Who cares what you think-its Brad that boosted Semis stock on defense-the more time he gets the better suited he will be for the next set of injuries. re you that short sighted.?
 Its better to listen to those that are more suited than your negative slant.Rookies need time to develop-rookies make mistakes-Semi is on a cost effective contract and can guard multiple positions.
You go back pre draft for a critique where there are a multitude of articles praising Semi's defense for a ROOKIE
You watch a game from a TV have no pro experience or were coached by a talent like Brad or even trained at a Hanlon Level.There was celebration when the Celtics got Semi from the Hanlon group.
The best athlete at combine and at 240 lbs a NBA body-he keeps guards from turning the corner doesn't allow PF to back him down with his base and weight distribution,i have not seen many turnovers and surprisingly the refs are letting him play..
In today's game to find a player that has the lower body strength and lateral to fight over screens-Brad is grooming Semi-the playoffs get very physical and we will need him to have experience he is getting now.
You criticize a fellow poster for watching basketball games on tv?  For not having professional experience or playing for a coach as good as perhaps the best coach in the world?  That’s just weird stuff to say.  So weird.

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I like his defense but his offense leaves a lot to be desired right now.  If his shot starts falling he will be useful but all he does is jack up threes basically.  He really hardly looks to do anything else.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2017, 05:49:37 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
You criticize a fellow poster for watching basketball games on tv?  For not having professional experience or playing for a coach as good as perhaps the best coach in the world?  That’s just weird stuff to say.  So weird.

For some strange reason he seems to get really hostile when anyone criticizes Semi (not sure why, but that's another story) or disagrees with any of his views. So wacky comments like that is simply the result of his emotions getting the best of him.

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2017, 07:06:07 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

not a very good passer

true this