Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39319 times)

Re: Semi starting to wake up or heat up
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Now that we have NBA stats to look at, I think college stats are not particularly relevant. As I said, maybe he will develop, but I haven't seen anything so far that makes me think he will be an impact player. It's early, and he's young, although years older than Brown and Tatum, and there was a reason he slipped to the second round, teams clearly don't think he's a big time prospect. Some second rounders become impact players, but not many. Semi could end up being one of them, the trust Brad has shown is a big positive, but I still think if Hayward were healthy he wouldn't be playing. Nothing I have seen so far makes me think he will play much next year when Hayward is back.
You are so wrong...
Semi is a very good shooter and will definetly be better than crowder soon enough , and he will have at least bench player time like Rozier last year even when Hayward came back

You can take it to the bank
That's bold. Semi certainly has talent and shows sign of being a solid 3-and-D NBA player but he's got to put in the work and improve a lot before he gets to were Crowder was his two full seasons in Boston.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
danny has picked a few NBA rotation players from the second round. Semi is the first in a while. Glen Davis,
Gomes, and ETwuan Moore are examples. Semi seems like he can play NBA defense and hit the 3. Proving that and staying healthy should keep him around long enough to vest in the pension plan at least.

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
danny has picked a few NBA rotation players from the second round. Semi is the first in a while. Glen Davis,
Gomes, and ETwuan Moore are examples. Semi seems like he can play NBA defense and hit the 3. Proving that and staying healthy should keep him around long enough to vest in the pension plan at least.
Moore is still in league and last i saw giving good minutes
If semi can give us good minutes for his time here then a +

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2017, 06:48:15 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Now that we have NBA stats to look at, I think college stats are not particularly relevant. As I said, maybe he will develop, but I haven't seen anything so far that makes me think he will be an impact player. It's early, and he's young, although years older than Brown and Tatum, and there was a reason he slipped to the second round, teams clearly don't think he's a big time prospect. Some second rounders become impact players, but not many. Semi could end up being one of them, the trust Brad has shown is a big positive, but I still think if Hayward were healthy he wouldn't be playing. Nothing I have seen so far makes me think he will play much next year when Hayward is back.
You are so wrong...
Semi is a very good shooter and will definetly be better than crowder soon enough , and he will have at least bench player time like Rozier last year even when Hayward came back

You can take it to the bank
That's bold. Semi certainly has talent and shows sign of being a solid 3-and-D NBA player but he's got to put in the work and improve a lot before he gets to were Crowder was his two full seasons in Boston.
I won't argue he needs time to improve, but he already shut down Greek Freak in short period in his what? 6th NBA game?, something Crowder can never do in his career, also that finish versus Lakers too.
And i am confident his 3 will be very serviceable come THIS year playoff time, like Rozier last year, which yeah, means better than Crowder..

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2017, 07:24:52 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
...  maybe he's just an end of the bench guy that isn't very good.

Actually he's in the rotation.

Or are you making a prediction?

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Only due to necessity because Hayward is hurt. Hell, he might be out of rotation if we fill the remaining roster spot with someone decent.

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Only due to necessity because Hayward is hurt. Hell, he might be out of rotation if we fill the remaining roster spot with someone decent.

You seem sure of yourself. Would you care to predict how many minutes he plays this season?

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 09:40:04 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

You seem sure of yourself. Would you care to predict how many minutes he plays this season?

With a healthy Hayward, he'd be in the spot minute boat along with Larkin, and ahead of Yabu and Nader. This isn't exactly going out on a limb, though. Talent wise Semi is an end of the bench guy and there is an argument to be made that he wouldn't be getting minutes on many teams.

The argument for Semi actually being a good player is a little weird.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3056602/semi-ojeleye

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2017, 12:02:01 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

With a healthy Hayward, he'd be in the spot minute boat along with Larkin, and ahead of Yabu and Nader. This isn't exactly going out on a limb, though. Talent wise Semi is an end of the bench guy and there is an argument to be made that he wouldn't be getting minutes on many teams.

