Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39279 times)

Re: Semi starting to wake up or heat up
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Baiting again Eddie-Semi replaced Nader forme because of his athleticism and defense-Nader comps were when we had young-i started watching semi at Hoops House in his draft interviews and a Boy Scout video on you tube before he was drafted in May--how did you like semis eurostep.
Nothing like a failed low level player to take pot shots at our rookies
Seems Brad had plans for baynes after all.
I'll listen to Brad on Semis defense as you sit watching your TV-no girlfriend -home alone again.

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2017, 06:48:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Rollie, you can make good basketball points without any personal attacks. You really are better than this.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Baiting again Eddie-Semi replaced Nader forme because of his athleticism and defense-Nader comps were when we had young-i started watching semi at Hoops House in his draft interviews and a Boy Scout video on you tube before he was drafted in May--how did you like semis eurostep.
Nothing like a failed low level player to take pot shots at our rookies
Seems Brad had plans for baynes after all.
I'll listen to Brad on Semis defense as you sit watching your TV-no girlfriend -home alone again.

You use the term "baiting" and then you type the above? No GF? Ok, lol, you definitely don't know me. Speaking of GF's, you're a little old there, pal, so that's a topic you probably don't want to "bring up".

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2017, 07:09:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay let's knock it off. Little advice for both of you, ignore the others' posts because if you don't there will be repercussions.

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2017, 07:55:53 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Gladly-i have been posting to the moderator about his stalking and baiting-

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2017, 07:51:18 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
...  maybe he's just an end of the bench guy that isn't very good.

Actually he's in the rotation.

Or are you making a prediction?

Only due to necessity because Hayward is hurt. Hell, he might be out of rotation if we fill the remaining roster spot with someone decent.

You seem sure of yourself. Would you care to predict how many minutes he plays this season?

With a healthy Hayward, he'd be in the spot minute boat along with Larkin, and ahead of Yabu and Nader. This isn't exactly going out on a limb, though. Talent wise Semi is an end of the bench guy and there is an argument to be made that he wouldn't be getting minutes on many teams.

The argument for Semi actually being a good player is a little weird.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3056602/semi-ojeleye

So. Would you be willing to back up your scouting with a minutes prediction?

I'm not sure how to quantify that when you factor in the uncertainty of injuries.

You can't. But if you have any sporting blood, you can make a prediction. I'm disappointed that you aren't willing to put your money where your mouth is... or TP's, which would be appropriate to wager in a situation like this.

Actually, you did make a prediction - you said that he's an end-of-the bench player, despite the fact that he's already getting rotation minutes; in fact he's ninth on the team.

I'm guessing you think Semi is a good player. Sorry, I don't.

No problem. It's looking like you'll get plenty of time to change your mind.

Semi's best skill is his ability to move his feet laterally and play sound positional defense.

You're not quite getting how remarkable he is - but his coach does. He's got the strength to stand his ground with bigger stronger players and the speed to stay with quicker ones, and to do it without fouling; in fact, Brad has put him on some of the league's toughest covers, big and small. Brad's remark about putting him on Devin Booker (!) is telling; he said he was "kicking himself" for not doing it sooner. But Ojeleye also smothered Porzingis and Greek Freak. This is in November and December of his rookie year.

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I agree that Brad has confidence in Semi, and that means a lot. But to say that he's smothering players on D just isn't true. He has had a few good moments on D, but for the most part his D has not been special. It's been okay. Now, for a rookie, and a second round pick, okay D is pretty impressive. But he is not the defensive force people are trying to make him out to be. As far as mpg go, that is mostly a matter of injuries. With a healthy Hayward and Morris I don't think Semi sees much time at all.

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:21 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
semi was garbage tonight
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2017, 07:16:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
semi was garbage tonight

He's garbage every night and he's part of the problem with our bench scoring. Him playing alongside Smart, and to a lesser degree Rozier, compounds our bench scoring/shooting issues. It's just more of an issue because unlike those two, he brings nothing else to the table offensively.

Playing 14 MPG and only averaging 2.6 PPG, 2.2 RPG, 0.2 APG, 0.0 BPG, and 0.4 SPG is pretty hard to do, but Semi's making it look really easy. Statistically speaking he's also our worst shooter. His FG% is a team worst 31.6% (worse than Smart by a hair), his 3PT% is a team worst 27% (Smart's is at 28%), and his FT% is also a team worst at 58% (Brown is 2nd at 60%).

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2017, 07:41:48 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Semi's been disappointing offensively.   Last night had a great opportunity to hit an open corner 3 that would have put the C's in the game and energized team and crowd.  As he's been doing consistently, he missed.   That's a shot he should be making regularly.   On defense he's looking like he belongs and can make positive contributions.  But he needs to hit the 3.

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
That's just it, his defense is not as good as people are saying. For a rookie second round draft pick it's better than you would expect, but he regularly gets beat. He has had a few really impressive moments, like against Giannis, but those are few and far between. What's really going on is the Celts are short-handed and he can step in and play okay defense at the wing, but if Hayward and Morris were healthy he wouldn't be playing at all. Right now he's not good. He's bad. Maybe he'll get better, I hope so, but I haven't seen anything to make me expect it. I also think people are putting too much emphasis on his college stats. Now that we have NBA stats to look at those are meaningless. Yes, he shot the three well in college. But it's a shorter 3 and he didn't play against top competition. It's not surprising that it is not translating.

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2017, 10:44:33 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think Semi will be fine.

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2017, 12:23:15 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
It depends on what you mean by fine. If you mean back of the rotation guy, limited mpg off the bench, fill in for injured wings, then yes he will be fine. If you mean starter or impact player off the bench then I don't agree. I don't see him as an important part of a playoff team.

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It depends on what you mean by fine. If you mean back of the rotation guy, limited mpg off the bench, fill in for injured wings, then yes he will be fine. If you mean starter or impact player off the bench then I don't agree. I don't see him as an important part of a playoff team

I, think Semi will be fine.    He is, without doubt, the best overall athlete on the team, in terms of being the total package of strength, speed, lateral movement and jumping.  So physically he has the tools.

I think a lot of his issues stem from an adjustment to the pro game and confidence in his ability.  He is also a rookie and unlike Nader, Semi can stay in front of his man, isn't a black hole on offense and tries on defense.

He has some nice price lockin and he is here to stay.  CBS loves him, forgive me if I trust him over you.   

And BTW how is Pegasus doing?   No ill feelings after that fall?

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
This is you on Semi...

I, think Semi will be fine.   He is, without doubt, the best overall athlete on the team, in terms of being the total package of strength, speed, lateral movement and jumping.  So physically he has the tools.

I think a lot of his issues stem from an adjustment to the pro game and confidence in his ability. 

This is you on Bender...

Perhaps there is an opening in a ballet?   

The NBA does not rate guys how they move, they rate them by how they contribute to winning and stat production.   

I guess you aren't above being hypocritical since the things you are praising in the 23-year-old Semi are the SAME things you criticize in the much more talented and younger 20-year-old Bender. At least be consistent, man.

Here's a comparison between the two that might ease your troubles in objectivity...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Dragan+Bender&player_id1_select=Dragan+Bender&y1=2018&player_id1=bendedr01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Semi+Ojeleye&player_id2_select=Semi+Ojeleye&y2=2018&player_id2=ojelese01&idx=players