So. Would you be willing to back up your scouting with a minutes prediction?

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2017, 12:18:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

So. Would you be willing to back up your scouting with a minutes prediction?

I'm not sure how to quantify that when you factor in the uncertainty of injuries. I'm guessing you think Semi is a good player. Sorry, I don't. There are many other limited players across the league and abroad that bring as much to table as he does.

Semi's best skill is his ability to move his feet laterally and play sound positional defense. However, he's not going to rebound for you or play passing lanes defensively. Offensively he's negligible in every facet. I'm not sure there is one thing he does well at an NBA level on offense. The adage "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" is what I think of when I see Semi. On looks alone you expect an athletic beast with a high motor that creates havoc in transition and around the basket. Semi just isn't that.

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
He is a better than good defensive player as Brad has stated  bordering elite and he is a rookie that can shoot, just not yet-
You have some serious hate for Semi eddie  as he is good enough to play 4th quarter or guard the best in league-
by the playoffs his defense will be needed against Lebron.
A rookie second round elite athlete playing minutes against the best and has got time in 4th quarters.Sounds like your missing the point DEFENSE and he can shoot well above average just not dropping yet
You claim to be an ex d level player and can't recognize his defensive excellence as a rookie and his usage because of it-it shows how bad you must have been to not to see and appreciate what most see or are you simply a hater disguised as a critical fan.
Every time you post his shooting stats you just strengthen the case of his defense.

You have stated Semi sucks and doesn't hustle and is a paper athlete and your poor ego will not let you see his defense but Brad does ,Danny does and his teammates do, as well as fans.
He is gifted defensively
-He is gifted athletically and his lateral agility and strength are un matched as a rookie-and his ability to switch and play multiple defenders is unmatched.
Nobody can teach what he has.
 Plus his work ethic and character.   AND HE CAN SHOOT

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
As a ROOKIE that will not get calls and have them go against him-Why would he throw himself around-the hardest part of defense early is playing positionally and you give that as his strength,another is lateral agility something you can't teach and critical in which he is elite
-He is in the gym daily working out for quickness and speed-unmatched work ethic and character
The list of all stars he has guarded is unmatched as a rookie.And they get star calls
His sprint time and vertical was elite at combine yet you claim no motor.Guards 1-5 go figure it.
He was number one pick and pop in NCAA and 3rd iso- and 40% from three.
He is a rookie and will draw fouls throwing himself around-
No motor from your TV set.I think you need a Jane-
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:43:18 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2017, 03:51:15 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Semi is not a borderline elite defensive player, at least not right now. His defense so far is okay, not great. He had some terrific plays against Giannis earlier in the year, but those have been few and far between. In most games his defense has been average at best. He could get better, but also it is possible he won't. I tend to think that he won't have much of a chance once Hayward gets back. There simply won't be that many mpg for him. I'm not rooting against Semi, no one would be happier than me if ended up being an impact player. I simply haven't seen anything that makes me expect that from him. Right now he is not a good player. I hope he gets better, but I'm not convinced it's likely.

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2017, 04:58:50 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
I think i'll listen to Brad on that

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2017, 05:13:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Semi is not a borderline elite defensive player, at least not right now. His defense so far is okay, not great. He had some terrific plays against Giannis earlier in the year, but those have been few and far between. In most games his defense has been average at best. He could get better, but also it is possible he won't. I tend to think that he won't have much of a chance once Hayward gets back. There simply won't be that many mpg for him. I'm not rooting against Semi, no one would be happier than me if ended up being an impact player. I simply haven't seen anything that makes me expect that from him. Right now he is not a good player. I hope he gets better, but I'm not convinced it's likely.

I'll just chalk it up to the shiny new toy syndrome. It happens yearly. A new player, usually a prospect, latches on our team and is instantly overrated. Last year a certain someone (cough, Rollie, cough) was also overrating Nader based on D-League play. The year before it was Mickey, before him it was Young, and before them it was Faverani. Next year it'll be someone else. Rinse and repeat on the forum.